• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Someone catch me up on "New X-Men".....

31 posts in this topic

Latest Wizard has a 8-10 page preview of upcoming arc in New X-Men (Mark Silvestri's art looks sweet), and it was actually pretty interesting. However, I haven't ever read the book, so would someone please give me a synopsis of events up to this point.

From what I could infer (actually guess), it's going back and forth between present and future. "The Beast" (dunno if it's the same one) looks like a lion, is a bad guy in control of things, and wants to harness the Phoenix power. Wolverine is still alive. Xaviers school is in ruins from Sentinel attack. Then the story jumps back to Cyclops and Emma Frost talking about starting the school back up????

I'm confused. confused.gif

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Chris:

this is why I absolutely hate the X-Men books. It's impossible to try and keep up because the writers turn everything into a convoluted mess.

Grant Morrison though, has done a good job with the book, and there were some good arcs. Basically you should know that Morrison planned on breaking Scott and Jean up (again) and introducing the tandem of Emma and Scott together. Morrison made it sound like he came up with this great plot device when it's actually a retread of breaking Jean and Scott up and you know some writer will stick them back together...

Cassandra Nova is Xaiver's evil twin. Good story, pick up the oversized hardcover (the first one) to fill in the details.

The Beast went through another metamorphosis... and he's gay! What a last few years for hank.

Magneto's not dead! He was revealed to be the "new" character Xorn, a teacher at Xaiver's school...

The new arc with Morrison and Silvestri will be Morrison's magnum opus to the X-Men as he says farewell.

Let's see how it goes, I'll buy it... it should be decent.

hopefully someone else will fill you in on the details more... I don't even read new X-Men, but it's all info I've picked up and from the 5 minute readthrough of the book in the store.

Cassandra Nova is Xaiver's evil twin. Good story, pick up the oversized hardcover (the first one) to fill in the details.

A twin huh.....based on her name, sounds more like Dazzler's twin.... insane.gif

The Beast went through another metamorphosis... and he's gay! What a last few years for hank.

Too many Queer Eye for the Straight Guy episodes for Hank apparently..... 893whatthe.gif

Magneto's not dead! He was revealed to be the "new" character Xorn, a teacher at Xaiver's school...

Didn't know he was dead....... confused.gif

I stopped reading the X-Men (and all associated titles except X-Treme) about 6 months before Morrison's run started. Picked it up a couple of times in the store and put it back. Quitely's(?) art just doesn't do it for me.....

May start picking it up again after Claremont comes back though...... thumbsup2.gif

Jim

news.gifSPOILER WARNING news.gif

One thing that interests me about the current story arc is that it appears that the Phoenix Force appears to be manifesting itself in Jean again. Here's the short version. Wolverine went off to some secret facility in space to find out about his past. Jean goes up there to rescue him, but in a turn of events, the facility turns out to be Asteroid M. It happens to be a trap and the entire facility is falling into the sun. There is no way to escape, so Wolverine does the humane thing. He kills Jean. In doing so...it appears that the Phoenix Force is stirring in Jean. There's not much more information about this because the issue just ends with that little teaser.

If you are REALLY behind the New X-Men title, in the current story arc...Magneto is back again. He disguised himself as Xorn, a mutant with fake healing powers who earned a spot as a teacher in Xavier's school. His healing powers were actually nanothingamajigs controlled by his magnetic powers. He gave Xavier the power to walk again, which he took away when he revealed himself to be Magneto. Now he's on some kind of drug that enhances his power, so he's trying to reverse the poles of the Earth (supposedly).

Some things to note:

- There are a lot of new X-Men now.

- Yes, Beast is gay.

- Emma Frost is a teacher at the school too

- Cerebro was destroyed

- There's a lot of other stuff, but it depends on how far back you stopped reading.

All in all, I think that "New X-Men" has some interesting story arcs and concepts, but the mediocre artwork and poor storytelling detract from the whole title. It's not the best I have ever seen, but I find it much more interesting than the current ASM storylines (which is not saying much at all). sumo.gif

There is no way to escape, so Wolverine does the humane thing. He kills Jean.

