• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine #173 Cover Art by David Finch!

11 posts in this topic

Wolverine #173 original cover art by David Finch

This is only the middle of the image(this is what would fit on my scanner), there is a little more art to the edges and borders are all solid black.

$4000.00 (Considerably cheaper than Finch charges for a cover of this quality). No paypal on this item. Shipping is free. Art is shrinkwrapped on solid foam board. Perfect condition.

241904886_o.jpg

Dale

With all due respect, this is not the published cover. Please compare the published comic book cover with the art or look up the credits in any comic database.

I believe David Newbold inked over a blueline copy of a scan of David Finch's pencils.

All the best.

N.

QuickStopComics originally sold this piece on ebay circa September 2006.

The following is a response from the seller to a specific question regarding the item.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Item: Wolverine #173 Original Cover Art Finch/Newbold Marvel (260026968653)

This piece features David Newbold's inks on a blue line print of David Finch's pencils that were used for the cover of Wolverine #173.' I'm not trying to mislead anyone on this amazing piece of artwork.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure the piece changed hands several times over the last few years so the details were not always clear. You can always contact David Newbold directly at his website.

Just trying to keep up with you Felix. :baiting:

A final point - While some artists do use blue pencil to draw (i.e., Van Sciver), David Finch does not. Finch uses regular black lead. If you look at the scan, you can see the blue tint.

btw - Dale has a solid reputation in the comics industry. This is just an instance where more experienced OA collectors follow this market segment more closely.

Cheers!

N

Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully I will be able to get my money back on this piece. I am really surprised. I have known the guy for a long time, not done much business with him, but have seen him at shows for years. Anyway, lesson learned....

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...