• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculation time - most expensive 1990s books FIVE YEARS from now??

93 posts in this topic

Maybe with the proper "promotion" about its significance, one may see $15 - $20 sales on the book more consistently?

The significance of Hulk #8? Ummm...

It's the first Wolvie vs Hulk cover in the third volume of Hulk comics!

...and it's only 25 years after Wolvie was introduced in Hulk comics...

Wow, that's freakin' amazing! Where do I plop down my $20?

** sarcasm off **

Maybe with the proper "promotion" about its significance, one may see $15 - $20 sales on the book more consistently?

The significance of Hulk #8? Ummm...

It's the first Wolvie vs Hulk cover in the third volume of Hulk comics!

...and it's only 25 years after Wolvie was introduced in Hulk comics...

Wow, that's freakin' amazing! Where do I plop down my $20?

** sarcasm off **

I wouldn't mock, VALIANT BOY 27_laughing.gif - exactly how many Hulk vs Wolverine covers have there been since Hulk 181?

MCP's don't count as real comics JC 893naughty-thumb.gif - I would treat those like Marvel Fanfares... that Wolverine 8 tho is one that escaped me...

And what of the Hulk/Wolvies in the Hulk books?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Your theory isn't fit to change Greggy's man-diapers, Darth!

MCP's don't count as real comics JC 893naughty-thumb.gif - I would treat those like Marvel Fanfares... that Wolverine 8 tho is one that escaped me...

And what of the Hulk/Wolvies in the Hulk books?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Your theory isn't fit to change Greggy's man-diapers, Darth!

Aren't we talking strictly about 90's books here? Hulk 340 don't count...besides - any hulk vs wolvie covers between 181 and 340, and how about after that in the Hulk title? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm not saying Hulk 8 vol 3 is significant for any other reason than it is a Hulk/Wolvie battle cover confused-smiley-013.gif that has had some success selling raw for over cover in the past and may enjoy a higher premium in the future...it certainly has room to grow. Seems this suggestion has gotten several soiled panties in a bunch...sheesh...

Other books/suggestions:

Witchblade 1/2 FAN edition - I wouldn't call this a variant only because it was the only 1/2 issue version at the time. Top Cow later reprinted the story with a new cover and this FAN story is different from the Witchblade 1/2 Wizard edition. It'll enjoy a premium as long as Top Cow keeps producing Witchblade.

Witchblade vs Darkness Credit Card exclusive is another book that would fit this bill.

for more answers, go check Wizard's price guide and see what they break out...have fun insane.gif

Other books/suggestions:

Witchblade 1/2 FAN edition - I wouldn't call this a variant only because it was the only 1/2 issue version at the time. Top Cow later reprinted the story with a new cover and this FAN story is different from the Witchblade 1/2 Wizard edition. It'll enjoy a premium as long as Top Cow keeps producing Witchblade.

Witchblade vs Darkness Credit Card exclusive is another book that would fit this bill.

for more answers, go check Wizard's price guide and see what they break out...have fun insane.gif

sleeping.gif

you know i think i undersetimated the punisher kills the marvel universe (1st) thats a pretty impressive standing for a 8 year old book (in the weird "mid" time after its hot, and before age becomes a factor. Considering the only recent ebay sale was over $30 i think this book has some potential!

Yeah, the price is holding steady.. there was actually another eBay sale around $40 or something that I saw.. may on longer be in the database, however. Nice thing about that book is it's the only quality punisher book with an even marginally low print run.

Wonder if we'll see a run up on Punny #100, #104 some day? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Those two are late run "scarce" punishers, 104 being the last issue, 100 being the landmark with the special cover. The quality of the art/story may be a little suspect, though.

But hey, I doubt GI Joe 155 is really that great a story... so why not Punny 104? There might be some completists for that title in time now that Punny has warmed up again. One would definitely have a tougher time finding 104 than #1, that's for sure.

you know i think i undersetimated the punisher kills the marvel universe (1st) thats a pretty impressive standing for a 8 year old book (in the weird "mid" time after its hot, and before age becomes a factor. Considering the only recent ebay sale was over $30 i think this book has some potential!

I never understood, especially considering the publishing date, why this book was so scarce. Why choose this book, out of all the absolute compostable_fertilizer they were publishing at the time, to make a low print run??

I'm not saying Hulk 8 vol 3 is significant for any other reason than it is a Hulk/Wolvie battle cover confused-smiley-013.gif that has had some success selling raw for over cover in the past and may enjoy a higher premium in the future...it certainly has room to grow. Seems this suggestion has gotten several soiled panties in a bunch...sheesh...

My comments are mostly frustrations from my sportscard collecting days.

Someone like Michael Jordan will have a rookie card for $1,000...

a 2nd year card for $200...

a 3rd year card for $75...

a 4th year card for $25...

and some piece of c-rap "limited edition" hologram chase card from his 12th year for $800.

Anytime there's a lot of "value" placed on something we've seen time and again,

I just don't understand the intrigue.

Whether it's Hulk 8 Vol 3, Ultimate Spider-man aka Amazing Spiderman Volume 12,

or the "first appearance of Buttboy in the Vanadium Age"... I just... 893frustrated.gif

It's no surprise that the print run is low by marvel standards... it's a 1995(?) book. The retail comic slump was well and truly on. Plus the Punisher was the most overexposed character in the Marvel Universe. You couldn't have paid most people to take a chance and read another Punisher one shot. Most of them were pure garbage.

Ennis wasn't really a big name yet and it was a prestige format book.

So, it's 1995, you're a retailer. You've ordered thousands and thousands of dollars worth of Punisher junk (and I do mean JUNK) in the past. How many copies are you going to order of a prestige format and therefore expensive book of a character whose popularity is at an all time low?? You're probably just worried about making the rent. (Remember, this is right around the time that a drastic number of stores went belly up. ).

Those late 90s books do have a chance to be somewhat collectible if the demand ever materializes. It's the only period in recent memory where the retailers didn't buy stacks of overstock.

Dan

Exactly... he wasn't a big name yet. Nobody except people actually subscribing to the Darkness could have told you who the hell Garth Ennis was.

Besides, this 1995 or so period is really before writers got their props. In the early 90s it was ALL about the artist (maybe because no one was actually READING those craptactular, speculator-driven marvels? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif ).

The mid to late 90s period was a refocus on quality writing. Only then did the writers really start to get noticed again.

The point is, in 1995, no one was going to buy a book just because ennis was writing it.