• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When it comes to grading..........

18 posts in this topic

How accurate is the Official Overstreet Comic Book Grading guide: Third Edition? It has a 10.0-.5 grading scale.

It's fine for beginners...you can learn from it. But will it turn you into someone that grade on par with CGC??? That's doubtful.

Nothing beats experience and communication among your peers.

I have a 3rd edition I bought off a friend and I like it. Steve Borock even writes and article in it. Its fairly eay to use except one chart I really don't understand but other then that I like it. Im new to grading so figured it would be a good start.

I have been advised by a couple folks on these very boards that the 2nd Edition is more accurate than the third. I don't have a copy of the third so I can't confirm either way.

I have been advised by a couple folks on these very boards that the 2nd Edition is more accurate than the third. I don't have a copy of the third so I can't confirm either way.

(thumbs u

They did some questionable stuff like allow defects on a 10.0 in the 3rd.

there's a lengthy discourse by FFB on why the 3rd edition is a steaming pile comparative to the 2nd edition. he wrote it just after the 3rd edition went to publication.

good luck with the search feature!

Defects on a 10.0? Thats interesting. Not to go OT but does anyone know the highest grade a book can get if there is writing or stamp on the cover?

9.8 is the highest I've seen. Beyond that, no writing or stamps are allowed.

Defects on a 10.0? Thats interesting. Not to go OT but does anyone know the highest grade a book can get if there is writing or stamp on the cover?

Am i the only one that thinks it's a joke that a book can get a 9.8 with cover damage such as writing and date stamps? I have to say this may bug me more then 9.6 to 9.8 books with tan pages.

Questionable grading standard anomalies aside, one thing that stuck me about the 2nd edition is that the photos are so small that the defects described aren’t always plainly visible. I assume the 3rd edition is the same way. The book really should be large enough for actual size photos.

Am i the only one that thinks it's a joke that a book can get a 9.8 with cover damage such as writing and date stamps? I have to say this may bug me more then 9.6 to 9.8 books with tan pages.

I believe any writing on a 9.8 must be "small and unobtrusive." If someone signed a comic across the front with a black marker, it would be graded much more harshly (unless there's a SS witness around.)

:D

-slym

good luck with the search feature!

lol

When it comes to grading, you will learn more from the people on the boards than you will ever learn from an Overstreet grading guide. Some of the tighest graders in the hobby reside right here.