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Man, if characters started wasting each other at each cliffhanger, there wouldn't be anymore comics.

"Uh oh, it looks bad, the island is breaking up!"

Snikkt! Snikkt! Snikkt!

"It looks like we're not getting home, the shielding on the shuttle is down"

Snikkt! Snikkt! Snikkt! Snikkt! Snikkt!

"Oh no, Magneto has us hooked to machines, making us all vegetables"

Snikkt! Snikkt! Snikkt!

And you wonder why I don't read Moderns anymore. 27_laughing.gif

There is no way to escape, so Wolverine does the humane thing. He kills Jean.

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Man, if characters started wasting each other at each cliffhanger, there wouldn't be anymore comics.

"Uh oh, it looks bad, the island is breaking up!"

Snikkt! Snikkt! Snikkt!

"It looks like we're not getting home, the shielding on the shuttle is down"

Snikkt! Snikkt! Snikkt! Snikkt! Snikkt!

"Oh no, Magneto has us hooked to machines, making us all vegetables"

Snikkt! Snikkt! Snikkt!

And you wonder why I don't read Moderns anymore. 27_laughing.gif

Oh yeah, the comics that have come before are freaking masterpieces of literature, aren't they?

Oh yeah, the comics that have come before are freaking masterpieces of literature, aren't they?

Comparatively speaking, yes they were.

Catering to kids and teens, the books of 70's were incredibly good, taught me a lot about vocabulary, structure and even a bit of real-world happenings, but now that they've targetted the adult demographic exclusively, the "relative" content of most books just makes me laugh.

In many cases, books from 70's and 80's are were far more intelligent and well-written than these retards churning out "comics are for adults", the majority of which are trash.

The important question is: Who is your target market, and are you talking up or down to them?

The energy and spirit of the Silver and Bronze creators has been replaced by film school drop-outs with no idea of how to use or develop the medium, and Moderns are definitely talking down, relative to the average adult.

Catering to kids and teens, the books of 70's were incredibly good, taught me a lot about vocabulary, structure and even a bit of real-world happenings, but now that they've targetted the adult demographic exclusively, the "relative" content of most books just makes me laugh.

In many cases, books from 70's and 80's are were far more intelligent and well-written than these retards churning out "comics are for adults", the majority of which are trash.

The important question is: Who is your target market, and are you talking up or down to them?

The energy and spirit of the Silver and Bronze creators has been replaced by film school drop-outs with no idea of how to use or develop the medium, and Moderns are definitely talking down, relative to the average adult.

Come now, JC. Can you REALLY say that they were freaking masterpieces of literature? I would say that they are at most...moderately to somewhat freaking masterpieces. Perhaps Almost Freaking Masterpiece with a qualified label. insane.gifinsane.gif

Man, I need sleep. These finals are killing me.

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

sign-rantpost.gif

RE: the beast's new [secondary] 'mutation'? WTF??!! Since when are we mutating the guys to their names??!! The beasts MUTATION was agility and strength. 893frustrated.gifinsane.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Where the hell does a Lion with hooves fit into this??!!

and he's not really gay, that was a [VERY, very] stupid sub-plot. confused-smiley-013.gif

The Xorn link was WAY weak. I hope I'm not being close-minded here, but I'm not enjoying the New X-Men at all.

I hope, when Claremont gets back he goes back to writing good, cool stories, and stops smoking whatever he's been smoking while writing X-Treme [!@#%^&^]!! insane.gif

BTW Chris, this whole arena thing has been done already....not only in Mad Max, but also in the final months of Dazzler!! 893frustrated.gif

Relax ladies...Beast is NOT gay. He said that to cover up the fact that he hasn't been w/ a woman in ages and he blames his secondary mutation. He said that he 'might as well be gay' in a recent issue.

