• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ditko Spidey & Dr Strange sketch on ebay

46 posts in this topic

Kind of surprised no one has brought this up until now. Absolutely, a very cool piece, with both of Ditko's signature characters. Even though the paper looks like it's about to disintegrate. :o

Assuming this is the real deal, $5K seems fair enough given where Ditko's market is with published stuff. Also, when you consider some of the "hot" artists today will charge in that ballpark for unpublished commissions, $5K for a vintage unpublished Ditko piece with two major Marvel characters doesn't seem bad at all.

Would love to find out more about this piece, where it came from, if it was used for anything, etc..

This is very similar to the piece that sold on Comiclink. Does anyone remember what that one sold for? Anyway, this was created in the same manner as that piece and was created for and published in a fanzine around 1965. If you google search, you can find exactly where these were used. I think this one is better than the one sold on Comiclink so it'll be interesting to see what it sells for.

It's pretty amazing to see both of these show up for sale in the same year. I believe that there is a third one that exists and is out there somewhere.

This is very similar to the piece that sold on Comiclink. Does anyone remember what that one sold for? Anyway, this was created in the same manner as that piece and was created for and published in a fanzine around 1965. If you google search, you can find exactly where these were used. I think this one is better than the one sold on Comiclink so it'll be interesting to see what it sells for.

It's pretty amazing to see both of these show up for sale in the same year. I believe that there is a third one that exists and is out there somewhere.

the one on Comiclink - which I had sold about 20 years ago for $800 reached a stratospheric $30k+

It was published in a fanzine about 1970

I don't know if the one on ebay was published

That is one very szzssweeet OA :insane: Just taped on his wall? Are you for real? That's like saying he uses Hulk 181s for placemats or something. That is definitely a conversation piece!

That is one very szzssweeet OA :insane: Just taped on his wall? Are you for real?

Well, looking at the back pic, it has four pieces of tape, one to a corner, on it... at least something close to "taped to a wall."

Better than this:

tapedtowallng7.jpg

:D

-slym

Pin holes, tape holes, could it have actually come from Ditko's own collection.

Clem

Seems doubtful. Everything I've ever heard and read about Ditko suggests that the work was produced for a purpose ie publication and that he saw no other utility for it beyond that. Why else would he be using his vintage art as a cutting board and decline the return of stolen art which resurfaced? Never seemed like a guy who would display his own work.

Just my opinion of course.

Cheers

Joseph

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=9492

I have to agree with Joseph's perspective.

We fans see a value in this stuff.

Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko or Joe Shuster only saw their work as a means to achieve eating & paying rent or mortgage & raising children (though I admit Kirby was as much a fan of his work as anyone else could have been)

It is unlikely that Ditko had retained this piece and it is likely that whomever published it kept it for a time and later traded it off or sold it and could very likely have been the person who taped it to the wall for personal appreciation.

But Ditko taping it up...?

NOT!

So what does everyone reckon this will end at? I don't think it will go $30K but it will be close.

Clem

Really? For what it is, it seems a bit high already. Granted, I don't know the Marvel SA market as well as others, but for that kind of money, you can get a top-notch Ditko panel page. You won't get both characters, though...maybe that's the appeal for some in this piece.

Also, condition issues usually don't bother me, but I don't think that piece is displayable in its current condition. I'm sure it will get restored at some point.

Anyhow, I'd be really surprised if it's even near $20K.