• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BAD EBAY SELLER ALERT: COMICNOOK

19 posts in this topic

wanted to let everyone know about a poor experience i had with an ebay seller (I haven't had great luck with feebay this month)..

ebay seller name is: comicnook

seller's website: www.thecomicnook.ca

here is the auction i won:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=260353002568

Basically, the Invincible #1 was CLEARLY stated as NM/M condition, he even discusses WHY it is a 9.8 book. I asked him for scans, and he sent me 4 front cover scans, and they checked out.

I paid for the item, and about a week later I received a 9.0/9.2 condition Invincible #1. The back cover had two impact marks, 4 or 5 color breaking spine cracks and a weird, scratchy substance all over it.

I returned the book the next day, and this morning I moved the paypal dispute to a claim. Later this afternoon, i get a message from the seller saying that it was 'shady' that I moved it to a claim after he refunded my money (he apparently refunded my money AFTER i escalated to a claim).

This is the same seller who had a Bone #1 on his website advertised as a 8.5/9.0...I inquired about the scans, and he sent me pics of an 8.0/8.5 book...He later sold it on ebay as a 9.2

This guy sucks...DON'T BUY FROM HIM

Imagine that , a seller on eBay advertising a 9.8 that is really a 9.0. What are the odds.................

I can see where Colin is coming from. This seller most probably knew the back cover was the weak spot. So they send plenty of pictures of the strong shot of the book - the front cover. Different scenario than having a discussion about grading interpretations.

The more I hear (and experience) these situations, I get the feeling these are professional gamblers trying to beat the odds. Any time I have had this experience, it is the typical response of "Oops, my bad. I never took the book out of the bag. How about I credit you X%," X = anywhere from 10% to 50% of the price paid.

Maybe their take on things is there is most probably going to be some credit back on any sale. So, as long as they make a certain percentage over what the book should have sold for, it's a checkmark in the win column.

Crazy, I know. But you wonder sometimes how broken someone's logic must be to do this, and potentially do it repeatedly.

wanted to let everyone know about a poor experience i had with an ebay seller (I haven't had great luck with feebay this month)..

ebay seller name is: comicnook

seller's website: www.thecomicnook.ca

here is the auction i won:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=260353002568

Basically, the Invincible #1 was CLEARLY stated as NM/M condition, he even discusses WHY it is a 9.8 book. I asked him for scans, and he sent me 4 front cover scans, and they checked out.

I paid for the item, and about a week later I received a 9.0/9.2 condition Invincible #1. The back cover had two impact marks, 4 or 5 color breaking spine cracks and a weird, scratchy substance all over it.

I returned the book the next day, and this morning I moved the paypal dispute to a claim. Later this afternoon, i get a message from the seller saying that it was 'shady' that I moved it to a claim after he refunded my money (he apparently refunded my money AFTER i escalated to a claim).

This is the same seller who had a Bone #1 on his website advertised as a 8.5/9.0...I inquired about the scans, and he sent me pics of an 8.0/8.5 book...He later sold it on ebay as a 9.2

This guy sucks...DON'T BUY FROM HIM

IMO, that price is kinda high on that book to pay for it without being graded. Even MH only lists it $150 in NM. In my book, anytime an auction for a NM+ book gets towards the MH prices, it sounds a lot more like speculation than a good buy. Besdies, if it really was 9.8, why would the seller not get it graded? I don't have GPA, but I would think that would be worth the cost to obtain a higher value.

It is amazing that some people will clearly overgrade items just to try to get a sale on E-Bay. E-Bay is the easiest place you can get burned. I just received a "NM/MT" book that has a 1/4 inch cover tear. I'm just waiting to see how this guy responds to what I have to say about his product to determine if he deserves neutral or negative.

Some defects (even tears on the cover) can be tough to see. In this situation, a positive feedback is not out of the question as long as the seller makes it right.

Hearing that a neutral is the best you would give makes me more reluctant to sell raw comics on ebay than I already am.

My feedback would read "comic not as described, seller refunded purchase. Good Communication", but an automatic neutral at best is a little harsh.

Well, Peter Palmer, this situation just shows the opportunity that is given for a seller to make things right. Sure, when I posted this I thought that there would no other feedback possible to give than negative or neutral. However, had the seller gone above and beyond what I had expected (which what should I expect from this seller, he listed an 8.0 or lower as a 9.8), would I really give neutral or worse? Actually, in this situation the seller has surprised me, and though his promises haven't come through yet, he is showing me that I should give him a chance. And I most certainly will, as opposed to smearing him on this board.

I will maintain my previous point though, E-Bay is the easiest place to get burned.

Glad to hear the the seller seems to be making an effort. But I agree, ebay as a marketplace can be a bit rough nowadays.

It is amazing that some people will clearly overgrade items just to try to get a sale on E-Bay. E-Bay is the easiest place you can get burned. I just received a "NM/MT" book that has a 1/4 inch cover tear. I'm just waiting to see how this guy responds to what I have to say about his product to determine if he deserves neutral or negative.

Or, the books are high-grade, but even after you take the time asking please to pack these securely, the seller takes super books and just dumps them in a box. I just received a box of independents the other day, all bagged/boarded, and the guy did exactly as I asked about "packing them securely in a box." But, he then just threw them in a big box, extremely limited packing material, and every corner looks like someone sat on it now from being slammed around in the mail.

See Colin, we all take our turn at the mast with eBay purchases.