• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on CGC storage..

13 posts in this topic

I know that this has been brought up before so I apologize.

I am wondering how you guys store your CGC'd comics?

I've seen on the boards before that some people put their's in a CGC comic box?

Where's the best place to buy them?

Right now I have them laying on top of my filing cabinet, in the closet. But I am worried that there could be some damage to them....I asked this question in another board, but could a larger Rubbermaid container be acceptable for CGC comics? The thought has crossed my mind....

I am currently storing my newer comics in a rubbermaid container until I transfer them to a regular comic box...I realize that long term exposure to laying flat could mess with the spine of bagged and boarded, but should I be concerned for CGC'd comics?

Thanks as always...as your knowledge is invaluable!

Bruce

Right now I have them laying on top of my filing cabinet, in the closet. But I am worried that there could be some damage to them....I asked this question in another board, but could a larger Rubbermaid container be acceptable for CGC comics? The thought has crossed my mind....

I am currently storing my newer comics in a rubbermaid container until I transfer them to a regular comic box...I realize that long term exposure to laying flat could mess with the spine of bagged and boarded, but should I be concerned for CGC'd comics?

Bruce

Here you go... http://www.hotflips.com/index.php?cPath=5_83

Bruce

Here you go... http://www.hotflips.com/index.php?cPath=5_83

Thanks Hotflips...

HOTFLIPS is the place to get em...I just picked up a two more the other day! Great boxes, nice and sturdy as well...thanks Jeff!!!

On another note, finished bagging my X-men run 1-300 today with some mylite2's and boards I got from HOTFLIPS...now its onto my Ironman run...be seeing you soon Jeff...lol.

I deslab them and store them in mylite2s with fullbacks. I clip the cgc label out, and slide it in the back.

I deslab them and store them in mylite2s with fullbacks. I clip the cgc label out, and slide it in the back.

Why?

I mean, I can understand it if it's been several years since it was slabbed, and you want to replace the microchamber paper...but if you never intended to keep the book in a slab, why buy a slabbed book in the first place? You pay a premium for slabbed books. You could buy a raw for much less than a slab, and if you're worried about accurate grading, buy from the 'selling only' forum here (nix feebay). Overgraders don't last long here.

I buy CGC slabs for SS mainly, and I only buy from these forums these days. I bought a CGC 6.0 Hulk #181 from here recently, only because I didn't see any raw ones for sale (and it was a good price). However, if there had been a raw 6.0 for sale here, I'd have bought that instead.

Don't say it's 'because I want to be able to read it', either. Unless you're a GA collector, there's no excuse for not having a 'reader copy' that you could pick up for pennies on the dollar, like this:

181reader.jpg

I also subscribe to Marvel's digital comics, so I can 'see' most of my collection.

I just can't see purchasing a slabbed comic when I know I'm going to crack it. I'm not robojo33. :insane:

Why?

I mean, I can understand it if it's been several years since it was slabbed, and you want to replace the microchamber paper...but if you never intended to keep the book in a slab, why buy a slabbed book in the first place? You pay a premium for slabbed books. You could buy a raw for much less than a slab, and if you're worried about accurate grading, buy from the 'selling only' forum here (nix feebay). Overgraders don't last long here.

I buy CGC slabs for SS mainly, and I only buy from these forums these days. I bought a CGC 6.0 Hulk #181 from here recently, only because I didn't see any raw ones for sale (and it was a good price). However, if there had been a raw 6.0 for sale here, I'd have bought that instead.

Don't say it's 'because I want to be able to read it', either. Unless you're a GA collector, there's no excuse for not having a 'reader copy' that you could pick up for pennies on the dollar.

I also subscribe to Marvel's digital comics, so I can 'see' most of my collection.

I just can't see purchasing a slabbed comic when I know I'm going to crack it. I'm not robojo33. :insane:

I buy slabbed books for less than guide all the time from eBay auctions and on these boards :shrug: Often, you can get them cheaper than raw equivalents....,

I like to have uniform storage for my books. All my permanent collection is raw - why would I keep a few misc. issues in slabs? In different boxes? :shrug:

I especially want to get any squarebounds out of the slab before permanent warping damage is done.

and...., I do like to read them. I do not enjoy reading lengthy items on a computer screen. :thumbsup:

I can see your perspective, sir. I just wonder why you'd buy a slab when a raw copy is cheaper 99% of the time, especially on these boards. I've learned that any book I want is bound to show up on these boards eventually. See my sig line? I've since bought most of them from people on these forums. I understand that sometimes you get a 'deal' on E-Bay on a slab, but I bet if you posted in the want-ads here you'd get the same book, cheaper.

I can see your perspective, sir. I just wonder why you'd buy a slab when a raw copy is cheaper 99% of the time, especially on these boards. I've learned that any book I want is bound to show up on these boards eventually. See my sig line? I've since bought most of them from people on these forums. I understand that sometimes you get a 'deal' on E-Bay on a slab, but I bet if you posted in the want-ads here you'd get the same book, cheaper.

I have sigs turned off, so no, I don't see it.

I've been collecting for 37 plus years so am picking up the last few books for my collection. Books that I typically have six raw copies of that were all "not keepers".

There was a CGC 9.0 book posted here today for $90..., I picked the same grade/PQ CGC 9.0 grade book off ebay last night for $40.

Any time I post a want to buy here, all I get is offers from @ss-rapers for three times guide on a raw book.

If I can determine from the scan that a raw book is nice, and at a good price, I would always choose the raw. That is a big if.

When I first started buying Silver Age books I'd do the same. Buy slabs, crack 'em open and store away in Mylar. I was buying 7.5-8.5 cause you can get them cheap and guarantee the grades. Buying raw was a joke... Now that I buy higher grade I keep them slabbed.

I think for common low or midgrade books, there is little if any premium attached to the slab. Crack away and save some space if you plan on keeping it.

Keys and high grade is a different story...