I wouldn't be so sure of that... we'll see if the Beast remains "really" gay or not.

Anyway, thanks for filling in the gaps guys... people like New X-Men... but to me, the X-Franchise has been further and further from enjoyable recently.... although again, give Morrison a try, it wasn't for me, but maybe others.

As you're more than happy to point you don't read new books and even if you did you would only read Marvels anyway, so I'm not sure how much weight your opinion of the state of comics today actually carries. Just a thought.

[As you're more than happy to point you don't read new books and even if you did you would only read Marvels anyway, so I'm not sure how much weight your opinion of the state of comics today actually carries. Just a thought.

I don't BUY new comics, but I do borrow or purchase (cheap) TPBs here and there.

P.S. I was referring mostly to X-Men Marvels, since that's what the thread is referring to.... makepoint.gif

Please. Comparing generations of comic "literature" is like asking whose poop tastes less bad. It all tastes like [!@#%^&^] and it leaves a bad taste in your mouth afterward.

Now, in WHAT cases are books from the 70's and 80's ANY better than the better Modern books? You see, you can't make a statement like that and not back it up with examples, because we need to KNOW what you're talking about. How do we know you're not comparing severely crappy modern books to relatively epic tomes of the past?

How's this Khaos, since you obviously didn't read my post:

Comics in the 70's were targetted at the younger demographic, and provided quite high-brow entertainment considering the more prevalent kid demographic.

Comics in the 2000's cater exclusively to an adult crowd, and relatively speaking, are brain dead BS compared to the target demographic. (I'm assuming most comic book readers are not .)

It's all relative, and just as I believe the Harry Potter books aren't exactly "classic literature" I'm the first to state that it's pretty high-end for its main demographic.

How's this Khaos, since you obviously didn't read my post:

Comics in the 70's were targetted at the younger demographic, and provided quite high-brow entertainment considering the more prevalent kid demographic.

Comics in the 2000's cater exclusively to an adult crowd, and relatively speaking, are brain dead BS compared to the target demographic. (I'm assuming most comic book readers are not .)

It's all relative, and just as I believe the Harry Potter books aren't exactly "classic literature" I'm the first to state that it's pretty high-end for its main demographic.

I read what you said, I just wanted specific examples and contrasts. You're making blanket statements and those are too easily dismissed, no?

I read what you said, I just wanted specific examples and contrasts. You're making blanket statements and those are too easily dismissed, no?

Okay, I'll shoot some fish in a barrel:

USM vs. Bronze ASM (121-150)

The first is a watered-down, PC, retreaded, milksop of a book, which, albeit entertaining at times, pales in comparison to the adult themes, dialogue and subject matter of a Spider-man book put out 30 years ago.

One is fluff, whle the other has actual content.

The first is a watered-down, PC, retreaded, milksop of a book, which, albeit entertaining at times, pales in comparison to the adult themes, dialogue and subject matter of a Spider-man book put out 30 years ago.

27_laughing.gif

You do realize, of course, that the exact same thing was said by comic readers in 1977 talking about Silver Age Spideys. Everything is better in hindsight. There were great books in the 70s, but there are equally great books now (and, conversely, there was a lot of [!@#%^&^] in the 70s and there's a lot of [!@#%^&^] now).

Here's a challenge. Send me an address and I'll zap you Mark Waid's FF run. If you don't like it, I'll give awe4one's $50 that I'm getting January 1 (bwah hah hah) to any charity you want. Weiringo's art is a little cartoony, but read the story! I'd put Waid's FF up against any issues in the entire 502 issue run.

But USM was designed FOR kids. Was it not launched to get younger people to come to the market? You were talking about target audiences, no? I would say that the Bronze ASM was geared for the older crowd, thus the "more mature" themes. After all, it had been around for a long while at that point and I would wager the Powers-That-Were were afraid of losing their readership as they grew older. Thus the "more mature" themes.

I'm starting to think that USM is the only modern book that you've ever heard anyone else talk about, Joe. wink.gif