• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does the lack of MH sales hurt or help the growth of GA prices?

96 posts in this topic

Thanks, Roy. I think we should all just get back to talking about funny books. Clearly, a lot of people both here and in the public at large have very preconceived notions about the finance/investment industry. I really can't believe some of these sweeping generalizations that are being made here. This industry is very large, employs many people (most of whom do not make an outsized salary) and performs many different functions (some of which have added no value or even destroyed value, but most of which are vital economic functions like capital raising). hm

To say that the entire industry adds no value, is all about ripping off the small fry or any of the other numerous accusations leveled against it is really ignorant. (shrug)

So much for not making it personal. F u too

:sorry:

Not sure where it gets personal. I stand by my claim that much of what has been said is "ignorant". I don't see how one can really argue otherwise when painting such broad strokes about a very large industry that employes tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people performing a multitude of different functions.

Thanks, Roy. I think we should all just get back to talking about funny books. Clearly, a lot of people both here and in the public at large have very preconceived notions about the finance/investment industry. I really can't believe some of these sweeping generalizations that are being made here. This industry is very large, employs many people (most of whom do not make an outsized salary) and performs many different functions (some of which have added no value or even destroyed value, but most of which are vital economic functions like capital raising). hm

To say that the entire industry adds no value, is all about ripping off the small fry or any of the other numerous accusations leveled against it is really ignorant. (shrug)

He said ignorant, not immigrant!

:kidaround:

Seriously guys, comics...remember? This was the whole reason I hated hanging in general.

Not sure where it gets personal. I stand by my claim that much of what has been said is "ignorant". I don't see how one can really argue otherwise when painting such broad strokes about a very large industry that employes tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people performing a multitude of different functions.

Gene people will paint any job title with a brush. It's like saying all comic dealers are snake oil salesmen, but there are tons of dealers that are as honest as the day is long and all they do is transfer entertainment...

There is honesty and dishonesty on every front. Let each person stand as an individual and be judged on their own merit.

Let's leave the job bashing out of here gang.

R.

let me just add that I have received quite a few calls of late by earnest strangers trying to cozy up to me and invest with them. I dont think they have a clue what to do beyond raking in the commissions. WOuld it be fair to say that not all in the investment arena are only out for themselves, just the vast majority?

would that be agreeable on all sides?

And I say this is true for ALL professions: car salesmen, mechanics, real estate people etc etc... most are out for themselves first.

You guys need to get off of Gene's back.

I have no problem with stock brokers. It's a living.

And I have no problem with Wal St. It performs a necessary function both by investing in companies and by creating an aftermarket in stocks. Which is why we are spending billions, if not trillions, bailing it out.

I hear ya.I hear all the talk wallstreet sells about people holding on for the long term is the really only safe way to go on wallstreet.

Now let me open up my 401k .

Well I can understand why people are upset if you cant.

My problem is really with the fat cats not the people lower on the wallstreet food chain.The idea of bonus in the face of failure...I dont know about anyone else but I connect bonus with reward,a job well done.congradulations.What is all this about expecting a bonus in the face of your clients losing millions and billions?Only on wallstreet.Jamie Dimon made 16million in salary this year.Now open up your chase IRA. This is wrong.Very wrong.....

I think if you bring up here the one and only post Dave Anderson ever made on these boards[[and it is lengthy] You can garner tibits from it as to why he chooses to be private in regard to his collection.

Does anyone have this link to his post? I can't find it on the search :doh:

Gene people will paint any job title with a brush. It's like saying all comic dealers are snake oil salesmen, but there are tons of dealers that are as honest as the day is long and all they do is transfer entertainment...

There is honesty and dishonesty on every front. Let each person stand as an individual and be judged on their own merit.

Let's leave the job bashing out of here gang.

R.

That's a great analogy (about comic dealers) and you're spot-on, Roy. (thumbs u

I can sympathize with the frustrations expressed here, even if I don't believe a lot of these accusations have merit. It's not like I don't have a stock portfolio and 401(k) of my own. :eek:

Guys, let's just chalk it up to a sign of the times, put our differences aside, and get back to the funny books. :foryou:

To say that the entire industry adds no value, is all about ripping off the small fry or any of the other numerous accusations leveled against it is really ignorant. Most of the Street doesn't even deal with the small guy, for one thing. And there is a large part of the business that doesn't even deal with the buying and selling of securities. :doh:

I hear ya.I hear all the talk wallstreet sells about people holding on for the long term is the really only safe way to go on wallstreet.

Now let me open up my 401k .

Well I can understand why people are upset if you cant.

My problem is really with the fat cats not the people lower on the wallstreet food chain.The idea of bonus in the face of failure...I dont know about anyone else but I connect bonus with reward,a job well done.congradulations.What is all this about expecting a bonus in the face of your clients losing millions and billions?Only on wallstreet.Jamie Dimon made 16million in salary this year.Now open up your chase IRA. This is wrong.Very wrong.....

