• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen takes in $55.7 million

93 posts in this topic

Sheesh, I would LOVE to flop like that.

Trust me, movie investors do NOT invest hundreds of millions into a funny book flick with the intention of "making a little profit".

Unless Watchmen business picks up, it will be a flop from an investment point of view.

Not so fast. ------

C

There's international revenue to come, OPENED WELL THOS WEEKEND IN SOME MARKETS

and DVD revenue. SHOULD BE PRETTY GOOD

And the cable rights, ALREADY DONE... OUTPUT DEALS ALREADY IN PLACE

and subsequent distribution rights... ALREADY DONE

and licensing, etc etc etc. DEALS MADE, WAITING FOR PROFITS, HURT BY NON_SMASH OPENING PERHAPS

Sheesh, I would LOVE to flop like that.

Trust me, movie investors do NOT invest hundreds of millions into a funny book flick with the intention of "making a little profit".

Unless Watchmen business picks up, it will be a flop from an investment point of view.

Not so fast. ------

C

and licensing, etc etc etc. DEALS MADE, WAITING FOR PROFITS, HURT BY NON_SMASH OPENING PERHAPS

NOT FACTORED INTO $55.7 million OPENING WEEKEND GROSSES

NOT FACTORED INTO OPENING WEEKEND GROSSES

AND NOT FACTORED INTO OPENING WEEKEND GROSSES

AND NOT FACTORED INTO OPENING WEEKEND GROSSES

You are right, this weekend's grosses are just the tip of the iceberg. Aside from the 3 days so far there is a mountain of money already made and waiting to be made. (thumbs u

C

Think how much they'll make on sequels. :insane:

I have no doubt that someone in Hollywood is considering a Rorschach prequel.

I'd go see it...Haley's performance was by far the best thing about Watchmen... (thumbs u

Jim

Think how much they'll make on sequels. :insane:

I have no doubt that someone in Hollywood is considering a Rorschach prequel.

I'd go see it...Haley's performance was by far the best thing about Watchmen... (thumbs u

Jim

I'd see it, too. (thumbs u

You are right, this weekend's grosses are just the tip of the iceberg.

:roflmao:

You guys are so naive. That money has already been factored into the budget, and in the case of studio-owned distribution, licensing, PPV, and cable rights, already been spent.

Sure, Watchmen will make a bit of profit, but again, that is not what investors expected when they were sold on the project. Examples like Spider-man, Dark Knight, Iron Man, X-Men, etc. were the goal.

But even though financially, Watchmen is not setting any records and will be categorized as a "mild disappointment", who cares? Are you are investor? A studio exec? A profit participant? Otherwise, just enjoy the movie and leave the dollars and cents to the bean counters.

But even though financially, Watchmen is not setting any records and will be categorized as a "mild disappointment", who cares? Are you are investor? A studio exec? A profit participant? Otherwise, just enjoy the movie and leave the dollars and cents to the bean counters.

Did you actually write that? I've never seen ANYONE more obsessed with "bean counting" as it relates to the movie industry than you. doh!

Did you actually write that? I've never seen ANYONE more obsessed with "bean counting" as it relates to the movie industry than you.

What? I absolutely detest this whole "box office fixation" and I much prefer to talk about the story and overall quality.

But unfortunately, many view something like Dark Knight taking on half a billion as "financial vindication" of their nerd-lifestyle. "Check it out Ma, it wasn't all a waste of time, look at all the money these funny book movies are making!!" (shrug)

You are right, this weekend's grosses are just the tip of the iceberg.

:roflmao:

You guys are so naive. That money has already been factored into the budget, and in the case of studio-owned distribution, licensing, PPV, and cable rights, already been spent.

Sure, Watchmen will make a bit of profit, but again, that is not what investors expected when they were sold on the project. Examples like Spider-man, Dark Knight, Iron Man, X-Men, etc. were the goal.

Naive? How so? When a movie is made, the studio factors in expected revenue vs expenditures, just like any other business venture. I doubt anyone here is naive about that.

Naive? How so? When a movie is made, the studio factors in expected revenue vs expenditures, just like any other business venture. I doubt anyone here is naive about that.

Exactly, and everything about Watchmen's production and promotional budget was based on higher box office numbers than it's receiving. That filters down, and bean counters can estimate DVDs sales, cable demand, PPV fees, etc. all based on the BO.

People are talking like DVD sales and cable fees are like unexpected "money from heaven", when in reality it's already been accounted for down to the penny.

Exactly, and everything about Watchmen's production and promotional budget was based on higher box office numbers than it's receiving.

How do you know that exactly? Do you work in Warner's budgeting dept.? Did Barry Meyer send you a copy of the Watchmen budget?

Exactly, and everything about Watchmen's production and promotional budget was based on higher box office numbers than it's receiving. That filters down, and bean counters can estimate DVDs sales, cable demand, PPV fees, etc. all based on the BO.

People are talking like DVD sales and cable fees are like unexpected "money from heaven", when in reality it's already been accounted for down to the penny.

Actually, no one ever said that the deals weren't cut or the money wasn't already in. What was said was that the $55.7 million was one weekend of domestic ticket sales and nothing more. That none of these other income streams were counted towards that total.

The negative nellies were calling it a flop because it cost $150 million and made $55.7 in weekend one. That is an incorrect comparison since the dollars in include far more than weekend 1 domestic box office.

I was pointing out the several sources of income that were not part of the $55.7 million. Whether they were in Warner's coffers already or if the deals were already struck is irrelevant. It was a refutation of the overly simplified "It only made $55 million" argument for it being a flop.

It's not naive and no one thinks it's "money from heaven". The only naivete are from folks that believe all the income streams combined aren't significant.

C