• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turn Off the Oven, Watchmen is DONE!

124 posts in this topic

I think that being rated R is a huge factor in this movie.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

300, same director, same R rating, similar openings:

Domestic: $210,614,939

+ Foreign: $245,453,242

= Worldwide: $456,068,181

Apples and oranges.

Although 300 WAS a comic book movie, I'd venture a guess that 75% of the viewers didn't even know this. I think a flick like Braveheart is more of an apples to apples comparison to 300, basically a bad-arse historical take that appealed to the masses. V and Watchmen, as you've eluded to earlier, are better comparisons as well.

Vincent, a serious question. What comic book related movies do you like?

I've posted lists a ton of times, and one very recently. Someone needs to write these down :pullhair:

V for Vendetta, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Blade, Spider-man 1 & 2, X1 and X3, Sin City, The Crow, Superman 1 & 2, and probably one or two I'm forgetting.

And the above list doesn't include conventional GNs like Ghost World, Road to Perdition, History of Violence, etc.

I could be wrong,

but I think he has answered that about a half a dozen times already hasn't he?

I don't know. I never paid any attention before. The thought finally moved from a wonderment to a curiosity. I never fancied you one to shy away from repetition though.

I've posted lists a ton of times, and one very recently. Someone needs to write these down :pullhair:

V for Vendetta, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Blade, Spider-man 1 & 2, X1 and X3, Sin City, The Crow, Superman 1 & 2, and probably one or two I'm forgetting.

And the above list doesn't include conventional GNs like Ghost World, Road to Perdition, History of Violence, etc.

You liked Spider Man 2? I seem to remember you being kind of tepid toward it. :insane:

Thanks, I've made a mental note.

Although 300 WAS a comic book movie, I'd venture a guess that 75% of the viewers didn't even know this. I think a flick like Braveheart is more of an apples to apples comparison to 300, basically a bad-arse historical take that appealed to the masses. V and Watchmen, as you've eluded to earlier, are better comparisons as well.

Worldwide, you may have a point, as something like 300 translates better to non-English audiences, but you're way off domestically. A movie like Watchmen, if done correctly, with the right -script that draws a repeat audience, has a much higher US ceiling than 300 ever would.

But Snyder and Co. screwed the pooch on the movie, and I think it's high time even the fanboys admitted this. It wasn't a very good movie, end of story.

And compariing V for Vendetta (a low-cost indy film) to a big budget schlock-fest like Watchmen is truly an apples to oranges example - they probably spent more in the Watchmen poster campaign than V cost to make. :insane:

You liked Spider Man 2? I seem to remember you being kind of tepid toward it. :insane:

First Pete, and now Repeat. :insane:

A movie like Watchmen, if done correctly, with the right -script that draws a repeat audience, has a much higher US ceiling than 300 ever would.

Disagree here but opinions are like a-holes...

And compariing V for Vendetta (a low-cost indy film) to a big budget schlock-fest like Watchmen is truly an apples to oranges example - they probably spent more in the Watchmen poster campaign than V cost to make. :insane:

Wasn't referring to advertising budgets here JC or the total spend in general, just the flick.

V for VendettaIt cost $54 million dollars to make, but made $131,411,035 worldwide by July of 2006 and is #144 on the IMDb top 250.:

http://www.listal.com/movie/v-for-vendetta

Watchmen , Snyder's vision of Watchmen, would need a budget of $150 million.:

http://www.canmag.com/nw/7032-watchmen-movie-budget

Wasn't referring to advertising budgets here JC or the total spend in general, just the flick.

Then you live in a fantasy land if you don't understand how much the production and promotional budgets separate films.

But I guess opinions are like a-holes. (thumbs u

Has word of mouth really been that bad for this movie?

While not the greatest movie everyone I went with which was about 70 people in which about 40 of them hung out and went back to the lcs seemed to like it for the most part. While comments about the ending and and a few changes thoughout the movie where brought up the gerenal opinion was that it was an alright movie.

Mutantkeys poll seems to suggest the same too.

Worldwide, you may have a point, as something like 300 translates better to non-English audiences, but you're way off domestically. A movie like Watchmen, if done correctly, with the right -script that draws a repeat audience, has a much higher US ceiling than 300 ever would.

But Snyder and Co. screwed the pooch on the movie, and I think it's high time even the fanboys admitted this. It wasn't a very good movie, end of story.

I just love how you love to jump on the bandwagon and bludgeon some of these movies.

but what confuses me is your renewed negative rant about this flick after it's friday box office drop in week two, after having declared that you enjoyed it just a couple of days ago in the watchmen poll thread. I gave it a thumb's up, since I did enjoy it, but only 2 stars since Snyder and the writers really screwed the pooch in some parts.

You really know how to shift with the wind............

and the board poll suggests an 86% approval rating and 75%+ 3-4 star assessments. Gotta love us fanboys............ ;)

For non-fanboys, it has, as you can always count on the slavish nerds to support anything remotely comic-related. But walking in cold, I could see viewers thinking Watchmen is a big steaming POS, as one of the only reasons to see it, is to watch how hackboy Snyder copied the panels to the big screen.

Otherwise, it's just a tedious 3-hours.

For non-fanboys, it has, as you can always count on the slavish nerds to support anything remotely comic-related. But walking in cold, I could see viewers thinking Watchmen is a big steaming POS, as one of the only reasons to see it, is to watch how hackboy Snyder copied the panels to the big screen.

Otherwise, it's just a tedious 3-hours.

But Silk Spectre is naked!!! :frustrated:

but what confuses me is your renewed negative rant about this flick after it's friday box office drop in week two, after having declared that you enjoyed it just a couple of days ago in the watchmen poll thread. I gave it a thumb's up, since I did enjoy it, but only 2 stars since Snyder and the writers really screwed the pooch in some parts.

Can you read? I gave it 2 stars? Want me to write it again. 2 STARS!! doh!

As for the thumbs up/down poll, I like the GN, so I found it was enough to see how Snyder duplicated some of the scenes to barely eke out a "thumbs up" rating, but that doesn't make it a great movie. In fact, it's a pretty bad movie, hence the 2 STAR rating.

And (as my comments attest) I found tons of problems with the movie, and was not shy to post them. I would not recommend Watchmen the movie to anyone, and it's more a curiosity to the GN fans than anything else.

Well I just find it funny that a movie that sucked so much has over 30 threads dedicated to it on these forums. Dark Knight didn't even get that many and that was a good movie. Guess it goes to show how people thrive on negativity.

Also, I am not a fan boy of watchmen and as I mentioned I semi enjoyed myself.

Are people getting butt hurt because some on this forum didnt like the movie?

Definitely, and somehow my "2 stars out of 5" review has people thinking I absolutely loved the movie and am now "changing gears" by slamming it and Snyder.

I do understand that for most fans, just seeing any incarnation of Watchman on the big screen was enough, but that doesn't escape the fact that this one is a pretty bad movie.