• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wow, an original Frazetta oil painting on ebay

91 posts in this topic

:o :o :o

Torpedo Comics. I know some folks that have bought from him, and his grading is supposed to be extremely strict. Never heard a complaint.

That painting is so gorgeous, it should be in a gallery on display.

I think if there is ever a fantasy artist whose paintings go for $10 million+ at Sotheby's auctions, it's gonna be Frazetta

It's not that crazy really.

People are paying $10 million+ for the best Warhol paintings now and they are not even that old.

Fantastic to see the original of one of my favorite wrap around Frazetta covers! (worship)

864097-Monsterscene%232Spread.jpg

I wonder if Danny Dupcak owns a copy of that issue. It's a tribute to him! :insane:

Frazetta is the man, but this is illustration.

BTW a "GOOD", early, vintage Warhol painting = 18 million +

I mean, an epic Normal Rockwell painting ( again illustration ) doesn't really sell for 300K( for the most part), why should some fantasy / academic Frazetta painting sell for more than 10-20K?

I wish them all the best though.

BTW the re-creation painting looks better than the illustration that was used for publication?

That gold frame has got to go, though.

;)

I think if there is ever a fantasy artist whose paintings go for $10 million+ at Sotheby's auctions, it's gonna be Frazetta

People are paying $10 million+ for the best Warhol paintings now and they are not even that old.

Warhol was way over-rated and continues to be, generally by pretentious elitists. Frazetta has a unique talent and is able to capture something special in most examples of his work. This is a great one - I remember seeing this for sale about a year ago, if I remember correctly. If I had the dough, I would have been all over it.

Warhol was way over-rated and continues to be, generally by pretentious elitists. Frazetta has a unique talent and is able to capture something special in most examples of his work. This is a great one - I remember seeing this for sale about a year ago, if I remember correctly. If I had the dough, I would have been all over it.

Come on, Fine art versus illustration.

Warhol VS. Frazetta, apples and oranges here.

Brainless ideas, and a dime a dozen techincal skills. who are you trying to fool ?

I bet there are 100,000's of artists who can reproduce Frazetta's paintings, myself being one of them. As for most comic artists ideas/vision, not much there either.

Although for this genera, Frazetta deserves a premium, and is one of the greats......for a comic book artist.

I'll give you this much, some illustration/ comic art is under valued and deserves to climb, especially historic pieces.

The truth of it is, what Warhol did still has repercussions on the art world. The very fact that this Frazetta piece is being viewed as "fine" art may owe a debt to Warhol. No matter how much you care about comics, you can not compare fine art & Illustration. Yes, he is the top of the game in Illustration, but even the tops in Illustration just tickles the belly of fine art.

BTW - A frazetta black & white has cracked $100k, so the prediction of $20-$30k is way off.

Come on, Fine art versus illustration.

Warhol VS. Frazetta, apples and oranges here.

I've seen so called "fine art" pieces sell for $1 million that I wouldn't give you $5 for

Actually, I would give you the $5, but it would be for the frame

Frazetta transcends illustration to become fine art... his use of colours, dynamics, and spatial reference is singular, and he stands with the finest of the "great" artists, regardless of original intent, distribution or use of his art. my 2c (and no, you couldn't do a painting as well as Frazetta, FatComicsMafia... many have tried, aped and imitated Frank, but none have captured all of the elements and made a scene of the fantastic come to life like Frazetta can.)

and, Matthew, I disagree... the tops in illustration, of whom Frazetta is certainly one, DO indeed crawl into the belly of fine art and stir things up.

Without getting into a long discussion about that again like the green lantern thread, that is completely your right. What you are up against though is hundreds of thousands of people across the world who have never heard of frazetta, think the cover to a 1960's monster fanzne is trash & appreciate what you define as "fine" art to the point of spending what you find obscene amounts of money to own. Right or wrong.

Frazetta transcends illustration to become fine art... his use of colours, dynamics, and spatial reference is singular, and he stands with the finest of the "great" artists, regardless of original intent, distribution or use of his art. my 2c (and no, you couldn't do a painting as well as Frazetta, FatComicsMafia... many have tried, aped and imitated Frank, but none have captured all of the elements and made a scene of the fantastic come to life like Frazetta can.)

and, Matthew, I disagree... the tops in illustration, of whom Frazetta is certainly one, DO indeed crawl into the belly of fine art and stir things up.

you have to understand how much I respect Frazetta's technique, I really do. His economy of paint, and his ability to render with utmost economy is breath taking. BUT, even in illustration, what do you think has wider appeal? A Frazetta Barbarian piece, or a Maxfield Parrish cottage in the snow, with his eye popping color & technique? His subject matter limits him GREATLY in the grand scope of things.

you have to understand how much I respect Frazetta's technique, I really do. His economy of paint, and his ability to render with utmost economy is breath taking. BUT, even in illustration, what do you think has wider appeal? A Frazetta Barbarian piece, or a Maxfield Parrish cottage in the snow, with his eye popping color & technique? His subject matter limits him GREATLY in the grand scope of things.

It is truely a shame that this is true. :sorry:

Cimm, I believe he said he could "reproduce" a Frazetta painting. As in copy it. Not nearly the challenge of creating a new one as good as Frazetta.

The line between "fine" art and illustration gets very blurry when you get to the top of the illustration pantheon. Toulouse Lautrec comes to mind instantly. But a big reason that Frazetta wouldn't be very well accepted in the fine art world is the subject matter. You don't get many Rembrandts or Titians with ape men carrying off barbarian girls, and a couple dinosaurs in the background. ;)

Frazetta is so very far from being as talented as the great fine artists, it needn't even be said. But who cares? As has been stated earlier, it's apples & oranges. I've loved Frazetta since I was in Jr. High School, and all the Art History classes or trips to Italy I've taken since haven't reduced that love one little bit. Also, if the job is to create an awesome cover for a comic or horror/fantasy magazine, I'll take Frazetta over Titian any day.

And that frame does have to go, asap.

Frazetta is so very far from being as talented as the great fine artists, it needn't even be said.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Subject matter aside, the skills are there.

Frazetta is so very far from being as talented as the great fine artists, it needn't even be said.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Subject matter aside, the skills are there.

how about the intent?

The skills are not in question. I could hire someone like like Frezetta to paint my idea?