• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sean's Wondercon report - now with pictures!

3 posts in this topic

75149.jpg

'Nuff said!

Ok, really.

I only went Saturday. Socratic Wonder found me in line and we trundled off to the House of Comics booth to say hi to Marc. Lucky for me, CGC was across the aisle. I dropped off some Bronze Batmans and Brave and Bolds for grading (9.4+ :wishluck: ) then spoke to Kevin Boyd about getting Brian Azzarello's signature on a pair of 100 Bullets. His response was, "Leave them with me and I'll take care of it." A few minutes later, he said, "Dave Johnson's here. I'll get his signature on these also. Too bad Risso's not here." Kevin was great, got my books signed, and got one more signature than I was anticipating. Much kudos to him.

I shopped. SW and I went over to Metro's booth where they had some Jumbos for me to look at. One was a great-looking 75 graded at 7.5 I was ready to buy until I looked inside and saw the centerfold hanging on by half a staple. One good wind and that 7.5 would be a 6.0. I passed. I did buy a Jumbo Comics 90 and 92 from them which now gives me Jumbo 83-112 in an unbroken run.

I also looked for a Daredevil v2 #8. (Socratic Wonder: "Why do you want a #8 with that crappy Stiltman?" Me: "I need a #8 from the second series. It's the last one I need for the run." SW: "Oh, that makes sense.") Finding the #8 proved to be challenge. I found lots of 7s and 9s and kept getting distracted by Golden Age. Right before lunch I found a half-price zombie variant 112 that I snapped up. ("Oooh. Zombie. I'll take it.") Needless to say, it took me about 90 minutes to find the #8 and the dealer that had it, had two. They were the only ones I saw at the show.

Lunch was with SW, Innocuous, and Batman Fan. We went the Chevy's for Mexican food. They had Margaritas, I didn't. I didn't feel like drinking (and did much later on). A few great books and Innocuous' sketches were passed around, as well as the original art to a Copper Detective cover. (See Innocuous' report for photos.) Lunch was great fun.

Afterward, more shopping. I bought a big stack of nice Jonah Hex's from one seller and a few Mad magazines from others. The Mads were to recapture my youth. I looked at lots of Golden Age and chatted with quite a few dealers, but didn't buy anything. There's a few books I feel I should have bought, but I found the dealers online so I will go after them there.

Way down in the artists alley I found a small booth that had about twelve books hanging on the wall and several boxes of copper books. On the wall was a bright white 3-D Sheena that was graded as VG/F. I asked if it had the glasses attached and, sure enough, it did. In hand, the book looked much better than VG/F. I snapped it up immediately. This is one of those books that generally suffers from browning and dirt on a bright white cover (like Batman 100 or Daredevil 1). This copy is glossy and clean. I showed it to SW later and he agreed it's undergraded. Probably my best find of the day.

After the show, I met up with Socratic Wonder, his girlfriend, and my wife. We went to dinner at a restaurant in Golden Gate Park then headed down to Bourbon and Branch for some excellent drinks. After B&B, we drove out to Alameda to visit Forbidden Island for some more drinking. A few friends showed up unexpectedly so it was a great evening overall.

On Sunday, I got non-buyer's regret, but I still had a pocketful of cash so I'll pick up a few more books I saw through mail order.

I have a few pictures, but my camera lens got smudged and I didn't notice until Sunday. I'll post them later this evening.

nice report!

Kudos to Kevin Boyd, he is good like that with the extra sigs!!

75149.jpg

I only went Saturday. Socratic Wonder found me in line and we trundled off to the House of Comics booth to say hi to Marc. Lucky for me, CGC was across the aisle. I dropped off some Bronze Batmans and Brave and Bolds for grading (9.4+ :wishluck: ) then spoke to Kevin Boyd about getting Brian Azzarello's signature on a pair of 100 Bullets. His response was, "Leave them with me and I'll take care of it." A few minutes later, he said, "Dave Johnson's here. I'll get his signature on these also. Too bad Risso's not here." Kevin was great, got my books signed, and got one more signature than I was anticipating. Much kudos to him.

Photos! :banana:

Socratic Wonder and Matt Nelson

P1010018.jpg

Not the best Zatanna and Rorschach out there

P1010019.jpg

Squirrel Girl for the Great Lakes Avengers.

P1010021_edited-1.jpg

Cap's not dead, he's just busy packing away the cheeseburgers

P1010023.jpg

Zombie nurse

P1010026.jpg

Socratic Wonder shows off his recent acquisitions

P1010029.jpg

Sheena and Sheenas

P1010031.jpg