• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Christmas cover

37 posts in this topic

I have to admit that I am a sucker for Carl Barks. Wonderful story, too.

donald_duck_367.jpg

First time I read that story I went and donated a whole bunch of toys to St Vincent De Pauls. Only Barks could invoke that amount of emotion (those faces on the children in shacktown..... sorry.gif).

ecfanman, mushroom:

Christmas in Shacktown is one of my favorite Christmas stories of all time. I remember reading it as a kid back in Denmark and being very puzzled about the poor people (probably one of the first times I was exposed to that subject). I believe the cover is the only Barks cover from a longer story to have survived.

shiver:

Thanks - I like to see what other people collect and am glad you've enjoyed my own scans. Here's another Christmas classic (posted this last year but it's still one of my favorites):

http://www.hhkkpp.com/mmv33.jpg'>mmv33_s.jpg

hkp and ecfanman: Those are some great duck covers.!! I'm partial to Barks myself, and Christmas for Shacktown is truly one of the classics.

'Shroom, I echo your sentiments: Barks could put more emotion into a "funny animal" character's face than anyone, and the kids in Shacktown are Exhibit A in this regard. hkp, when you say that you believe the cover of that ish is the only one from a longer Barks story to have survived, I assume you're referring to the original art..? Who owns it?

I just read another Barks xmas classic (there are many) that I don't think was ever reprinted elsewhere... it's in Dell Giant (Christmas Parade) #9, and involves Unca Scrooge hiring Donald and the boys to oversee the shipping of a 100-foot Christmas tree from Canada to Duckburg. The Beagle Boys are hired by Ollie Eiderduck to thwart Scrooge's plan, but thankfully everything works out for the best. The Beagle Boys are arrested by a Mountie for moose-knapping, and Donald and the boys help Scrooge keep his promise to the people of Duckburg, which in turn means Ollie Eiderduck has to eat one of Scrooge's spats. Good stuff, and one of the few stories where Scrooge willingly blows some cash.