• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What kind of collector are you?

What kind of collector are you?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of collector are you?

115 posts in this topic

I smell a new thread to be started soon.

Are you going to start a "I love you matt nelson" thread? :baiting:

And when are you coming back east? That other coast is lame dude.

It's 75% now I am moving back East. :news:

I smell a new thread to be started soon.

Are you going to start a "I love you matt nelson" thread? :baiting:

And when are you coming back east? That other coast is lame dude.

It's 75% now I am moving back East. :news:

Property value just dropped..

Would be cool though if you did. (thumbs u

I would disagree as I am not here to impress anyone.

That wasn't an attempt to impress anyone, Friend-o. I've seen many people post pics of their favorite books here and I thought Green would like to see it. My apologies to anyone who thinks I was showing off...SA collectors only. ;)

Didn't notice this post until now.

You guys are taking my post entirely too literally and personally. It is a very nice book. There's no doubt about that and anyone would be proud to have it in their collection if that is what they like. However, a 7.0 Silver Age key still isn't high grade.

Therefore, leading to my comment, I would rather have several high grade Bronze Avengers non-keys as one mid grade Silver Age key. Nothing more than a matter of personal taste. Brunettes over blonds kind of thing.

I understand this completely. I made no mention on what constitutes HG or doesn't, and personally couldn't give a rat's butt. If you read my initial post, prior to posting the book, I explained that my collecting preference is in the VF area. I stated that I'm an "eye-appeal" collector of SA books and most of my books grade from 7.0 to 9.2, depending on the book, and when opportunity permits, I'll upgrade certain books.

I certainly don't think it necessary to spend the kind of money it would take to own AF15, FF1, Hulk1, ASM1, etc. in 9.2 or 9.4 (that's if I could ever find one).

As you said, it's a matter of personal taste and whatever makes you happy. BTW...I prefer redheads. :)

Like alfred e. neuman? :o

The problem I see with calling a 6.0 action high grade on the basis that there aren't many better, is that you would get ridiculous results if you took that thinking to its limit.

I.e. There is (let's say) ONE copy of new adventure 26 in the world. Its a chewed, stained, wrinkled, coverless mess. Yet by that logic it would be "high grade" since it would be the best one around.

High grade has to start at a specific grade not at a % of the book's population

There is (let's say) ONE copy of new adventure 26 in the world. Its a chewed, stained, wrinkled, coverless mess. Yet by that logic it would be "high grade" since it would be the best one around.

By the same logic, it is also the lowest grade copy around, the rattiest issue you can find.

I would think age would have to be a factor in calling GA books "high grade" for the sheer fact that there weren't really any "collectors" back when what we refer to as Golden Age books were being printed. Kids (like when my mom tells me she had most every issue of Wonder Woman from the 40's) would roll these up and put them in the back-pockets of their pants, trade 'em, read 'em, treat 'em rough. Then the war-drive for paper made these issues even more rare. The fact that one of these GA issues survived is amazing, if it scores a nice 7.0 and is glossy, that's "high grade" for such an old book. I can't see many of the SA books out there in 9.2 right now staying in that shape with another 100 years on them, or even Bronze - the newsprint just won't last, no matter what you do. What moderns will look like, well, time will tell.

GA books deserve a relaxed look when calling them HG. Not much else, though.

-slym

There is (let's say) ONE copy of new adventure 26 in the world. Its a chewed, stained, wrinkled, coverless mess. Yet by that logic it would be "high grade" since it would be the best one around.

By the same logic, it is also the lowest grade copy around, the rattiest issue you can find.

-slym

OK let me change it for you. There is the copy I mentioned earlier and there is another copy (there are only two in the world) that is even worse.

Now is the chewed, stained, wrinkled mess hg?

-slym

I hear you. I agree actually but that's a whole other slippery slope and its not really defensible logically..........

