• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Ewert and BB#34 + MIS #90

135 posts in this topic

My name is Jeremy Richards and I'm new to the boards having lurked for years.

I'm beginning the long road of selling my collection due to the fact that at 52 my wonderful wife (41) is have our baby.........no one was more surprised than her.!!

My greatest wish and holy of holy grails come true.

I've chosen to go with you guys for all the obvious reasons.....hoping my books find a good home, and not just an auction house.....of course if I have to, feebay will follow. I'm parting with these guys raw to raise funds to send the rest of my books to CGC....so your purchase is going to a good cause and you will see them here later.

My first offering ( please forgive me if I'm breaking all the rules with my amateur attempt) is carefully selected for maximum exposure.

Any help from you guys will be gratefully accepted as I fumble along.

Please review my scans and I think my offering will be self evident......I feel a notable historical offering to the collecting community.....Comic Collectings Greatest Villain.........possibly.

The BB is beautiful and I believe in Fn+ and with out any sign of hanky panky.(tiny trace of rust at the staples)

The Mystery in Space I believe a NM+ Gorgeous and I think not tampered with also.

Original signed catalog and original signed receipt from Jason Ewert.

Note the date of purchase............... his pre slabbing days.

My asking price for this lot is $1500 (high I know) post and ins. on me.

PayPal and personnel check ok, but would prefer cashiers check or money order shipping to USA only.

If I'm completely out of line here I trust I will be crucified and I will be open to offers. A complete refund will be offered should you find the items are not as described on return to me as sent, less postage and ins.

thanks for your time.

Jeremy BraveandtheBold340001.jpgBraveandtheBold340002.jpgMysteryinSpace900001.jpgMysteryinSpace900002.jpgJasonreciept0002.jpgJasonreciept0003.jpgJasonreciept0001.jpg

I understand you bought these from Ewert, but why name the thread "Jason Ewert and ...."?

He's a seller that knows how to generate interest. :gossip:

I understand you bought these from Ewert, but why name the thread "Jason Ewert and ...."?

He's a seller that knows how to generate interest. :gossip:

But for a long time lurker, hes gotta know its not going to be positive interest

Interesting first post and good luck.

Kudos for being open about them being Ewart books, but that is probably all the more reason you should get them slabbed, especially if you are looking for GPA+ prices. With blue labels and if the books reach the grades you expect the price is not unreasonable.

Regardless, splitting the two up might give you a better chance to sell one. Unless a collector happened to need both, it would be tough to eat the cost of one or to try to flip it quickly, especially with its history. (Brave and Bold was ridiculously expensive in 1993 if it was purchased as an F+, damn!!!)

I agree with Pokerkid, I would be interested in the BB 34, but not the MIS. I would probably not buy a book that expensive if it was'nt slabbed first. The fact that Ewert sold it to you would'nt bother me at all if it was slabbed.

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your emails and suggestions.

As you can probably see I am really interested in the historical significants in this offering rather than the true value of the books...................lots of books out there... but these have a very interesting checkered provenance if you will.

For me that is the essence of the lot, so I will try to keep it all together.I think they should all be in someones museum somewhere.

An insight into the mind of young Jason, but also a very interesting catalog and reference of books he had and sold ...what was that big high grade collection he refers to?

Got an email today from one of the big auction houses so I may be forced to go there with the bulk of my collection.........

Incidentally Ive been lurking around here for so long as I just don't type well, I'm a 2 finger guy ..................and its torture!! Started collecting in 1964 as a 7 year old,but have learned so very much from everyone here...many thanks

Jeremy

Hi Guys

As you can probably see I am really interested in the historical significants in this offering rather than the true value of the books...................lots of books out there... but these have a very interesting checkered provenance if you will.

For me that is the essence of the lot, so I will try to keep it all together.I think they should all be in someones museum somewhere.

An insight into the mind of young Jason, but also a very interesting catalog and reference of books he had and sold ...what was that big high grade collection he refers to?

Got an email today from one of the big auction houses so I may be forced to go there with the bulk of my collection.........

Incidentally Ive been lurking around here for so long as I just don't type well, I'm a 2 finger guy ..................and its torture!! Started collecting in 1964 as a 7 year old,but have learned so very much from everyone here...many thanks

Jeremy

Am I reading this correctly? You feel that these books are worth MORE because they came from Ewert?

Hi Guys

Jeremy

Am I reading this correctly? You feel that these books are worth MORE because they came from Ewert?

That's what I don't get. I have several questions about this post, which makes me think it's a forum member pulling a joke. Why advertise Ewert? Why assume they're worth more because of their association with Ewart? Why ask 3X what you paid for them? They should be in a museum?

hmmm

Not to cast aspersions where they are not due, but the original poster signed up back in 2005? Plus, his use of language does not seem like someone who was born in the fifties (I know because I was and most I associate with were). But, I digress.

It is an interesting angle. That this provenance is worth something.

I'll pass.

Because of this provenance, I would think that they would actually be half guide.

This is a joke thread, right? April 1st is a few weeks away.

If it is a serious selling thread. You really should have them slabbed and sell themn separately. To maximize your profit potential, as has been suggested.

(damn, why am I always so cynical?)

Hello Beyonder

Nice to meet such a veteran forumite as yourself along with everyone else.

Please belove me when I say that I am not trying to offend you or anyone else by my offering.

And in fact please remember that it is just that an offering ...let the open market determine the value I simply asked what I would like and what I think I would pay.

I'm from an antique business family my father being (rest his soul) once one of California's foremost experts in his field for some 40 years.

And I'm inclined to think that our once cozy little hobby has moved into a machine corporate mentality were the personal and unique are trampled on by the machine.

This being said as a collector I look for the rare and unusual with history , provenance, an idiosyncratic twist etc. Hoping for a deeper experience than just the slab,(I also collect WW1 medals all about the original recipient)

I thought this lot would appeal to other collectors like myself....I truly believe that in the future with all the very best books in the world slabbed away sterile and untouchable a revisionist view will be sought for things related to an expanded second market of historical firsts provenance etc. regardless of grade.

Again please remember I said I am open to offers for this unique lot ….....and should I be wrong...... the books will end up with the machine.....selling no doubt at multiples of guide................ regretfully.

I have an idea and this will hopefully be my last post here on this.......lets take this topic to the main forum and have a friendly debate on this issue,....Jason Ewert and the like.....”Is there a place in collecting for the notorious, nefarious and down right scandalous”.......thinking Madam Tousourds (spelling) Wax Museum type interest here....could be fun and possibly ground breaking.

Best

JR