• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve McNiven's new sketch policy

13 posts in this topic

I arrived at MegaCon VERRRY early on Friday with the intent to get all my stuff ready for the show and to be 1st at Steve McNivens line for a Fallen Son sketch. The last two years at MegaCon I missed out on his list so I wanted to make sure to get on it this year.

I got to his table at 10am (con opened at 12 for the VIPs and 1 for the public), Steve showed up at 2:30 and stated that he would only sketch on his own sketch paper and only do full colored comissions for $300. I found out that apparently Steve had spilled coffee on a sketch book while sketching on it runing his and 20+ sketches. Due to this he will not take anything due to the risk of him damaging the persons item. I told him that I would not care if anything happened to the book all I care about is the sketch, he still refused.

Due to waiting I decided to purchase a sketch, I didnt want my wait in line to yield nothing.

Steve then was a no show for most of Saturday, word was that he was sick and may not be at the show for the rest of the con. He showed up for a little while on Saturday and I saw him begin my comission.

Sunday he showed up pretty late and I approached him to pick up my comission. He said that due to him not feeling well he could not color the comission, because of that he would knock off $100 from the price.

I told Steve that I had all intentions of giving him $300 and then took out a mock up of my colleciton of Fallen Sons and told him I would give him the $100 for a simple penciled headsketch. He reluctantly agreed and I ran back to the CGC booth to grab a Fallen Son.

He sketched out a Captain America and I thanked him and immediatly took it over to Mark Morales to ink it. Mark said he would get it done and have it ready for me at HeroesCon.

:)

I asked him to have Steve Jumping similar to my favorite scene in Civil War #1 Cap jumping out of the Shield Helicarrier on to a Jet.

Par2ch, I am dying to see the sketch but, it is not showing for some reason, you think you can be a gent and repost it somehow.. :baiting:

I'm glad to hear this story, I was afraid that this new sketch policy was out of no where and that he just wanted to use all his own stuff, but its more than understandable, I mean he wants to cover all his bases incase something happens if he ruins his sketch book he won't care but I'm sure he felt terrible that he ruined someone elses sketchbook that took lord knows how long to get achieved, but its promising to know that he still did one for Dan, I mean sure its probobly isanely rare for it to occur, but its important to have hope and know that theres precedent and that Steve did do a fallen son cover even if he had to grit his teeth.

Its amazing that your getting it inked by Morales im sure its going to be amazing, just like your McLeod/Zeck whihc was spectacular I can;t wait to see what this looks like, heroes con isnt too far away so it won't be too bad, but the anticipation will get to me! Congrats though Dan you always seem to achieve the unlikely AND get some awesome stories out of it.

Your McNiven sketch is awesome! and its a pretty amazing trade off, trading color for #5 on your list very wicked. So if it took you 3 years, I can only imagine that it will take me at least double lol , but like i said before at least I know its possible.

I may get blasted for saying this, although I hope not... but why doesn't Mr. McNiven just not put his coffee on the same table as where he's drawing?

(shrug)

Nice art, though!!! He definitely has a style!

-slym