I would think age would have to be a factor in calling GA books "high grade" for the sheer fact that there weren't really any "collectors" back when what we refer to as Golden Age books were being printed. Kids (like when my mom tells me she had most every issue of Wonder Woman from the 40's) would roll these up and put them in the back-pockets of their pants, trade 'em, read 'em, treat 'em rough. Then the war-drive for paper made these issues even more rare. The fact that one of these GA issues survived is amazing, if it scores a nice 7.0 and is glossy, that's "high grade" for such an old book. I can't see many of the SA books out there in 9.2 right now staying in that shape with another 100 years on them, or even Bronze - the newsprint just won't last, no matter what you do. What moderns will look like, well, time will tell.

-slym

I touched on this before. And will rehash.

I collect Detective Comics. The run I am every so slowly building will one day be 50-current (I know, alot of issues). Now when building this run I have to change what grade I am looking for to keep things smooth. I want to have each section, era, whatever to be in a specific range. My 50-100 will be 4.0 to 6.0 (leaning towards the better). My 100-200 will be 3.0 to 4.5, while I am not thrilled about this I want it to be common grades not all over. The difference with the 100-200 run is that many of these issue are scarce, or just not available above a 6.0/7.0. I do not considered a highest graded 6.5 to be HG, I consider it highest graded. If there is no copy better then 8.0 then a HG copy doesnt exist as of yet.

I just dont believe in the HG status being moved due to scarcity, or availability.

-slym

OK let me change it for you. There is the copy I mentioned earlier and there is another copy (there are only two in the world) that is even worse.

Now is the chewed, stained, wrinkled mess hg?

I understood what you were saying - just using your logic against you. The example above is much better.

(thumbs u lol:wink:

-slym

-slym

I hear you. I agree actually but that's a whole other slippery slope and its not really defensible logically..........

Agreed!

lol

-slym

-slym

I touched on this before. And will rehash.

I collect Detective Comics. The run I am every so slowly building will one day be 50-current (I know, alot of issues). Now when building this run I have to change what grade I am looking for to keep things smooth. I want to have each section, era, whatever to be in a specific range. My 50-100 will be 4.0 to 6.0 (leaning towards the better). My 100-200 will be 3.0 to 4.5, while I am not thrilled about this I want it to be common grades not all over. The difference with the 100-200 run is that many of these issue are scarce, or just not available above a 6.0/7.0. I do not considered a highest graded 6.5 to be HG, I consider it highest graded. If there is no copy better then 8.0 then a HG copy doesnt exist as of yet.

I just dont believe in the HG status being moved due to scarcity, or availability.

Maybe we could change the acronym. Then HG would mean "Harder to Get" :baiting:

Seriously, Pat, your way is how I try to do it. My Spidey run from 1 - 20 I don't go after anything over 8.0, (unless it's a key or a deal, like my 14 which is 9.2) then I try to find nice looking 8.0 - 9.0 books with nice PQ.

I'm going to eventually sell the rest of my existing run and only keep 1 - 100, plus all subsequent key issues (121,122,129 etc.). I'm thinking of doing this on all of my Marvel full-runs, so keep your eyes open for some nice deals coming up from 101 up on most titles, of which most are raw. Unless it has to be 9.6 or better... lol Seeya Sunday.

This is a great thread with some great posts. I chose in between collector. I am a completest, but I also enjoy the feeling of holding a 45+ year old book NM (or even VF/NM) condition. CGC slabs are cool too.

Not to lose focus on the topic, there is another factor that plays a major part in my collection; it has nothing to do with current purchasing opportunities but with books in my collection that I will never sell, even if I upgrade. These are comics that I have had for a long time, most (but not all) of them in G or VG condition at best. These are books bought for me by family members when I was a kid.

FF #44 bought in E. St. Louis by my Uncle Walter; he would send me on errand to the corner drugstore to buy him a can of snuff, and he would include an extra 12 cents for a comic. FF #48 bought by my Mom when I was home sick with flu. Comics purchased by my parents, Aunts, Uncles, my big sister and brother. Other than my sister and brother all these wonderful people have passed on, so when I take down a long box to peruse, it’s kind of like looking at an old photo album.

It’s my own personal pedigree of books; it means nothing to anyone else but everything to me. Not based on condition, page quality, scope or monetary value, just sentiment. The best pedigree there is (using Webster’s definition).

I am sure I’m not alone in this aspect of what constitutes my collection.