• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wow, an original Frazetta oil painting on ebay

91 posts in this topic

I hear what you're saying but I don't buy into the idea that fine art needs to say something. Because if it does then nothing done before about 1900 is art at all.

Yeah I realize that the "art establishment" might think so but that's how you end up with all the lightbox installations, vivisected animals and other trash that passes for art

Frazetta is so very far from being as talented as the great fine artists, it needn't even be said.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Subject matter aside, the skills are there.

how about the intent?

The skills are not in question. I could hire someone like like Frezetta to paint my idea?

Well if you are hiring for intent, you could hire him to paint the Sistine Chapel for what it's worth IMHO.

I hear what you're saying but I don't buy into the idea that fine art needs to say something. Because if it does then nothing done before about 1900 is art at all.

Yeah I realize that the "art establishment" might think so but that's how you end up with all the lightbox installations, vivisected animals and other trash that passes for art

I hear ya, I mean everything CAN be "conceptual art" if one paints just about anything.

But really for every genera, the first to paint perspective, one of the first to use pigment to express ( rembrant), feel, etc etc etc, marks with pigment , Van Gogh, Monnet, Cezanne ,color...etc etc etc

all in all there is good art and bad art, there is also illustration . :)

PS for me Warhol just solidifies Duchamp ( who is my hero).

This is the divide that has alienated Fine art since post modernism reared it's inevitable head. There was certainly intent before 1900, but think of what there was before 1900. For me, an 1840 Still life has as much relevance to its contemporary audience as a 1960's Campbell soup can painting by Warhol, or a 2003 Painting by Mark Ryden. We are the product of what rears us, and that is very different now then it was in 1850.

When I was in high school, I took an art class. The teacher challenged us to recreate a famous art piece. A lot of people went for Warhol, Picasso, etc. I whipped out my Molly Hatchet album and went to town.

My art teacher hated, I say HATED it, but still submitted it to some silly art contest state-wide. I came in second place. When people started bidding, it sold for $700...my mom talked to the highest bidder and bought it back for $800. It's still enshrined in my parents' home.

What irritates me most is that to meet the requirements of the contest, I had to use acrylic paints, when oils would have been so much better.

*sigh*

When I was in high school, I took an art class. The teacher challenged us to recreate a famous art piece. A lot of people went for Warhol, Picasso, etc. I whipped out my Molly Hatchet album and went to town.

My art teacher hated, I say HATED it, but still submitted it to some silly art contest state-wide. I came in second place. When people started bidding, it sold for $700...my mom talked to the highest bidder and bought it back for $800. It's still enshrined in my parents' home.

What irritates me most is that to meet the requirements of the contest, I had to use acrylic paints, when oils would have been so much better.

*sigh*

Now you MUST post a pic! :sumo:

I hear ya, I mean everything CAN be "conceptual art" if one paints just about anything.

But really for every genera, the first to paint perspective, one of the first to use pigment to express ( rembrant), feel, etc etc etc, marks with pigment , Van Gogh, Monnet, Cezanne ,color...etc etc etc

all in all there is good art and bad art, there is also illustration . :)

PS for me Warhol just solidifies Duchamp ( who is my hero).

I can't help but smile every time I look at the Mona Lisa with a mustache piece

I had a Stipple portrait of Alice Cooper entered into teen arts in 1989 and won my region lol

I won a rememberance day poetry contest in school by remixing/adding to Black Sabbath lyrics lol (smell the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning etc) :insane:

Don't forget that Warhol had quite a career in illustration an advertising before shifting over to 'pop art' and other things. The comparison with Frazetta is not so far out of the question. Who knows, they may have very well crossed paths at some point in the late 40's or in the 50's, as Frank did advertising work as well during that time period.

For me, the thing that Warhol really stands out for is blurring the lines of what is art and what is advertsing/illustration. Yes, he had some groundbreaking ideas in color and printmaking and he really made some people look at things differently with his art/ideas (which is fantastic).

Is Frank's subject matter a narrow spectrum? Yes. But that shouldn't discount him as a talent. You can't look down your nose at Frazetta as 'an illustrator.' He's every inch the artist of Warhol or Rembrandt or Van Gogh or Monet. He just happened to be in this genre instead of mass-producing prints of Marilyn Monroe or painting wealthy families or chairs or flower gardens. Put Frazetta in any time period with the so-called masters and give him the same 'artistic' parameters that they had & I think he would be considered every inch the master they were.

:whistle: I was deathly scared an adult was going to figure it out while it was being read out to the entire school lol My friends (who knew about it) thought it was hilarious that they were listening to spoken sabbath though ;)

I had a Stipple portrait of Alice Cooper entered into teen arts in 1989 and won my region lol

I won a rememberance day poetry contest in school by remixing/adding to Black Sabbath lyrics lol (smell the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning etc) :insane:

Your managing partner wants you back in the office to complete a few more T1s.

Don't forget that Warhol had quite a career in illustration an advertising before shifting over to 'pop art' and other things. The comparison with Frazetta is not so far out of the question. Who knows, they may have very well crossed paths at some point in the late 40's or in the 50's, as Frank did advertising work as well during that time period.

For me, the thing that Warhol really stands out for is blurring the lines of what is art and what is advertsing/illustration. Yes, he had some groundbreaking ideas in color and printmaking and he really made some people look at things differently with his art/ideas (which is fantastic).

Is Frank's subject matter a narrow spectrum? Yes. But that shouldn't discount him as a talent. You can't look down your nose at Frazetta as 'an illustrator.' He's every inch the artist of Warhol or Rembrandt or Van Gogh or Monet. He just happened to be in this genre instead of mass-producing prints of Marilyn Monroe or painting wealthy families or chairs or flower gardens. Put Frazetta in any time period with the so-called masters and give him the same 'artistic' parameters that they had & I think he would be considered every inch the master they were.

what chaps my hide about illustrators being looked down on is that lots of low level fine art says absolutely nothing about the human condition either. Your average low end fine art gallery has lots of pictures that are just pictures.

he can kizz my arse! the 7 days/wk every-waking-hour bit of the season doesn't start for a couple weeks yet ;)

he can kizz my arse! the 7 days/wk every-waking-hour bit of the season doesn't start for a couple weeks yet ;)

Show up at the krappy convention next Sunday and I'll buy you lunch.