• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are you above paying guide prices?

16 posts in this topic

I just got a list of comics with prices and grades from a seller (not here) and they are completely out of whack. I started looking up the prices using ComicsPriceGuide.com and am wondering where this seller got their list of prices. While I don't have a pricing book, I do have a couple of pages photocopied of series I am currently collecting. Even using the Overstreet guide, their prices are strange.

But the whole thing got me to realize that on lower grade books, CPG and Overstreet really do differ. I understand that these two have different pricing methodologies but I find Overstreet very high on some of these lower grade books. Since most of my collection is becoming lower grade junk as my money is getting less and less, I pose the question: Do you pay guide prices for issues (aside from key, current hot issues, and rare issues)? If you pay guide prices, is there up to a certain grade level that you are willing to purchase at guide and looking to pay less then guide for lesser grades?

I pay whatever I believe to be a FAIR price. Sometimes that's over guide many times it's under. I'm not a bottom feeder few grade but I am a bargain shopper.

(thumbs u

I am a bargain shopper too and I try to keep my collection around Fine or better but if I do see some really cheap books I want to read at lesser grades, I would not pass them up.

I would not normally even look at a pricing guide for the comics I am currently reading at VG or less because I already know that I what I would pay for it. So I guess I am curious how some else views this as well. For reader copies, would you pay guide for it or do you already have a set price in mind?

Since I've been collecting for about 37 years, I do occasionally pay over guide or whatever for books that finish my collection. There are lots of books that are extremely hard to find in HG that are not recognized as such in the guides.

But generally speaking, I pay quite a bit less most of the time.

If your are patient you will eventually get the book you want at the price you want.

Yes - if you are immortal.

This totally depends on what the books are. There are some books that are underpriced at 5X Guide and some that are overpriced at half Guide (shrug)

Agreed it depends on the book, hence my blanket statement "general book" :baiting:

I am not talking about anything really difficult to find or rare. I am currently collecting DC BA issues right now and for the most part they are pretty commonplace and not too expensive.

If your are patient you will eventually get the book you want at the price you want.

That is definitely true as I have collected many out of print DC trades that normally go for 3x cover price but will only pay cover price. Patience does pay off most of the time.

I just got a list of comics with prices and grades from a seller (not here) and they are completely out of whack.

He probably used to work for Mile High Comics and it just hasn't gotten out of his system yet. :/

I just got a list of comics with prices and grades from a seller (not here) and they are completely out of whack.

He probably used to work for Mile High Comics and it just hasn't gotten out of his system yet. :/

For fun I looked up a book on ebay and thought perhaps they took prices from mycomicbookshop since the had a book marked VF for the same price. Here's an example - Superman Family 178 fair - 11.00 yet they have a couple of other issues around the same price at G and VG that are around 3-4 dollars (still too high for the grade IMO).

I questioned how the prices and grades were arrived at so I see if I get a reply back. Man I must have too much time on my hands for this stuff.

This totally depends on what the books are. There are some books that are underpriced at 5X Guide and some that are overpriced at half Guide (shrug)

Agreed it depends on the book, hence my blanket statement "general book" :baiting:

But, there's no such thing as a "general book..." It's like asking how much is a good deal on a car. You have to have some frame of reference.

I am not talking about anything really difficult to find or rare. I am currently collecting DC BA issues right now and for the most part they are pretty commonplace and not too expensive.

For BA DC, I would think you could get just about anything in less than HG for less than Guide.

My rules are:

Buy for less than what it's marked.

Don't pay more than you are willing.

And by all means, if you can get a slab for cheaper than the same book "raw," DO IT!!!

-slym (doesn't pay what "guides" suggest)