• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HeroesCon NC...June 19-21....

1,791 posts in this topic

another question, since I have never sold "recent" books...

all the overstock I have from, say 2002-2009 (marvel, dc, etc)...do those sell well at $1?, 6 for $5?, 2 for $1...or what? (I am talking $2.50 to 3.99 cover books)

I also have 4 boxes of $12.99 to $19.99 trades... $5 each (shrug)

I have a box of 3/$10 silver age, a box of $6 or 2/$10 silver age, a box of $10 or 3 for $25 silver age (lots of neal adams batman, BB, etc in there)

I also have a lot of 70's "stuff" (batman, detective, flash, etc)...what do those sell at?

I usually hit up Dave's Comics. He sells his 2002-2009 for $2 a piece or three for $5. He had a brisk business at the local Charlotte show that one Sunday. I picked up several 9.8s for about $1.75 a piece. I am definitely interested in digging through them. (thumbs u

all the overstock I have from, say 2002-2009 (marvel, dc, etc)...do those sell well at $1?, 6 for $5?, 2 for $1...or what? (I am talking $2.50 to 3.99 cover books)

I have a box of 3/$10 silver age, a box of $6 or 2/$10 silver age, a box of $10 or 3 for $25 silver age (lots of neal adams batman, BB, etc in there)

I also have a lot of 70's "stuff" (batman, detective, flash, etc)...what do those sell at?

High grade Timelys usually sell at half book, I can tell you that :thumbsup:

JJ

I usually hit up Dave's Comics. He sells his 2002-2009 for $2 a piece or three for $5. He had a brisk business at the local Charlotte show that one Sunday. I picked up several 9.8s for about $1.75 a piece. I am definitely interested in digging through them. (thumbs u

even better...will start at $2 and go down if nec

even better...will start at $2 and go down if nec

Id say 2 bucks until sunday then lower to a buck to get rid of some of it quicker.

High grade Timelys usually sell at half book, I can tell you that :thumbsup:

JJ

I'l pay half book plus $10 :):devil:

Now we know the rest of the story :baiting:

Dave is actually setting up at both shows that weekend .....Heroes and Philly

Sure he'll have plenty more at our show on July 12th too.

some more added guests from the last few days --

JUNE 5

Matt Herms

Josh Latta

Brad McGinty

Bill Sienkiewicz

JUNE 7

Rebecca Buchman

Kelly Sue DeConnick

Desperado Publishing

Nat Jones

Joe Jusko

Joe Pruett

the reason I like 213 is it is on an unbroken aisle, and closer to the front (and concessions, if that is a consideration)

i see what you meen in the unbroken isle and close to the concessions is OK i guess -- the last several years i`ve gone though it seems that the better stuff is closer to the front and or center of the room , not that there isnt any good material over on that side .. that was my reasoning for #320 -- but like i said both are good spots

Just FYI - here is the events schedule from the website..

THURSDAY 12.00 PM

PRE-REGISTRATION BOOTH OPENS

Attendees who have purchased advance 3-day passes may pick up their wristbands, badges, and other incentive materials at this time. Note that the convention is not open to fans at this time. Location TBA.

GUEST, SMALL PRESS, & EXHIBITOR REGISTRATION OPEN

Invited guests, persons who have purchased space in Artists Alley, and exhibitors may pick up their registration materials, including the badges they will need to get on the convention floor for setup. Location TBA.

GUESTS, SMALL PRESS, & EXHIBITOR SETUP OPEN

The convention floor will be open until 8pm for SETUP ONLY. Only persons with the appropriate badges will be allowed onto the convention floor.

8.00 PM

SETUP CLOSES

All persons must be done with their setup and OUT OF THE HALL by 8.00pm. NO EXCEPTIONS. All night security will be provided, but we strongly suggest that you make sure your booth is secure before you leave for the night.

REGISTRATION CLOSES

Registration for advance ticket holders, guests, exhibitors, etc., will reopen at 7.00am in the morning.

FRIDAY 7.00 AM

SETUP OPENS

Guests, Small Press, & Exhibitors will be allowed onto the floor for setup at this time. Only persons with the appropriate badges will be allowed onto the convention floor, and only once a member of the convention's upper management is on-hand to open the doors, for security purposes. NOTE: All items MUST be out of the aisles before the hall opens to the public at 11.00 am. No exceptions!

10.30 AM

HEROESCON DAY ONE OPENS TO ADVANCE 3-DAY PASS HOLDERS ONLY

Note this is ONLY for those purchasing advance 3-day passes, which will be available until Sunday, June 14. For more information about tickets, see our Tickets page.

11.00 AM

HEROESCON 09 DAY ONE OPENS TO GENERAL PUBLIC

All ticket holders will be allowed onto the floor at this time.

11.30 AM

HERO INITIATIVE SIGNING: Steve Epting

Booth 627/528

Captain America and The Marvels Project artist Steve Epting will be signing at the Hero Initiative booth from 11.30am to 12.30pm. The Hero Initiative is a not-for-profit organization that creates a financial safety net for yesterdays' creators who may need emergency medical aid, financial support for essentials of life, and an avenue back into paying work. Please consider donating to this worthy cause.

12.00 PM

SCAD WORKSHOP: Basic Comic Book Inking

Room 211 | Cost: Free

SCAD-Atlanta Professor Roy Richardson has been a comic book and newspaper strip inker for over 20 years. This is his second year of offering a workshop on inking at the HeroesCon. Having worked on such titles as Iron Man, Captain America, and The Flash, Roy currently inks, letters and colors the Brenda Starr newspaper strip with his wife handling the penciling chores. Roy will discuss the history and aesthetics of this often-misunderstood discipline, as well as analyzing and demonstrating various pen and brush ink techniques. Come get started on the path to “inking like a pro.”

1.00 PM

MARVEL COMICS :: PINT O' C.B. | Room 217BCD

Description to come.

1.30 PM

THE ART OF THE COMIC STRIP | Room 216

Andy Mansell sits down with some of the greats of strip cartooning, including Richard Thompson (Cul De Sac), Jim Scancarelli (Gasonline Alley), Marcus Hamilton (Dennis the Menace), and June Brigman (Brenda Starr). Don't miss this look into one of America's oldest and most unique artforms, the newspaper strip!

HERO INITIATIVE SIGNING: Cully Hamner

Booth 627/528

Detective Comics' "Question" stories and Black Lightning: Year One artist Cully Hamner will be signing at the Hero Initiative booth from 1.30pm to 2.30pm. The Hero Initiative is a not-for-profit organization that creates a financial safety net for yesterdays' creators who may need emergency medical aid, financial support for essentials of life, and an avenue back into paying work. Please consider donating to this worthy cause.

2:00 PM

DC UNIVERSE | Room 213BCD

Join DC's Senior Story Editor Ian Sattler, Editor Brian Cunningham and countless DCU talent for a panel that's not to be missed. With "Blackest Night" looming, what lies ahead for your favorite universe? Find out here!

CHRIS CLAREMONT AND X-MEN FOREVER | Room 217A

It would be hard to think of a name more recognizable in comics circles than Chris Claremont's, especially if you're talking about the X-Men. Chris sits down with Zack Smith to talk about his brand new X-book, X-Men Forever. Don't miss this chance to listen in on what's sure to be an incredible interview!

3.30 PM

JEFF SMITH & ALEC LONGSTRETH: Two-Way Interview | Room 217A

With over 2 million copies of his creation Bone in print, and his new RASL series well underway, Jeff Smith may need no introduction. Alec Longstreth (Phase 7, Basewood), on the other hand, is somewhat less well-known, but is surely on the way to Smith-ian accomplishments. And who better to introduce you to him than Jeff Smith? Don't miss this 2-way interview, which will probably be one of the events of this year's show!

EVERYONE DESERVES A GOLDEN AGE: The Hero Initiative

Room 216

Join Hero Initiative Board of Directors members George Pérez and Brian Pulido as they tell you all about the non-profit organization and its mission. Also: View a special 5-minute video at this panel, featuring testimonials from some of the creators Hero has benefited!

HERO INITIATIVE SIGNING: Chris Moreno

Booth 627/528

Toy Story and Sidekick artist Chris Moreno will be signing at The Hero Initiative booth from 3.30 to 4.30pm. The Hero Initiative is a not-for-profit organization that creates a financial safety net for yesterdays' creators who may need emergency medical aid, financial support for essentials of life, and an avenue back into paying work. Please consider donating to this worthy cause.

HEROESCON QUICKDRAW CONTEST | Room 219A

Our annual Quickdraw contests are not only a great place to pit your artistic skill against others for great prizes, but they could launch your career in comics! Each entry in this free competition gets 2 pieces of paper, 2 pencils, and 20 minutes to create a masterpiece. Entrants will be judged in 3 different age categories (10-under, 11-15, 16-up) by some of the biggest names in comics!

FIRST PRIZE will receive a year's subscription to Sketch Magazine, a comprehensive sample-pack of Blue Line Pro comic book Art Boards, Sketch Cards, Post Cards, etc.; miscellaneous art supplies, and more.

SECOND PRIZE will receive a current issue of Sketch Magazine, a comprehensive sample-pack of Blue Line Pro comic book Art Boards, Sketch Cards, Post Cards, etc.; and miscellaneous art supplies.

HONORABLE MENTION will receive a current issue of Sketch Magazine, and a comprehensive sample-pack of Blue Line Pro comic book Art Boards, Sketch Cards, Post Cards, etc.

4.00 PM

THE NEW POWER GENERATION OF COMICS

Room 217BCD

Join some of the biggest names in comics writing today for a look at the industry, process, and probably a metric ton of quips: Brian Michael Bendis, Ivan Brandon, Ed Brubaker, and Matt Fraction will discuss all this and more. We suggest getting a seat early.

SCAD WORKSHOP: Mini-Comics: The Whole Package

David Allan Duncan, cartoonist and Chair of the Sequential Art Department at SCAD, offers insight, tips and instruction in the creation of one of the most popular stepping stones into the comics industry: mini-comics. David’s workshop focuses on the medium, production and distribution of mini-comics as well as the planning, storytelling, and drawing that goes into their creation. Come join the fun!

5.00 PM

MAKING COMIC BOOK TATTOO

Room 217A

Last year's 500+ page Comic Book Tattoo anthology was a massively successful pairing of today's hottest comics creators and the songs and lyrics of Tori Amos. Join editor Rantz Hoseley, cover artist Jason Levesque, writer Kelly Sue DeConnick and more as they discuss the making of this Eisner-nominated comics anthology!

IN CONVERSATION WITH ROBERT VENDITTI

Room 216

Rob Venditti is the writer of The Surrogates graphic novel, the film adaptation of which will debut this fall starring Bruce Willis and Ving Rhames. Rob will sit down with Newsarama's own Zack Smith for an in-depth discussion about the book, its conception and new sequel, and the process of having a book adapted into a big-screen Hollywood blockbuster!

HERO INITIATIVE SIGNING: George Perez

Booth 627/528

Crisis On Infinite Earths and JLA/Avengers artist George Perez will be signing at the Hero Initiative booth from 5.00 to 6.00pm. The Hero Initiative is a not-for-profit organization that creates a financial safety net for yesterdays' creators who may need emergency medical aid, financial support for essentials of life, and an avenue back into paying work. Please consider donating to this worthy cause.

5.30 PM

HERO INITIATIVE SIGNING: Matt Fraction

Booth 627/528

Uncanny X-Men and Invincible Iron Man writer Matt Fraction will sign at the Hero Initiative booth from 5.30 to 6.30pm. The Hero Initiative is a not-for-profit organization that creates a financial safety net for yesterdays' creators who may need emergency medical aid, financial support for essentials of life, and an avenue back into paying work. Please consider donating to this worthy cause.

7.00 PM

HEROESCON DAY ONE CLOSES TO PUBLIC

At this time all ticket-holders must leave the hall for the evening. Hall will reopen to the public Saturday at 10.00 am.

7.30 PM

HALL A LOCKED DOWN

All persons, including exhibitors, guests, and staff, must be off the hall floor at this time. Please be sure your booth is secured. We cannot be held responsible for your items, although we will provide overnight security for the hall.

SATURDAY 9.00 AM

SETUP OPENS

Guests, Small Press, & Exhibitors will be allowed onto the floor for setup at this time. Only persons with the appropriate badges will be allowed onto the convention floor, and only once a member of the convention's upper management is on-hand to open the doors, for security purposes. NOTE: All items MUST be out of the aisles before the hall opens to the public at 10.00 am. No exceptions!