You did say 1 thing I agree with..Back to comics..Enough said

I think if you bring up here the one and only post Dave Anderson ever made on these boards[[and it is lengthy] You can garner tibits from it as to why he chooses to be private in regard to his collection.

Nevermind, I found it. Personable fella isn't he? :insane:

Especially when he (allegedly) faked Mile High books and then sold them.

:cool:

I can sympathize with the frustrations expressed here, even if I don't believe a lot of these accusations have merit.

The financial services sector has lost a lot of prestige during this decade. It started with the IPO price fixing scandal that led to the In Re Initial Public Offering Litigation against most all of the major investment banks over 310 IPOs. This case resulted in settlement payments by the investment banks over a billion dollars.

Then we had WorldCom and Enron, two multibillion dollar cases involving wrongdoing by, again, most of the major investment banks, top accounting firms, and, of course, corrupt management. Those cases resulted in billions of dollars in settlements, and put a top accounting firm out of business.

Those cases were followed by the mutual fund market timing cases over fund manager misconduct and the stock options backdating scandal concerning public company management corruption which reached even into the board rooms of companies like Apple.

Following those we got the subprime mortgage scandal which has taken down a number of regional banks and lenders, including former heavy weights like Countrywide, IndyMac and New Century Financial.

And most recently, we've seen a handful of investment advisors turn out to be running billion dollar Ponzi schemes: Madoff, Stanford, etc.

So for a broad swathe of investors, the past decade has been one example after another of bank, accounting firm, company management, and investment advisor fraud. Thus, it should be no surprise to anyone that Wall St. and Corporate America have lost a lot of prestige. This decade of corruption was undoubtably also a big factor in the damage to the GOP brand.

Can you cut and paste it into this thread?

let me just add that I have received quite a few calls of late by earnest strangers trying to cozy up to me and invest with them. I dont think they have a clue what to do beyond raking in the commissions. WOuld it be fair to say that not all in the investment arena are only out for themselves, just the vast majority?

would that be agreeable on all sides?

And I say this is true for ALL professions: car salesmen, mechanics, real estate people etc etc... most are out for themselves first.

true

Well, it was pretty clear whose comments you were referring to. And I'll stand by what I said - at its root the industry is fed by IRAs. The little guy.

At far as painting in broad strokes, I was conceptualizing here not talking about specific examples. I don't know how you can talk about macro functions in anything but general terms :/

Watch the movie boileroom...

Kind of a random thought here, and I've been up all night so pardon me if it's not well organized, but:

In baseball cards, the top graded T206 Honus Wagner card became famous (infamous?) when Gretzky/McNall bought it for $451K. That price was mind-blowing at the time and was all over the news. Although it stagnated for a while (Gretzky sold it for $500K 4 years later), it later became a legitimate "investible" and has sold several more times, most recently for $2.8M.

I have to think that (a) a name like Gretzky getting involved gave some legitimacy to this card as an investment to outsiders, and (b) this truly being the creme de la creme of baseball cards makes it especially appealing (if you're going to invest in something, make it the best, right?). Thus, the repeated sale of the premier item in the market has brought attention/notoriety to the field, as well as more investors. Over the same time, however, the remainder of the baseball card market has tanked, largely attributed to the commoditization of cards (at least that's my understanding of things, if I'm wrong, correct me).

This makes me wonder about the effect that Dave Anderson has had on the comic market by holding onto the Church Action 1, and making it essentially an unknown.

If that particular book were available, I have to think that it would catch the eye of a lot of investors with stupid money. Certainly more than the 6.0 is/will/would. If that book were available, we might see a series of sales like the Gretzky card. While that might bring more attention to the market, it might also cause a huge spike that wouldn't be realistically sustainable for the rest of GA, causing things to tank.

As such, is it realistic to speculate that the unavailability of this book is keeping the growth of GA at a more reasonable pace?

Sports cards:

2004 Upper Deck Lebron James/Michael Jordan card sold for $150,100. It is the only 1 of its kind.

kobelebron2_il.jpg

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick: 5 out of 5 on the puke-o-meter.

1996 Tiger Woods Sports Illustrated for Kids Gem Mint sold for $125,000.

woods_150.jpg

:sick::sick::sick::sick: 4 out of 5 on the puke-o-meter.

wow that upper deck card is a joke. the woods card I have less of a problem with. overpriced but at least its not a manufactured collectible like the first one

I concur, hence only 4 buckets O puke for that one.

A number of years ago when the whole frankencards thing started, I went to a card shop, bought a $7 pack of cards, got one decent one and sold it on ebay for $200 the same week. The whole time I actually felt sorry for the guy who bought it. Of course to each his own. But I still threw up a bit over it. Of course that's probably b/c I was jumping up and down in jubilation over the sale of that POS card. :grin:

the best part about limited numbered cards, ebay sellers selling a card numbered 5 of 25 as "one of a kind". "It's the only #5 in existence!" :insane: