• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forbidden Planet London

83 posts in this topic

I had to go to London yesterday and had an hour to kill, so thought I'd drop by the old Forbidden Planet. This was an incredible shop back in the early 80's. A cave of wonders where I'd go and marvel at the 2000AD prog 1 hanging on the wall with a jaw dropping £10 price tag.

At some point it moved from Denmark St around the corner to New Oxford Street, where it became a rather less inspiring, mainstream type of shop selling toys and videos, though it still had the back room full of longboxes :cloud9:

This is the first time I've been back in maybe 15 years, and it's moved again to Shaftesbury Avenue. It's even less cave-like than before, with a big high street toy store feel to it. I was used to the Oxford St store so wasn't too upset by this, BUT...

WHERE ARE THE COMICS? :o

I searched both floors. All I found was a wall of new releases and a few 'hot' modern variants stuck behind the counter. NO LONGBOXES!

What a waste of time :mad:

Does anyone know of a real comic shop in London? One with backissues? Maybe next time I'm in town I can find somewhere interesting to go!

Took a few pics on my iPhone so you can see what us Brits have to put up with. Remember this is THE premier comic shop in our capital city.

Ah, now THIS takes me back! Bolland did this piece to advertise FP way back in the old days. I remember seeing the ad hundreds of times and this print transported me back to the 80's for a second there :cloud9:

bolland.jpg

looks just like the Forbidden Planet in NYC!

They're in NYC too? I guess that little shop from Denmark St did pretty good for itself over the years, but at what cost?

Do they have old comics or is it just a comic-themed bookshop/toyshop like the London store?

They're in NYC too? I guess that little shop from Denmark St did pretty good for itself over the years, but at what cost?

Do they have old comics or is it just a comic-themed bookshop/toyshop like the London store?

You could have told me those shots were from the NYC store and I would have believed you.

It's toys, trades and t-shirts.

Even the watchmen front window display that you have pictured is identical to what they have out front right now in NYC.

Try GOSH opposite the British Museum , I was there in November 2008 , had some nice Silver Age DC'S on the wall , plus some backissue boxes in a seperate room .

If only I'd known! That's just around the corner from where I was. I'll check them out next time.

Now that you mention it, I remember the name. Think I went there a couple times many many years ago.

You could have told me those shots were from the NYC store and I would have believed you.

It's toys, trades and t-shirts.

Even the watchmen front window display that you have pictured is identical to what they have out front right now in NYC.

Exactly !

You think all that's bad? You wanna see the FP in Wolverhampton. It's all of that squeezed into a shoebox. I'll try to get some photo's soon, you really won't believe how krap it is.

Let's have a competition - who's got the worst LCS? A FP store somwhere will probably win.

Finding a decent comic shop in the UK is like finding a rich nymphomaniac with a great set of Golden Age books!

You were about 100 yards from a great comic shop with loads of back issues!!

Cant remember the name of it but its onto the big crossroads at Tottenham Court Road - walk past the big fountain and its the 2nd shop on the left downstairs.

Bah! I should do my homework next time!