• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A brief Mega-Con report

38 posts in this topic

Yeah I completely agree....but to be honest I was pretty much at the CGC booth all day Sunday. I was hoping fellow boardies would have stopped by to drop off books.

there is a collector's society pin i got when you sign up for a memebership. i signed up last year, is this new?

I got one this year...the first time I have ever received one and I have been a paying member for at least 5 years.... hm

Yeah I completely agree....but to be honest I was pretty much at the CGC booth all day Sunday. I was hoping fellow boardies would have stopped by to drop off books.
I hardly speak to anyone at the CGC booth as 1) I don't really know them from the boards or 2) They are either busy or look pretty disinterested in the idea of speaking to me.

there is a collector's society pin i got when you sign up for a memebership. i signed up last year, is this new?

I got one this year...the first time I have ever received one and I have been a paying member for at least 5 years.... hm

This is my first year as a paid member and what a great time to start! :acclaim:

I hardly speak to anyone at the CGC booth as 1) I don't really know them from the boards or 2) They are either busy or look pretty disinterested in the idea of speaking to me.

That's too bad... they always talk to me and are actually quite friendly. I'm usually shy.

Hang in there: eventually someone somewhere will break down and show some kind of interest of some sort in speaking with you, Michael :baiting:

Did not bring a camera doh!

Shared Mike's booth with kingofrulers, inhuman_fiend. It was a little tight but with everyone floating around, looking at books, working out deals the booth was always properly manned.

First day was a bust for me as sales went. If the rest of the show was like Friday I was in trouble. Granted I was selling $1 books but they were GI Joe titles, TMNT, Marvel and DC major titles plus a select handful of slabbed books.

Did a lot of talking and it is funny watching people go through dollar bins. Actually had a few people ask if they could take books out and inspected them like you would a 9.6 copy of FF #1.

A few of us went to a Brazilian steak house and ate until we were about to burst. Company and food was great. By the time I drove home and got settled it was 2 AM. Big enough group to talk to everyone without asking "You were there"? Got to meet Jim (cgcworlds) whole family and was impressed by how well behaved/polite his children were. They must spend a lot of time with thier mom.

Saturday the place was packed. Saw more skin and underwear than you would on a Victoria's Secret runway. Some did not really belong or fit into the outfits they were wearing. Still, it provided a great deal of entertainment value.

Sales on Saturday put me well into the black and I could breath easier from that point on. Sold a few slabs and some small $$$ wall books. Had a few first appearance books and two copies on NM #98 that did not sell until the last few hours of the show.

Dinner at Vito's was great. Got to meet a few new boardies and say high to a few old friends from last year. Oddly enough I was so steaked out from Friday I ordered pasta with meatballs, or I should say cannon balls. They had to weight a pound each. I ate half of one and the pasta. Again dinner and the company was great. The table was a long table in the corner so we could be loud and not worry too much, only drawback was you had to get up and walk to talk to other forum members. Was sandwhiched between Arex and Watson and was constantly asked by Arex what kind of salad was in my drink (Mojito).

Waited till the end of the show on Sunday to do any real buying. Actually spent all of my profit from the show and re-invested it into more books. By the end of the day I missed the few board members that left early to avoid the weather and the show rapidly started to slow down by about 3:30.

Talked to most of the major dealers and while it was not a great show most said they did OK. Considering many are now dipping into 401k's and savings to pay their bills OK is more than good enough.

Thanks to McMiles, King of Rulers and of course you Joe for letting me share the booth with you guys. It was a lot of fun being at my first show in forever...I got to know several boardies and made a little spending money as well! (thumbs u

That being said, I was completely unprepared for the freak show that clogged the aisles most of the time...although it was certainly entertaining, all they did was loiter and pose for pictures. They were constantly in the way and definitely weren't buying any comics. Heck they weren't buying anything period...I think Dale Roberts summed it up very well in pointing out that those costumes don't have any pockets! So, I couldn't agree more with others who have suggested they completely separate the comics from all the other buffoonery next year.

I was able to bring my 10-year old daughter in for a few hours Saturday afternoon and she was so amused by the circus that she almost cried when the show closed down for the evening. Her favorite was a creepy middle-age guy dressed in some sort of random lime-green leotard that featured openings in the front and back that showed his lovely pot belly in the front and even more lovely butt-crack viewing in the back. When he bent over (which of course he did often) I almost threw up and my daughter practically sprayed diet pepsi through her nose. Joe did warn me when I asked him if the show was kid-friendly, but still...all-in-all it was great family fun! doh!

But anyway, it was a great experience and I learned a lot just hanging around so many board members. I sat near Borock, Captain Tripps, Mr.Bedrock and Detective27Kid at the forum dinner and heck, each of those guys has more comic knowledge in one hair follicle than I'll every accumulate in this lifetime. (worship)

We must have eaten dinner together but I don't think we formally met doh!

I was at the far end of the table near JiveTurkeyMoFo and his wife and Brent was beside me.....where were you sitting???

He was sitting between me and MrBedrock, but I failed to rate a mention even after I purchased his dreky X-Men 121. :(

Kryptonite...I saw you at the end of the table but didn't know who you were. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet!

My dear Jim...I didn't mention you because my feelings were so deeply hurt from your multiple snide remarks about my lovely pink cocktail! :cry:

And if that X-Men 121 comes back as a 9.8 I'll expect a commission check! :wishluck:

Kryptonite...I saw you at the end of the table but didn't know who you were. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet!

My dear Jim...I didn't mention you because my feelings were so deeply hurt from your multiple snide remarks about my lovely pink cocktail! :cry:

And if that X-Men 121 comes back as a 9.8 I'll expect a commission check! :wishluck:

It was nice meeting and talking the other day Inhuman! Didnt know you were also a gator fan!

ORANGE

I would lower my expectations if I were you. :whistle:

Hang in there: eventually someone somewhere will break down and show some kind of interest of some sort in speaking with you, Michael :baiting:

I should revise these reasons as it's really just 1 that is the thing. I don't know them and they don't know me. I've got other people I'd rather hang with at the con so I'm pretty unlikely to just strike up a conversation. No different from the fact that I don't chat up most dealers that I don't know.

No problem I will catch you at the next Con I am sure since you are local (thumbs u