• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleveland Collections

29 posts in this topic

Yeh I don't remember the original reasoning it wasn't one.. but after hearing people talk about it, it was pretty laughable. I'm thinking that someone said it was just a ploy for Conrad to get more money out of the books, he already prices his stuff sky high though so must of the stuff was RNM on Heritage.

Brian

Perhaps Ewert isn't selling them with the COAs? He has a Cap 109 9.4 with white pages which just happens to be the book the Cleveland seller is missing. He told me he has 108 in 9.4 W, and 110 9.6 W. Perhaps just a coincidence.

Brian

It was discussed before. Heritage auctioned off a ton of "Edenwald" books back in one of last years Signature auctions. I remember there being lots of Bronze books in there. Anyways, Conrad Eschenburg (sp?) is the one who has/had them. The prices are pretty high on the ones he still has.

Brian

conrad is on crack with his prices. insane.gif

Huh? You got a response? He never responded to me! Like I said earlier, CGC doesn't normally recognize new pedigrees on their labels until they get more widespread market acceptance. I'm sure that they will eventually get recognized but not now! 893applaud-thumb.gif

They did that for the "Don and Maggie" collection, but they've recognized several without waiting for market approval--examples include Western Penn, Curator, Lost Valley, and Vancouver. They recognized those solely upon their assessment of the collection's quality.

Huh? You got a response? He never responded to me! Like I said earlier, CGC doesn't normally recognize new pedigrees on their labels until they get more widespread market acceptance. I'm sure that they will eventually get recognized but not now! 893applaud-thumb.gif

They did that for the "Don and Maggie" collection, but they've recognized several without waiting for market approval--examples include Western Penn, Curator, Lost Valley, and Vancouver. They recognized those solely upon their assessment of the collection's quality.

Yeah....but it was CGC who made the decision on those pedigrees. Western Penn was mentioned in the early 1990s and mentioned by Keith Contarino as one of only 2 Silver age collections (along with the White Mountain books) to deserve pedigree status at the time. Personally, the Lost Valley collection sucks as a pedigree. Most of the books are blah. But...like I said, this is what Steve told me via a phone conversation a few months ago. What they ultimately do is up to them. tongue.gif

P.S. Personally, some of the previous "pedigrees" recognized by CGC such as the Bowling Green pedigree sucks. I saw the grades from them from the 2000 Sotheby's and the grades weren't that spectacular. Sure, they were sold in title runs and the grades were of the average run but come on...none of the keys were in the high grade! 893frustrated.gif

I just bought one of his cgd Avengers on ebay from the Cleveland collection - the guy who found it owns NorthCoast Nostalgia and I talked to him for about half an hour. He has been in comics about 25 years and he said that this was the find of a lifetime. The owner was a store customer who bought all the books off the rack and carefully kept them - there were multiples of some books. It was almost a complete DC and Marvel run from 1958 to 1972! He said some of the earlist books were not super high grade but still nice - most of the Spideys from 10 up were 9.4s including the 11 and 13! He said one of the best parts was the page quality - very nice and great covers. He said he went to the owners home and personally inventories and appraised the book and the way it worked out, evryone made money and was happy with the deal. he thinks cgc added at least $50k to the sales of the books. They are almost all gone now though- I already checked so no great FFs or JiMs sitting there. He started marketing the collection about 9 months ago - and I think he said a bunch were soldf at a con in Philadelphia. The store owner was very nice to talk with and it was a great story.