• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

O'Barr's "The Crow" love
7 7

2,755 posts in this topic

I saw both 9.8 Crow #1 SS copies. One was Michael and the other was a friend of mine on the boards here, not sure if they want it spilled or not. So both were done at WWChicago!

Thanks JJ for the confirmation. Assumed as much.

I told a few people and every kept asking me if they were your copies lol, was classic...

I saw both 9.8 Crow #1 SS copies. One was Michael and the other was a friend of mine on the boards here, not sure if they want it spilled or not. So both were done at WWChicago!

Thanks JJ for the confirmation. Assumed as much.

I told a few people and every kept asking me if they were your copies lol, was classic...

lol

No, those are very safely tucked away. Though... hm

Bosco685 got me thinking about how James O'Barr acted toward me and my near perfect Caliber Presents #1 at WWChicago on that last day when I was able to get him to sign my book. I guess inside I'm holding in my rage and I was a big fan of the Crow and of O'Barr til he did what he did. My life was as bad and at times pure :devil: where still I act bad from it on here from being like that till I got control of it this year. Well, I related to O'Barr and the Crow since it was printed, I read the book and watched the movie everyday before I left the house when I was younger. I knew everything about James and got what he was doing with all of his books. I talked to him at the con when I could and had my daughter tell him that her daddy even read this story to her which seemed to impress O'Barr that he had such a young fan. Well my daughter wanted to watch the movie but now I feel I can't do it and the book that O'Barr manhandled and flopped around in the air when I ask him to sign it will mean nothing to me when I get it back for CGC :( . I was the better man to just walk away and laugh as if what he did was an Andy Kaufman joke but it is killing me that any think I want care about turns so wrong all the time. I can even enjoy books I collect any more or anything I thought would bring me peace to my stress and anger I feel in my life.

Bosco685 got me thinking about how James O'Barr acted toward me and my near perfect Caliber Presents #1 at WWChicago on that last day when I was able to get him to sign my book. I guess inside I'm holding in my rage and I was a big fan of the Crow and of O'Barr til he did what he did. My life was as bad and at times pure :devil: where still I act bad from it on here from being like that till I got control of it this year. Well, I related to O'Barr and the Crow since it was printed, I read the book and watched the movie everyday before I left the house when I was younger. I knew everything about James and got what he was doing with all of his books. I talked to him at the con when I could and had my daughter tell him that her daddy even read this story to her which seemed to impress O'Barr that he had such a young fan. Well my daughter wanted to watch the movie but now I feel I can't do it and the book that O'Barr manhandled and flopped around in the air when I ask him to sign it will mean nothing to me when I get it back for CGC :( . I was the better man to just walk away and laugh as if what he did was an Andy Kaufman joke but it is killing me that any think I want care about turns so wrong all the time. I can even enjoy books I collect any more or anything I thought would bring me peace to my stress and anger I feel in my life.

No offense, but don't you think you're over-reacting just a tad here? It's just a comic book, you know.

Well it is like you own a Martin guitar and you are into this type of guitar because of the craft and quality of it. Now you get to meet the guy who made it to get it signed so you can prize it more and he brakes the string, bends the neck, and smacks your guitar on the table. Well he made the guitar but you bought and now own it so only you can do what you want done to it. So no one has the right to destroy your property. Would anyone on here like their property destroyed by the old owner?

I kept my cool at the con when it happened and just laughed as I walked away and I defended Mr. O'Barr when I was PMed about what happened by others on here by saying "James is James" or he is "anti-CGC" or that "the guy had a rough life". Well I have and had a rough life too like most people. I'm not a big wig on here or really care if what I collect is the "now" thing or worth alot or nothing. Most of it is indepentant odd-ball books that has good stories and that is it. Yeah it was just a book but it was a book I owned and had meaning to me because I could relate to the story and to the creator's feelings and use it to deal with and escape what is happen in my life. Isn't that why people read books, watch movie, or listen to music?

No offense, but don't you think you're over-reacting just a tad here? It's just a comic book, you know.

I don't know Mike, sounds like this is another case of a creator not living up to the admiration a fan has built up for him over years of fandom.

It's not the first time this has happened to a fan and the reaction you read above is pretty commonplace.

In the art collecting world, where I spend almost all of my time, I can attest that there is absolutely nothing more deflating, infuriating, and ultimately depressing than loving an artist or writer's work for years, even decades, and then meeting that creator and having him take the convention equivalent of a dump on you.

I know from personal experience that there are artists that I collected artwork from for a decade or more, and then after having met them in person or having them show me disrepect or finding out that they are the douchiest of people it just simply killed that creator's work for me.

It sounds like KelDog identified with O'Barr's work, like many of us have, and it really meant something to him and when O'Barr couldn't show his property and him personally some measure of respect that it really hurt him. I don't think that's an over reaction. Life's too short to idolize someone who doesn't deserve it, but that doesn't stop it from stinging and feeling like you wasted all those years of admiration and respect that could have gone to someone else worthy.

I don't know Mike, sounds like this is another case of a creator not living up to the admiration a fan has built up for him over years of fandom.

It's not the first time this has happened to a fan and the reaction you read above is pretty commonplace.

In the art collecting world, where I spend almost all of my time, I can attest that there is absolutely nothing more deflating, infuriating, and ultimately depressing than loving an artist or writer's work for years, even decades, and then meeting that creator and having him take the convention equivalent of a dump on you.

I know from personal experience that there are artists that I collected artwork from for a decade or more, and then after having met them in person or having them show me disrepect or finding out that they are the douchiest of people it just simply killed that creator's work for me.

It sounds like KelDog identified with O'Barr's work, like many of us have, and it really meant something to him and when O'Barr couldn't show his property and him personally some measure of respect that it really hurt him. I don't think that's an over reaction. Life's too short to idolize someone who doesn't deserve it, but that doesn't stop it from stinging and feeling like you wasted all those years of admiration and respect that could have gone to someone else worthy.

Sure - I get that; I've also met creators that I've admired for a long time who turned out to be douchebags in real life. But keldog first posted this:

That was what I did at the con but mine got manhandled by James as he made fun of Vigil's signature on the cover as he flopped my book in the SS witness's face. Well I think it went from 9.6 to 9.4 but what he saying was so funny that I couldn't stop laughing and he was doing thing that was straight Andy Kaufman :roflmao: and made me smile everyday when I walked by his table as he talk about life and other artists. I hope he is back next year.

Having a book go from a 9.6 to a 9.4 (whilst you yourself are laughing at the creator's crazy antics) just didn't seem to warrant this sort of "woe is me" post :shrug:

A couple of years ago I had a 1st print Bone #1 signed by Jeff Smith - I wasn't there, so Joel was handling the signature. He later told me that when Smith saw it was a 1st print, he got really excited, took it out of the bag, opened up the book and showed it off to the people next to him all the while talking about how long it had been since he'd seen an actual 1st print of this book. As much as I would have preferred for him to just sign the book and not in any way handle it with his bare hands, I didn't consider this a malicious act on behalf of Smith - he was just excited, that's all.

In my experience, most comic book creators (particularly the indie ones) have zero clue about CGC, think comic books are a "disposable" commodity similar to other books & magazines, and aren't aware that the value of comic books is tied directly to the condition of said books; heck, a lot of them don't even realize that comic books can be valuable at all. So expecting them to treat our books like the priceless artifacts they are just isn't realistic - it's up to you to ensure that your books are as protected as they can be.

Using taped-up signing bags is a must - I've only ever run into one person who actually took the tape off, pulled the book out and started flicking through it. And considering that person was Frank Cho - whose intense dislike of CGC is well-known - I have a sneaking suspicion he actually did it on purpose.

Agreed!

From what Keldog PM'd me, O'Barr saw Vigil's signature on the book he was about to sign, and supposedly proceeded to throw a fit. While cracking jokes about the signature, he then took the book and started waving it in the witness's face, which is where the bends to the book occurred. If you have a personal issue with a fellow creator, so be it. But to damage a fan's collectibles while making your point - not professional or respectful at all. I'm just hoping there was some confusion, and what was conveyed was a mistake.

And what made me shiver is this is the ONE TIME I gave the go-ahead for my last Caliber Presents 1 to be dual-signed by Vigil and O'Barr. This copy is an easy 9.6/9.8, which I have detailed photos of the front and back that both Chris/Comix4fun and Brad have seen, and Brad personally inspected the book before turning it over to JJ for signing. Brad's personal assessment is this book is an easy 9.8, as it is the sharpest copy I ever found. I just don't call anything higher than a 9.6/9.8 just to be safe.

We'll see what comes back. I'm hoping for the best. :wishluck:

I am really sorry for what happened. It doesn't make any sense, though. It certainly isn't the first copy of that book that he has signed with vigils sig on it. And he has even signed at least one (mine) on the front cover, which he never used to do. Very weird and disturbing.

I am really sorry for what happened. It doesn't make any sense, though. It certainly isn't the first copy of that book that he has signed with vigils sig on it. And he has even signed at least one (mine) on the front cover, which he never used to do. Very weird and disturbing.

Sorry to hear this as well about O`Barr,also this will be the one time I talk great about Rob Liefeld, I met him in person and he was a real nice guy about signing books. so I guess its Caveat Emptor when you get to meet these guys.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Agreed!

From what Keldog PM'd me, O'Barr saw Vigil's signature on the book he was about to sign, and supposedly proceeded to throw a fit. While cracking jokes about the signature, he then took the book and started waving it in the witness's face, which is where the bends to the book occurred. If you have a personal issue with a fellow creator, so be it. But to damage a fan's collectibles while making your point - not professional or respectful at all. I'm just hoping there was some confusion, and what was conveyed was a mistake.

That is disgusting if true. If that's the he acts (with someone Else's property) I may be better off not having him sign my CROW stuff. (especially with T.Vigils sig already on there) :P

Sorry to hear this as well about O`Barr,also this will be the one time I talk great about Rob Liefeld, I met him in person and he was a real nice guy about signing books. so I guess its Caveat Emptor when you get to meet these guys.

He's smooth as silk unless you want a NM 87 or 98 signed, then he wants you to grab a $20 print before he signs. Not a huge deal, but since those are the two books everyone wants signed by him it turns into a pricey proposition. Of course O'Barr has always been nice signing my books but I always pick up a sketch or a print when I see him.