• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slabbed books other than CGC for sale in the marketplace.

135 posts in this topic

Over the past couple of months I have seen two or three sellers list books for sale in the marketplace that were obviously slabbed by a rival grading company.

In one of the posts a picture is provided and it is apparent that the book is in graded holder of some type, yet the label is purposely cropped out. The CGC graded books in the for sale thread are all prominently displayed. Other times only a description is furnished saying that the book resides in a "plastic case."

Is this not against selling forum rules?

I know the first rule of the marketplace is as follows:

1.) Books must be CGC or raw only, or items directly related to comics.

I know that if I bought one of this books and it was sent to me in a competitors slab I would be disappointed as this would be information that I would want to know up front as I would not purchase the slab. Secondly, those types of books shouldn't even be for sale in the For Sale Forum.

I guess my feeling is that if you have a book that is graded by a competing company and you want to sell it on the boards, crack it out and do so raw. To do otherwise is a violation of the For Sale Forum guidelines.

What if it is slabbed in the other company's plastic when scanned with no mention of the grade on the label, but shipped raw? That's essentially the same as posting an image of the book through the mylar.

Yes it is.

There are other venues to sell books graded by other then CGC, but these boards are not the place for it.

Pretty simple really. (shrug)

Yes it is.

There are other venues to sell books graded by other then CGC, but these boards are not the place for it.

Pretty simple really. (shrug)

Agreed. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

When it happened to me I said my piece in feedback thread as nicely( and as funny) as I could and moved on because it wasn't a witchhunt issue for me.

I agree with Mio that something that was previously graded by the wrong company shouldn't be punished just because it looks slabbed in a scan as long as they don't treat it as a CGC grade.

If it happened again I'd don't care if they previously had it slab for a half-assed resto check for themself but I would expect a PM asking me if I want it sent raw before shipping.

What if it is slabbed in the other company's plastic when scanned with no mention of the grade on the label, but shipped raw? That's essentially the same as posting an image of the book through the mylar.

No it isn't. Would you like to plunk down, say $500, for a book and it arrive in a PGX slab when you were expecting Mylar or a CGC slab? I certainly wouldn't. I have bought PGX books in the past, but I knew what they were and what I was getting and it wasn't through a for sale thread in the marketplace.

Furthermore, should that not be something that should be disclosed up front?

No it isn't. Would you like to plunk down, say $500, for a book and it arrive in a PGX slab when you were expecting Mylar or a CGC slab? I certainly wouldn't. I have bought PGX books in the past, but I knew what they were and what I was getting and it wasn't through a for sale thread in the marketplace.

I think you missed the second part of his post that I emboldened.

-slym

-slym

If they are gonna ship it raw, scan it and sell it raw. (thumbs u

-slym

If they are gonna ship it raw, scan it and sell it raw. (thumbs u

^^ ^^ Chicken Dinnah

Over the past couple of months I have seen two or three sellers list books for sale in the marketplace that were obviously slabbed by a rival grading company.

In one of the posts a picture is provided and it is apparent that the book is in graded holder of some type, yet the label is purposely cropped out. The CGC graded books in the for sale thread are all prominently displayed. Other times only a description is furnished saying that the book resides in a "plastic case."

Is this not against selling forum rules?

I know the first rule of the marketplace is as follows:

1.) Books must be CGC or raw only, or items directly related to comics.

I know that if I bought one of this books and it was sent to me in a competitors slab I would be disappointed as this would be information that I would want to know up front as I would not purchase the slab. Secondly, those types of books shouldn't even be for sale in the For Sale Forum.

I guess my feeling is that if you have a book that is graded by a competing company and you want to sell it on the boards, crack it out and do so raw. To do otherwise is a violation of the For Sale Forum guidelines.

Agreed the books should not be offered here. And it is against forum rules. Indeed a violation.

Okay this was my understanding when the sales thread rules were getting created.

You could sell another company's slabbed book only if it the label and most of the case was not shown and it had to be treated as a raw book. You would give it your own grade, not what the other company gave. (Unless that is what you thought it was when you submitted the book.) The buyer could ask for it to be cracked out or kept in the slab.

I have never sold another companie's slabbed book here, so I am not cheerleading for any other company. But if Foolkiller, October, greggy (or anyone) were to list a book this way and said they felt it was a 9.0 and it came in another companies holder slabbed as 8.5 it wouldn't bother me. If I opened the slab and disagreed, I then would think it should have a return option like any other raw book should have. If I cracked a CGC slab and disagreed with the grade well tough luck for me.

Just my 2c

If there is no mention that it's graded or slabbed, why should it matter? Maybe the solution is to offer to crack the book before shipping. What difference does it make if the seller stands behind the grade they assign and it's unrestored status? Does it affect the buyer if the book is in a slab or a mylar. Maybe the seller could also send a separate board and bag.