• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen takes in $55.7 million

93 posts in this topic

it's official, watchmen is a flop:

miller kicks moore's arse!

Pimpy, I think you forgot the ;)

The adaptation of Alan Moore's graphic novel takes in an estimated $55.7 million, making it the biggest-opening film this year.

By David Pierson

9:45 AM PDT, March 8, 2009

Superhero blockbuster "Watchmen" dominated the weekend box office by grossing an estimated $55.7 million, scoring the biggest opening of any film this year.

The much-anticipated adaptation of Alan Moore's graphic novel of the same name cements the draw of director Zack Snyder, who also directed the hit "300."

Although there was some industry expectation that it would do so, "Watchmen" fell short of matching the $70.9 million that "300" took in during its opening weekend in March 2007.

Disappointing - maybe, but give it time.

A flop, no. But it really comes down to the quality of the movie for me. I wasn't anticipating Watchmen II. I like the movie, but as people have pointed out repeatedly, Dark Knight's box office take doesn't necessarily mean it was the best comic movie ever. (TMNT would have to be in the running if we went by that, also)

A flop, could be like this masterpiece last year:

2000+ screens, total take $500,000

delgo_teaser.jpg

Punisher WZ with less than $10 mil worldwide cost $35 mil.

Watchmen won't come close to the "flop" movies.

Well i know its gonna get more of my money, taking the gf to see it thursday. :)

$55.70002 million?

I agree that with the dropoff from Friday, it doesn't look good. What might help however is that it seems to have a lot of people who love it - as opposed to the Hulk movie that seemed to be disliked by nearly everyone. Perhaps it could have some legs and pull in modest money for a while longer than some similar comic movies.

With the trend the past couple years, getting it's money back at this point would be fortunate.

Not a flop... but not a success. When you open on that number of screens, with the marketing push the movie had, it's an average opening.

It will definitely make its money back.... international BO take and DVD/BR sales will see to that.

I think the R rating will hold it down some....we'll see what happens over the long haul

It is very intense...obviously. Saw some younger kids in the theatre with their parents, but not sure I'd let a pre-12 year old go see it

Liked Rorshach....... great performance

It is very intense...obviously. Saw some younger kids in the theatre with their parents, but not sure I'd let a pre-12 year old go see it

wasn't there like a sex scene on the owl ship?!? :o

Keep in mind, that this week is Spring Break for a lot of colleges across the country. I know at least 10 of my buddies that are waiting til the upcoming week to watch it. Also, there will be the people that spend the extra $$ for Imax

wasn't there like a sex scene on the owl ship?!? :o

Yep :devil:

Yes and it was with Night Owl and the Comedian! embarrassed.gif

Keep in mind, that this week is Spring Break for a lot of colleges across the country. I know at least 10 of my buddies that are waiting til the upcoming week to watch it. Also, there will be the people that spend the extra $$ for Imax

I don't know...this movie may have shot it's wad the first day...

Today's matinee I attended was only a quarter full and they evidently canceled a duel showing scheduled to run at the same time...

Jim

Just got back...I thought it rocked! Very well done adaptation!

Just finished re-reading graphic novel today and I thought they were about as faitful as you can be. The change in the ending really did not make a difference to me.

I loved it. IMAX in Manhattan was filled to capacity basically, and it was the 10AM showing. I think folks are being too harsh. This is a very good movie that sticks pretty close to the -script (about 80% at least), and there are no major plot flaws. It's entertaining, and actually I thought the acting was better than I expected, and pretty damn good at times (especially Rorschach!).

I think the movie will stay in theater longer from some good word of mouth. I agree the R rating hurts it for the general audience, and it is a very long movie. Those two factors make it less likely that people will see it in the theater, but will probably wait for the DVD.

Expect when all is said and done, the Watchmen totals (theater, DVD, extras) will be a pretty big number!

Sheesh, I would LOVE to flop like that.

Trust me, movie investors do NOT invest hundreds of millions into a funny book flick with the intention of "making a little profit".

Unless Watchmen business picks up, it will be a flop from an investment point of view.

Trust me, movie investors do NOT invest hundreds of millions into a funny book flick with the intention of "making a little profit".

Unless Watchmen business picks up, it will be a flop from an investment point of view.

Not to mention, they spent $50 Mil in advertising before the movie was released...

Jim

superman returns, both FF's, both hulk's- it's happened before and will happen again. that's the nature of the movie biz.

Not so fast. There's international revenue to come, and DVD revenue.

Not so fast. There's international revenue to come, and DVD revenue.

And the cable rights, and subsequent distribution rights, and licensing, etc etc etc.

C

I have not seen the movie yet, but I had a friend ask me about it today. He told me some friends of his went to see it (non comic people, but mid 30s couple) and they told him it was terrible.

We have friends here that walked out on Lord of the Rings too - said it was terrible, all violence and what not. :lol:

(I haven't seen Watchmen yet, so don't have an opinion...,)