• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleveland Collections

29 posts in this topic

I meant to ask this before, and then totally space it off. I have purchased a couple Cleveland copies in the past. As far as I can tell these books are phenomenal. I just went ahead and bought another one just recently. Anyone have any idea why these aren't recognized as a pedigree? And/or who discovered the collection?

Brian

Based on my phone conversation with Steve Borock regarding pedigrees a few months ago, Steve mentions that they tend to recognize pedigrees on the CGC labels when they feel that there is sufficient market acceptance for the pedigree. Like you, I have seen a bunch of these books and they are as nice as some recognized pedigrees. However, a lot of the lesser pedigrees were recognized previous to the inception of CGC. Yes, initially CGC was only going to recognize the short list of pedigrees but they felt that the non-inclusion of the others would limit the owners of the other pedigree books from submitting them. Unfortunately, some junky pedigrees such as the Bowling Green pedigree got recognized while some better recent finds haven't gotten official recognition.

I don't know who specifically found it but I did noticed that Harley Yee had a bunch of them for sale in San Diego. I also got a DC from comgeek through eBay but he didn't specifically mention that it was from the collection.

I meant to ask this before, and then totally space it off. I have purchased a couple Cleveland copies in the past. As far as I can tell these books are phenomenal. I just went ahead and bought another one just recently. Anyone have any idea why these aren't recognized as a pedigree? And/or who discovered the collection?

Brian

I did an internet search but yielded basically nothing. Any background on this pedigree?

Funny thing happened to me. I placed a very low bid on a 9.4 X-men #37 that Harley had, and I won! I get the book and it is AWESOME! Inside the bag I see a pedigree slip that it is from the Cleveland collection. What was funny was that it was not stated in his ebay auction that it was from this pedigree collection. I was totally surprised at my fortune! And my God...the gloss is blinding!!!!

Timely

Brian,

I saw the guy that had those Clevland copies at the NY Show in June. I forget the guy's name but he was right next Bob's table at MSG. He had alot of ASMs at the time and I remember trying to grab the ASM 75 , but it was gone. As was the Superman 199 - Nice books, that's for sure -

btw, you never got back to me about the realtor... confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey Mike, sorry I forgot about that. I'll send you a PM about that.

If you can think of the name of the seller, that'd be great. I know there's a bunch of ASMs in that collection, and I'd like to get 'em smile.gif

Brian

Based on my phone conversation with Steve Borock regarding pedigrees a few months ago, Steve mentions that they tend to recognize pedigrees on the CGC labels when they feel that there is sufficient market acceptance for the pedigree. Like you, I have seen a bunch of these books and they are as nice as some recognized pedigrees. However, a lot of the lesser pedigrees were recognized previous to the inception of CGC. Yes, initially CGC was only going to recognize the short list of pedigrees but they felt that the non-inclusion of the others would limit the owners of the other pedigree books from submitting them. Unfortunately, some junky pedigrees such as the Bowling Green pedigree got recognized while some better recent finds haven't gotten official recognition.

I don't know who specifically found it but I did noticed that Harley Yee had a bunch of them for sale in San Diego. I also got a DC from comgeek through eBay but he didn't specifically mention that it was from the collection.

Who the hell are you and what have you done with Greggy?!?!?!?!?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Tired of stooping to YOUR level! frown.gif

Did he have any raw books?

I really wish more dealers had websites. IMO it's really not that hard to toss up an alright website with an easily updatable database of books available. Not saying that I wouldn't buy from someone if they didn't have one, just saying it would be nice. I'd assume it'd improve sales too..?

Brian

I know...when I weigh that one post against the 10,000 graemlin-only posts between he and bugaboo...the scale tips heavily in favor of this thread! confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifthumbsup2.gif

Here's the reply from the seller

"THE CLEVELAND COLLECTION WAS MASSIVE. IT WAS A NEAR COMPLETE DC AND MARVEL

COLLECTION FROM 1958 TO 1972. RETAIL VALUE WAS ABOUT 450,000.00 WITH ABOUT

150,000 CGC'D."

Yeh... and this isn't a pedigree because...? tongue.gif

Brian

Here's the reply from the seller

"THE CLEVELAND COLLECTION WAS MASSIVE. IT WAS A NEAR COMPLETE DC AND MARVEL

COLLECTION FROM 1958 TO 1972. RETAIL VALUE WAS ABOUT 450,000.00 WITH ABOUT

150,000 CGC'D."

Yeh... and this isn't a pedigree because...? tongue.gif

Brian

Huh? You got a response? He never responded to me! Like I said earlier, CGC doesn't normally recognize new pedigrees on their labels until they get more widespread market acceptance. I'm sure that they will eventually get recognized but not now! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yeh, I got a couple responses from him. He types in all caps evidentally.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Supposedly he sold a bunch of books to Steve Lauterbach, Jason Ewert, Harley Yee, Metropolis, and.....Heritage?? Wonder if many of those really nice books Ewert is selling are Clevelands..

Brian

I don't think that the books Ewert are selling are from the Cleveland collection. They don't have the COA with them. The one that I got from comgeek had the COA and was the same as the ones that I saw with Harley's books.

So...is this guy selling off eBay? I may need to contact him again! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Funny thing happened to me. I placed a very low bid on a 9.4 X-men #37 that Harley had, and I won! I get the book and it is AWESOME! Inside the bag I see a pedigree slip that it is from the Cleveland collection. What was funny was that it was not stated in his ebay auction that it was from this pedigree collection. I was totally surprised at my fortune! And my God...the gloss is blinding!!!!

Timely the same thing just happened to me. I won an X-Men #12 from Heritage for what I felt was a good price but I have been away at college. When I got home for Christmas break I see the book for the first time and it is amazing. Then my dad says, "oh yeah it came with a slip of paper it is in your drawer." I go and find a slip that says it's from the Edenwald Collection. I had no idea when I bought it. Does anyone know anything about the Edenwald COLLECTION. Notice how I spelled collection in caps because it is not a pedigree and my guess as to why is it is not all original owner.

Eric

It was discussed before. Heritage auctioned off a ton of "Edenwald" books back in one of last years Signature auctions. I remember there being lots of Bronze books in there. Anyways, Conrad Eschenburg (sp?) is the one who has/had them. The prices are pretty high on the ones he still has.

Brian