9.30 AM

Note this is ONLY for those purchasing advance 3-day passes, which will be available until Sunday, June 14. For more information about tickets, see our Tickets page.

10.00 AM

HEROESCON DAY TWO OPENS TO GENERAL PUBLIC

10.30 AM

HERO INITIATIVE SIGNING: Steve Epting

Booth 627/528

Captain America and The Marvels Project artist Steve Epting will be signing at the Hero Initiative booth from 10.30am to 11.30pm. The Hero Initiative is a not-for-profit organization that creates a financial safety net for yesterdays' creators who may need emergency medical aid, financial support for essentials of life, and an avenue back into paying work. Please consider donating to this worthy cause.

11.00 AM

SCAD WORKSHOP: Basic Maquette Making

SCAD Professor John Larison will be offering his workshop on Basic Maquette building for the third year in a row at HeroesCon. A rousing success, John brings his skills as a conceptual artist and sequential artist to the con and helps demystify the process of maquette making. With a step-by-step slide show and demonstration models as well, John will help get you started on building your own models for concept, fine art, toy design or illustration purposes. The materials and tools needed to accomplish all of this will be covered as well during his engaging and fun workshop. The materials and tools needed to accomplish all of this will be covered as well during his engaging and fun workshop.

12.00 PM

THE SILVER AGE OF COMICS | Room 216

Join Alter Ego editor and inker Jim Amash for a walk through the mighty Silver Age of comics with guests Giordano (former DC Editor-In-Chief), Gary Friedrich (creator of Ghost Rider), Roy Thomas (former Marvel Editor-In-Chief), and more! Don't miss this chance to see some of the movers and shakers of the 60's and 70's talking comics!

12.30 pm

MAKING COMICS FOR ALL AGES | Room 217A

Join moderator Andy Mansell as he sits down with Jeff Smith (Bone, Rasl), Roger Langridge (The Muppet Show Comic, Fred the Clown), David Petersen (Mouse Guard), Chris Schweizer (Crogan's Vengeance) and more as they discuss making comics that kids and adults alike can enjoy! Sure to be a can't-miss conversation.

1.00 PM

DC NATION | Room 213BCD

The NATION calls out once more to the DC Faithful! DC's Senior Story Editor Ian Sattler and Editor Brian Cunningham lead a list of A-list talent to talk all things DC. Come one, come all, the DC NATION welcomes you!

2.00 PM

MARVEL: DARK REIGN | Room 217BCD

Description to come.

SCAD WORKSHOP: Character Design

June Brigman, currently a professor at the SCAD-Atlanta campus and co-creator of the ever-popular Power Pack as well as having drawn numerous projects for Marvel and DC over her 20 plus year career, will be offering a workshop on Character Design. With her unique insight and knowledge of the topic, June will help you understand why character design is so important to your project and offer suggestions and tips on approaching this essential backbone of the sequential art and conceptual art industries. Learn from the best and have fun doing it.

Our annual Quickdraw contests are not only a great place to pit your artistic skill against others for great prizes, but they could launch your career in comics! Each entry in this free competition gets 2 pieces of paper, 2 pencils, and 20 minutes to create a masterpiece. Entrants will be judged in 3 different age categories (10-under, 11-15, 16-up) by some of the biggest names in comics!

FIRST PRIZE will receive a year's subscription to Sketch Magazine, a comprehensive sample-pack of Blue Line Pro comic book Art Boards, Sketch Cards, Post Cards, etc.; miscellaneous art supplies, and more.

SECOND PRIZE will receive a current issue of Sketch Magazine, a comprehensive sample-pack of Blue Line Pro comic book Art Boards, Sketch Cards, Post Cards, etc.; and miscellaneous art supplies.

HONORABLE MENTION will receive a current issue of Sketch Magazine, and a comprehensive sample-pack of Blue Line Pro comic book Art Boards, Sketch Cards, Post Cards, etc.

3.00 PM

STEVE DITKO PANEL | Room 213BCD

Description to come.

3.30 PM

Booth 627/528

Crisis On Infinite Earths and JLA/Avengers artist George Perez will be signing at the Hero Initiative booth from 3.30 to 5.00pm. The Hero Initiative is a not-for-profit organization that creates a financial safety net for yesterdays' creators who may need emergency medical aid, financial support for essentials of life, and an avenue back into paying work. Please consider donating to this worthy cause.

4.00 PM

GUY DAVIS INTERVIEW | Room Room 217A

Guy Davis is one of the most influential and prolific artists working in comics today, with a macabre style that's made him famous for his work on BPRD, Sandman Mystery Theatre, and his own The Marquis. Don't miss this sit-down interview conducted by Newsarama's Zack Smith!

NEW MEDIA COMICS | Room 217BCD

Join writer Van Jensen, Andy Runton (Owly), Longbox developer and Comic Book Tattoo editor Rantz Hoseley, and IDW's manager of ePublishing, Jeff Webber, for an eye-opening look into how comics are penetrating new media platforms like the iPhone, Kindle, and more!

6.00 PM

HEROESCON DAY TWO CLOSES TO PUBLIC

At this time all ticket-holders must leave the hall for the evening. Hall will reopen to the public Saturday at 10.00 am.

6.30 PM

HALL A LOCKED DOWN

All persons, including exhibitors, guests, and staff, must be off the hall floor at this time. Please be sure your booth is secured. We cannot be held responsible for your items, although we will provide overnight security for the hall.

8.00 PM

HEROESCON ANNUAL ART AUCTION

Westin Ballroom

The HeroesCon Annual Art Auction is one of the most well-known and enduring traditions on the convention circuit. Fans come from all over the country for the chance to bid pieces of original art not available anywhere else, donated by our guests to help defray the incredible cost of putting on the convention!

And best of all, the Art Auction is a great chance to hobnob with pros in a relaxed, fun environment--it’s just one of the things that have made us so popular with fans and pros alike! Event scheduled to begin close to 8.00--seriously!

The number of donations we get is so immense, this year we’re going to try and pick a representative group of pieces to take to the “live” Art Auction. But if you can’t make it to the Art Auction, you can bid on the other pieces in our new Silent Auction all weekend long! Check at the Info Booth or at the Art Auction stage for more details!

SUNDAY 10.00 AM

SETUP OPENS

Guests, Small Press, & Exhibitors will be allowed onto the floor for setup at this time. Only persons with the appropriate badges will be allowed onto the convention floor, and only once a member of the convention's upper management is on-hand to open the doors, for security purposes. NOTE: All items MUST be out of the aisles before the hall opens to the public at 11.00 am. No exceptions!

10.30 AM

11.00 AM

HEROESCON DAY THREE OPENS TO PUBLIC

Booth 627/528

Crisis On Infinite Earths and JLA/Avengers artist George Perez will be signing at the Hero Initiative booth from 11.00 to 12.00pm. The Hero Initiative is a not-for-profit organization that creates a financial safety net for yesterdays' creators who may need emergency medical aid, financial support for essentials of life, and an avenue back into paying work. Please consider donating to this worthy cause.

12.00 PM

ED BRUBAKER & STEVE EPTING IN CONVERSATION

Room 217A

Newsarama's Zack Smith sits down with the incredibly acclaimed team of Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting (Captain America, The Marvels Project) to discuss their collaborations both together and separate, and maybe some sneak peeks at what's to come from them this summer!

THE LONGBOX UNVEILING | Room 217BCD

For years now, comic fans have been lamenting the lack of a multi-publisher, multi-device solution that would give them (legal) access to the comics they love in digital form. Eisner-nominee Rantz Hoseley has been uttering cryptic missives via Twitter, message boards and various interviews over the last year about the “LongBox Project”, which he’s indicated may just be the solution everyone has been waiting for. Now, comic fans can finally see for themselves, as Rantz unveils the LongBox Digital Comic platform for the first time to the general public at HeroesCon. Rantz will be giving a live demo, discussing the features and launch plans, as well as LongBox, Inc.’s business model and plans for using digital comic sales to help eliminate the divisive issue of “monthly vs. trade” and (more importantly) “Digital vs. print”.

SCAD WORKSHOP: WEBCOMICS

Jeremy Mullins, a professor at the Savannah Campus of SCAD, offers his knowledge and expertise on the topic of Web comics. This medium is still a growth industry and you need to have the right knowledge in order to make it work. Come get the basics of the creation of Web comics and then learn how to market and sell your product for it’s maximum earning potential. Learn about the freedoms afforded by digital delivery, how to start Web publishing, all of the revenue-generating options available to the independent creator, and how to position your property for success.

