• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen takes in $55.7 million

93 posts in this topic

it's official, watchmen is a flop:

miller kicks moore's arse!

Can't be a surprise to anyone, can it? 3-hours long. Not for the casual fan-type story. Certainly NOT for kids. Opening in the midst of the greatest economic downturn in 70 years. The only surprise was that it actually broked the $50 mil mark.

Can't be a surprise to anyone, can it? 3-hours long. Not for the casual fan-type story. Certainly NOT for kids. Opening in the midst of the greatest economic downturn in 70 years. The only surprise was that it actually broked the $50 mil mark.

The movie business is one of the only businesses that has been escaping the downturn. "Certainly not for kids" a much bigger factor.

The movie business is one of the only businesses that has been escaping the downturn. "Certainly not for kids" a much bigger factor.

If the movie is as good as most people say it is, it may have a second surge. There are a lot of films that do this. This might be one of them.

I can't wait to see it.

Rated R is definitely a factor.

It will probably make back what it cost to make it domestically, and international box office, DVDs, digital downloads, toy and book sales will collectively make it far from a flop.

Sheesh, I would LOVE to flop like that.

Well i know its gonna get more of my money, taking the gf to see it thursday. :)

$55.70002 million?

I agree that with the dropoff from Friday, it doesn't look good. What might help however is that it seems to have a lot of people who love it - as opposed to the Hulk movie that seemed to be disliked by nearly everyone. Perhaps it could have some legs and pull in modest money for a while longer than some similar comic movies.

With the trend the past couple years, getting it's money back at this point would be fortunate.

the movie made $25 mil after friday and now the take is $55.7mil for the weekend? word of mouth spread quickly. :gossip:

No, everyone that was messing their pants to see it Thursday night and Friday, did. Word of mouth doesn't affect movies their opening weekend, especially when some major critics laud the movie.

This doesn't have the mainstream attraction that something like "300" or "Matrix" would.

:gossip: This opening weekend, if it doesn't get adjusted (which tends to happen when Sunday numbers are estimated at noon on Sunday) is the 4th best opening weekend EVER for a non-sequel "R" Rated film . :o

If it scrapes up another $1 million and change, when the final totals are confirmed tomorrow, it's in the top 3, ALL-TIME, "R" rated box office opening weekends for non-sequels (I.E. Watchmen had no carry over audience built in from prior films).

Throw in all films, sequels and non, and it will be either #5 or #6 all time. (thumbs u

Some flop. :whistle:

C

flop? not even remotely. mildly disappointing BO- yes.

Really not dissapointing if you ask me. I don't think the expectations were correct for what this is.

What does a 007 movie usually open at? They're never R rated. If the movie is good, it will do well. I'll see it this week. Maybe close my eyes for certain "parts". :sick: