• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action 1 5.0 R on ebay looks real

186 posts in this topic

I think that we have beaten this dead horse enough. Don't ya'll (the correct way to spell it. Not y'all)

I just have to jump in and say, you couldn't be more wrong. Y'all is a contraction. It's short for you all. You is abbreviated Y' and then all is added. Thus, y'all. If you can point me to a credible source that says otherwise, I will gladly eat my words. And, of course, that source needs to reside below the Mason-Dixon line. :sumo:

Well, my father was born in Hazzard Ky. and my mother was born in Casey County KY. I was born and raised in Cincinnati. So, not exactly way down there, but we are southern.

I come to my conclusion of ya'll instead of y'all by examining the meaning of the word. It means "you all" (duh). "You" is similar to the slang "ya". In other words, one could say "ya know" meaning "you know". Given that ya means you and "you" is not pronounced "y", I come to the conclusion that the correct way to spell "you all" in the southern slang, would be "ya'll" not "y'all". Because that would be like saying "y all" (why all). Doesn't work for me.

In short. If "y" is not used to represent "you", then it stands to reason that it would be spelled "ya'll". Contrary to what many say. It would be like writing "d'int" instead of didn't".

But, that's just me. I know that dictionaries that have the word in them, spell it y'all, but I disagree. Youse and you-uns got that?

I defer to the dictionary in regards to this word, however I will always spell it ya'll. It works better for me.

Getting me to change my ways is harder than trying to get a hot mule out of a cool barn.

As a matter of fact, if you could have all of the dictionaries changed to reflect my way of thinking. That would make me happier than a kitten following a leaky cow.

I'm from Kentucky. I spell it "y'all."

I am not judging the morality of what happened, as I do not know all of the facts. I also have not read the Ebay rules on ending auctions early, which would be pretty important in determining legality of what was done. However, as a general rule, when an item is offered at auction "without reserve," and the right to by-bid is not reserved in the seller, you canot legally end the auction early and sell to an underbidder. In the absence of some "out" in the auction conditions of sale, the minute a legit bid is made over any reserve, seller is bound 'till the end to the current high bidder. If the high bidder really wanted the book, he could consider suing for specific performance. If the high bidder wasn't legit, probably nothing to worry about (except if Ebay wanted to sue for fees). The fact that little typically comes of thrill bidding, bidding without an intent to buy to mess with sellers, and ending auctions early does not mean that these things do not create contracts that are breached by not going through with the deal.

Well I guess I take your points as you seem to be clued up on it.

I think the biggest prob is probably apathy from people who can't be bothered to do it, an I guess thats very likely most of us in truth.

You is right about the community thing.

Ebay done lost that sense of spirit some years back.

I think once they started advertising on TV, that was it.

The floodgates opened to all the sharks-big time.

Your shtick has already run its course. Why don't you PM me and tell me whose shill you are? You're giving real hillbillies a bad name.

Well I guess I take your points as you seem to be clued up on it.

I think the biggest prob is probably apathy from people who can't be bothered to do it, an I guess thats very likely most of us in truth.

You is right about the community thing.

Ebay done lost that sense of spirit some years back.

I think once they started advertising on TV, that was it.

The floodgates opened to all the sharks-big time.

Your shtick has already run its course. Why don't you PM me and tell me whose shill you are? You're giving real hillbillies a bad name.

Hey Buddy.

Don't take out on me cuz your Mother's also your sister :baiting:

As far as ebay is concerned, I closed my account with them. Told them what they can do with their new policies, especially their " Pay(Scam)Pal" only ccepted policy. If thousands of people started closing their accounts, then maybe ebay would start listening to the many, many , many, complaints.... or maybe not.

As far as ebay is concerned, I closed my account with them. Told them what they can do with their new policies, especially their " Pay(Scam)Pal" only ccepted policy. If thousands of people started closing their accounts, then maybe ebay would start listening to the many, many , many, complaints.... or maybe not.

I understand the problems a seller faces but it is obvious that Ebay has been listening to the complaints of buyers. The large majority of negative feedback left by Ebay sellers was retaliative in nature and Ebay eliminated that problem.