• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R.I.P. Jose "Pepe" Gonzalez - the definitive Vampirella artist

8 posts in this topic

Since some of you guys don't make it up to Comics General, I thought I'd re-post this here:

I just heard from Joe Jusko that Jose "Pepe" Gonzalez, the definitive Vampirella artist from the 1970s and early 1980s, has passed away after slipping into a coma resulting from a prolonged illness that he never woke up from. :(

He was such a tremendous talent, one of the best of his era.

R.I.P., Pepe.

75853.jpg.b3180cbd9ed15e258178f44f6aa049ba.jpg

Here's a page from the last Vampirella story he did (issue #112) that showcases a variety of his drawing styles (ranging from slightly cartoony to almost photo-realistic). Love that all-pencil third panel.

75854.jpg.7b6b5f9053d3c7edc1c7acc5f1bf1279.jpg

I grew up reading his stories and loved his art. He was the most prolific artist for (Warren) Vampirella, and he passes away on the 40th anniversary of Vampirella. I have a few Warren Vampirella pieces but have yet to get something by Pepe. But I will eventually. I wished I had a chance to meeting him. He will be missed.

If you are a Gonzalez fan, run, don't walk, to this site:

http://profmendez.tripod.com/html/gonzalez.htm

Armando Mendez, who runs the site, just posted the best and most comprehensive biography and history of Gonzalez that I've ever seen, includings lots of pretty pictures and photos that I had never seen before. :cloud9: