• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone read "Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Comics Magazine" 12-issue series?

9 posts in this topic

No, and they gave up the title of the world's greatest comic magazine sometimes in the mid/late 60s. :baiting:

I would agree that there was a lull... but I definitely like some of the stories between 140 and 200.

Regarding the maxi-series... I could have gotten all 12 issues (in a nice shrinkwrapped bundle) for $10, but every review I read made me think otherwise... and finding out that Busiek was scripting doesn't make me feel any better about it.

I remember looking at it when it was on the stands, so I'm going with that impression and passing unless I can pick it up for $5 or $6.

(thumbs u

That makes the series very tempting, because there is some nice Kirby-homage art in it.

The main reason i picked it up - as a back issue run for around $10 shipped on ebay a few years back. The Kirbyesque art by a number of illustrators was enjoyable, and I don't recall the storyline as being particularly bad or good - but it was largely true to the Silver Age. I certainly didn't regret the purchase.

The best reimagining of the SA FF is Unstable Molecules by James Sturm & Guy Davis, though for those who haven't read it, be forewarned, it's not really a Fantastic Four comic in the sense you are familiar with.