• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What kind of collector are you?

What kind of collector are you?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of collector are you?

115 posts in this topic

I wonder how many high grade collectors set their goals around grades, instead of the books themselves. In other words, do people convince themselves that they're not interested in ASM #1 or FF #1, because they could never hope to afford a 9.0 or 9.4+ copy? hm

I wonder how many high grade collectors set their goals around grades, instead of the books themselves. In other words, do people convince themselves that they're not interested in ASM #1 or FF #1, because they could never hope to afford a 9.0 or 9.4+ copy? hm

As a HG ASM collector I know I can afford most of the run (50-current) in 9.4-9.8, however when its come to an ASM 14 CGC 9.4 then I would not sweat over it in HG.

I would gladly be ok with having an AF 15 or ASM #1 in CGC 3.0 in my collection.

Off course as I get older and make more money I can always upgrade.

As a HG ASM collector I know I can afford most of the run (50-current) in 9.4-9.8, however when its come to an ASM 14 CGC 9.4 then I would not sweat over it in HG.

I would gladly be ok with having an AF 15 or ASM #1 in CGC 3.0 in my collection.

Off course as I get older and make more money I can always upgrade.

So.. You will only buy beaters of books you cant afford in HG ?

How good will your collection of 9.4/9.8 spideys look with such a severe drop off point? That 3.0 will look like dog krap next to the others.

Why not just sell all of your books for a nice copy, and start over ?

Instead of buying 3.0s, you could take all the extra money you spend on premium 9.4-9.8 books, and have everything in VF. And if you're picky with your VFs, you can get a lot of bang for your buck. Also, putting more of your cash in the bigger keys is a better financial move for someone who thinks comics are a commodity, thank god! :baiting:

Just my opinion. (shrug)

I dont fit into any of the above votes. My collection works in specific numbers, and when it comes to MOST issues I dont budge.I would rather wait as long as it takes until I get the copy in the grade I want then to buy something I wouldnt be happy with.

Instead of buying 3.0s, you could take all the extra money you spend on premium 9.4-9.8 books, and have everything in VF. And if you're picky with your VFs, you can get a lot of bang for your buck. Also, putting more of your cash in the bigger keys is a better financial move for someone who thinks comics are a commodity, thank god! :baiting:

Just my opinion. (shrug)

I just said that. :baiting:

What kind of collector are you now Andrew?

Only problem with that scenario is, when the time to sell comes along, you are limiting yourself to how many buyers would be able to afford it.

With 9.4s or better, you will have a much easier time unloading them to a bigger audience.

But again, I am speaking as an accumulator and not a collector :)

Only problem with that scenario is, when the time to sell comes along, you are limiting yourself to how many buyers would be able to afford it.

With 9.4s or better, you will have a much easier time unloading them to a bigger audience.

Very true. But in Johns case his best scenario I would assume may get him a 7.0 AF15. Which sell easily on the Link.

What kind of collector are you now Andrew?

I collect money.

VF Spideys can be sold very easily, and Josh "The Messiah" Nathanson could handle the big keys.

I've just come to the conclusion that the amount of money put into individual books should be proportional to that book's significance. In other words, it makes more sense to me to put the big money into big books, and go lower for the less important stuff. The problem is, most people can't do it because the immediate gratification in "look at my shiny new 9.6" isn't there.

Very true. But in Johns case his best scenario I would assume may get him a 7.0 AF15. Which sell easily on the Link.

His copy, which he posted in 3 different threads recently and is now taken down, was maybe a 1.8? Hard to say from memory.

I buy the nicest copy I can afford of books as I come across them... If I buy less than a VF, I will be looking to upgrade, but if it is a book that I want, and I don''t have one, I will buy a copy in any grade as long as it is decent looking...

That's how I got most of my Uncanny's before #130 or so.

(thumbs u

-slym