HERO INITIATIVE SIGNING: Mark Waid

Booth 627/528

BOOM! Studios Editor-In-Chief and Kingdom Come writer Mark Waid will be signing at the Hero Initiative booth from 12.00 to 1.00pm. The Hero Initiative is a not-for-profit organization that creates a financial safety net for yesterdays' creators who may need emergency medical aid, financial support for essentials of life, and an avenue back into paying work. Please consider donating to this worthy cause.

1.30 PM

HISTORICAL COMICS | Room 217A

The Heroes Discussion Group's own Andy Mansell sits down with three of comics most talented voices to discuss dealing with history (both real and imagined) in comics and graphic novels. Featuring Jason Lutes (Berlin), Matt Kindt (Superspy), and Jim Ottaviani (Suspended In Language), this is sure to be a triple-fascinating panel discussion!

Booth 627/528

Crisis On Infinite Earths and JLA/Avengers artist George Perez will be signing at the Hero Initiative booth from 1.30 to 2.30pm. The Hero Initiative is a not-for-profit organization that creates a financial safety net for yesterdays' creators who may need emergency medical aid, financial support for essentials of life, and an avenue back into paying work. Please consider donating to this worthy cause.

2.00 PM

SUNDAY CONVERSATION WITH IAN SATTLER

Room 213BCD

DC's Senior Story Editor Ian Sattler and friends invite you to join in an intimate Sunday afternoon chat to talk about your favorite comic book memories and why we love this medium.

2.30 PM

SCAD WORKSHOP: Superhero Anatomy: How It Works

For the third HeroesCon in a row, Tom Lyle brings his years of expertise as a teacher for SCAD and as a practicing comic book professional to his workshop and offers insight and advice on drawing figures for superhero comics. Dynamics and anatomy will be covered along with his time-tested advice on how to get started. Tom has currently drawn issues 5 and 6 of Vigilante for DC Comics and was an integral part of the teams producing Spider-Man during the now-classic “Clone Saga” in the 1990’s. Tom designed the Scarlet Spider’s costume for that series.

3.00 PM

FRANK CHO AND BRANDON PETERSON IN CONVERSATON

Room 217A

Join Newsarama's Zack Smith as he sits down with two of the biggest artists working in comics today, who also happen to be old friends. Frank Cho (Liberty Meadows, Mighty Avengers) and Brandon Peterson (Ultimate Vision, War of Kings) are not just talented illustrators, but hilarious guys, so this is sure to be a great discussion.

MARVEL: X-MEN | Room 217BCD

Description to come.

6.00 PM

HEROESCON CLOSES TO PUBLIC

At this time all ticket-holders must leave the hall. Thanks for attending HeroesCon 2009; be sure to pick up your advance tickets to our 2010 convention before you leave, which will put you first in line for any incentives or other special offers we feature throughout the year!

LOADING DOCK OPENS

At this time the door to the Loading Dock (located on Stonewall between Brevard and College) will open for persons possessing dock passes. ACCESS TO THE DOCK WILL NOT BE ALLOWED DURING THE DAY! We strongly suggest that you begin queuing for the dock well before this time.

the reason I like 213 is it is on an unbroken aisle, and closer to the front (and concessions, if that is a consideration)

Pick whichever one you like. I always feel like the junky stuff is on the fringes. I didn't like Bob Storms' booth in Detroit because it was on the edge, close to the popcorn vendor and somebody doing foot massages. :P

Pick whichever one you like. I always feel like the junky stuff is on the fringes. I didn't like Bob Storms' booth in Detroit because it was on the edge, close to the popcorn vendor and somebody doing foot massages. :P

that is just it, I like both...just wanting the scales tipped... lol

213.......first aisle back. Near concessions. Only unbroken aisle in the middle of the floor.

(thumbs u

Hire an attractive young lady to stand in front of your booth. That would tip the scales in your favor.

Hire an attractive young lady to stand in front of your booth. That would tip the scales in your favor.

when dale hired king of all rulers and tuppeny at sd, I think it actually backfired on him lol