• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

O'Barr's "The Crow" love
7 7

2,760 posts in this topic

I hope so. I like the original series a little.

:insane:

(worship)

Nick that's a beautiful set of books,for sure (worship)

Thanks folks.

It was definitely a labor of love tracking all those books down, with two years of searching.

And trust me, there were more false starts with misgraded book sales than I care to count. But it was well worth it in the end.

:cloud9:

2 years? How do you do it Nick? You are so much more efficient then me it's embarrassing. lol I've been searching for over 18 years! :insane: The pathetic thing is that there are no other titles that I've actively searched for in high grade. Not one. The Crow is it. I've done the "crow -fox" search on ebay at least twice a day for years...

But you give me hope! (worship)

WOW! 18 years? Man I feel almost bad ;) I asked Nick to sell me a complete set one day,half jokingly because I knew they are kind of hard to come by.Nick was the greatest and sold me a complete Caliber#1,Crow #1-4 and Caliber Christmas#1 and I think we hashed out the sale in 5 minutes,I could'nt believe my luck.No years of searching for me...................Sometimes I guess you do have to be in the right place at the right time. :acclaim:

Oh don't get me wrong, I've had close to 30 sets come and go through my collection. Probably 50+ copies of #1 1st prints. I LOVE the hunt so don't feel almost bad! lol When I say searching for 18 years I'm talking about trying to find NM/M quality.

Since the series first started being rereleased by Tundra I have searched for near perfect copies of the Caliber series at shops and conventions. Even during a 6 year hiatus I took off from comics, I would still go into comic shops across the US (I used to tour with my brother's band) and look for high grade copies of The Crow. I've emailed probably 80% of the couple 100 stores/dealers listed on cgc's website (the other 20% I either couldn't find contact info or my email got returned to me since their address was no longer active). Nothing. But I think you are right, sometimes it's all about the right place at the right time. Sometimes you get lucky and other times when you are 13 years old you trade a NM- '86 Fleer Jordan Rookie card for a F/VF set of The Crow. :eek:

I haven't been in the right place thus far when it comes to NM/M #'s 1, 3, and CP 15, but I will be.

doh! 50 copies come and go.WOW! I thought you were still looking for one set.Sometimes I can be such an i-d-i-o-t. :makepoint: Edited by oakman29

Oh don't get me wrong, I've had close to 30 sets come and go through my collection. Probably 50+ copies of #1 1st prints. I LOVE the hunt so don't feel almost bad! lol When I say searching for 18 years I'm talking about trying to find NM/M quality.

Since the series first started being rereleased by Tundra I have searched for near perfect copies of the Caliber series at shops and conventions. Even during a 6 year hiatus I took off from comics, I would still go into comic shops across the US (I used to tour with my brother's band) and look for high grade copies of The Crow. I've emailed probably 80% of the couple 100 stores/dealers listed on cgc's website (the other 20% I either couldn't find contact info or my email got returned to me since their address was no longer active). Nothing. But I think you are right, sometimes it's all about the right place at the right time. Sometimes you get lucky and other times when you are 13 years old you trade a NM- '86 Fleer Jordan Rookie card for a F/VF set of The Crow. :eek:

I haven't been in the right place thus far when it comes to NM/M #'s 1, 3, and CP 15, but I will be.

Wow, now there is a Crow legend worthy of a comic all by itself. I sincerely wish you luck William and I'll always try to help when I can. I promise.

(worship)

Thanks folks.

It was definitely a labor of love tracking all those books down, with two years of searching.

And trust me, there were more false starts with misgraded book sales than I care to count. But it was well worth it in the end.

2 years? How do you do it Nick? You are so much more efficient then me it's embarrassing. lol I've been searching for over 18 years! :insane: The pathetic thing is that there are no other titles that I've actively searched for in high grade. Not one. The Crow is it. I've done the "crow -fox" search on ebay at least twice a day for years...

WOW! 18 years? Man I feel almost bad ;) I asked Nick to sell me a complete set one day,half jokingly because I knew they are kind of hard to come by.Nick was the greatest and sold me a complete Caliber#1,Crow #1-4 and Caliber Christmas#1 and I think we hashed out the sale in 5 minutes,I could'nt believe my luck.No years of searching for me...................Sometimes I guess you do have to be in the right place at the right time. :acclaim:

doh! 50 copies come and go.WOW! I thought you were still looking for one set.Sometimes I can be such an i-d-i-o-t. :makepoint:

You are not an i-d-i-o-t. I bet Nick gave you a better deal on your first Crow set then I got on my first set. Haha.

Wow, now there is a Crow legend worthy of a comic all by itself. I sincerely wish you luck William and I'll always try to help when I can. I promise.

Well, William and I bid on the same Crow #3 (right around the time when he said he wasn't buying them anymore lol ), and it was pure luck and budget that I got to that book first.

It ended up being the first 9.8 in the census. :cloud9:

And thank goodness everyone in this thread has been about the love of the story and the books, and not just about showing off.

I still remember William's amazing picture and thinking, "I will never have books that good."

Pure luck and determination is what won out in the end.

I already owe you thanks for pointing out that Crow #4 9.8 a couple weeks after I contacted you about yours (and Jen's). (worship)

:bump:

Well, I decided to sell some of my CGC and raw Crow dupes/undercopies so I figure I would show off while I still can. I guess I could put this under the hoards topic but I think that you guys may be the only ones who would appreciate it!

I found out about the Crow when I was about 12. Tundra re-released it and I bought each issue off the shelves as they came out. I loved it so much that over the years I would always pick up the original Caliber issues whenever I came across them. I recall thinking it was cool that James O'Barr was also from Michigan.

I've actually already sold a few runs of the series and 4 copies of Caliber Presents 1 so this picture isn't exactly complete, but it's everything I have from Caliber that is Crow related at this time. Enjoy!

-William

DSC00498.jpg

(worship)

Thanks folks.

doh! 50 copies come and go.WOW! I thought you were still looking for one set.Sometimes I can be such an i-d-i-o-t. :makepoint:

You are not an i-d-i-o-t. I bet Nick gave you a better deal on your first Crow set then I got on my first set. Haha.

They are pretty sweet looking books,but he has such great books I think these are his under copies.Still I think could get 9.4/9.6

Crow1_pic1.jpg

Caliberprnts1_fc.jpg

Caliberprnts1_bc.jpg

Well, William and I bid on the same Crow #3 (right around the time when he said he wasn't buying them anymore lol ), and it was pure luck and budget that I got to that book first.

It ended up being the first 9.8 in the census. :cloud9:

And you made poor Joy give you a partial refund because you didn't think the book was as described! lol

Thankfully you did win that book because remember that the other 3 I won ended up damaged.

And you made poor Joy give you a partial refund because you didn't think the book was as described! lol

Thankfully you did win that book because remember that the other 3 I won ended up damaged.

:gossip: Trust me - that slight corner bend from not being packed right took a pile of books to remove.

:(

I felt bad when you told me how the others arrived. I guess she learned about packing from those transactions.

Well, I decided to sell some of my CGC and raw Crow dupes/undercopies so I figure I would show off while I still can. I guess I could put this under the hoards topic but I think that you guys may be the only ones who would appreciate it!

I found out about the Crow when I was about 12. Tundra re-released it and I bought each issue off the shelves as they came out. I loved it so much that over the years I would always pick up the original Caliber issues whenever I came across them. I recall thinking it was cool that James O'Barr was also from Michigan.

I've actually already sold a few runs of the series and 4 copies of Caliber Presents 1 so this picture isn't exactly complete, but it's everything I have from Caliber that is Crow related at this time. Enjoy!

-William

DSC00498.jpg

I am humbled (worship)

:gossip: Trust me - that slight corner bend from not being packed right took a pile of books to remove.

(thumbs u

-William

[/img]

I am humbled (worship)

Thanks. It's now a shell of it's former self but still decent.

Lot's of Crow love here the past few weeks! :applause:

I'd try a group shot like that, but probably couldn't come close to that pile of O'Barr goodness.

I'd try a group shot like that, but probably couldn't come close to that pile of O'Barr goodness.

Uh... Nick? You been drinking tonight? Have you looked at your Crow collection lately? I bet you a Crow #3 9.8 that your Crow group shot would destroy that picture. No, I do not have a Crow 3 9.8. I don't need it for this bet. :makepoint:

I'm gonna show off, cause it's one of one...for now...reprint, schmeprint.

(For the record...I ALSO subbed a #3, but it failed pre-screen. The waviness is probably what did it in. I thought it was surefire at 9.8.)

053-1.jpg

Wish the outside of the inner well wasn't so scuzzy. Silly CGC. They should know better when encasing black books.