• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculation time - most expensive 1990s books FIVE YEARS from now??

93 posts in this topic

i remember he had a slight buzz when he took over hellblazer, but it didn't really blow up for him until about preacher #4 or 5, I think that is one of the events that led to the solidification of the writer as a "hot" commodity phenom we have now. I mean of course moore & gaiman & miller came first, but it seems that it was right around when preacher took off that the writer started to eclipse the artist.

Ok... going way out on a limb here... but in five years time... with the retreads of old marvel characters progressing, and the movie hype still in play.... and the odds that this guy gets a job doing comics again... i am gonna go with

moon knight #55

first s.platt

lots of variables but if he does some more work on big comics i think in five years this book could be a nice one to have. also, if iron fist is getting a movie, why not moon knight? it could happen. at the very least he could get a new title in the future. that is my "dark horse" guess.

I've always pictured Moon Knight as more of a TV series than a movie. I could see it late night on USA or SciFi. Movies are so short that you can't really get all the background info and a good story. Most people have never heard of Moon Knight, so they will need to do the origin to some extent, and those generally aren't great flix. The biggest comics movies thus far have been Batman, Superman, Xmen, and Spiderman : EVERYONE knows those guys at least to some extent, so they didn;t have to do so much background storytelling to build the characters (although Spidey did a great job of it) They were able to jump right into the action and add bits of background as they went along. I think that is why all these other comic movies can do okay, but won't explode like those four did.

Nice cover, but I have to give the nod to Hulk #340 in a head to head face off.

Yeah, that Hulk 8 cover just screams "crapola Modern". 27_laughing.gif

Now, I didn't say it was crapola. I just said I would prefer #340. I think McFarlane's art is better. That is all.

To me investing in modern comics (1990s- on) is a fools game. I buy the new stuff to read and enjoy only. Not to collect. Not saying that there isn't money to be made on modern books, but to me it is too risky and volatile. Also, I don't want to put in the time required to watch market trends and what not. I figure most people investing in modern comics will end up with a bunch of [!@#%^&^] that nobody will ever want to go along with mulitples of a few select issues that will be valuable.

Does anyone remember anyone saying something like that for Bronze Age comics?

Not saying your wrong, but history does have a tendency to repeat itself, no?

No, kids still collected comics back then, and the market and demographics are like night and day compared to then. Also factor in the number of copies kept in pristine shape, the 90's speculator fiasco, the current "adults only" marketing, and it's not even close.

History repeats itself, assuming there is anything similar to repeat.

Now if you're talking about the 1980's (up to Dark Knight Returns) then I'd agree there is some potential with these. Kids were still picking up books and actually using them for their intended purpose, and (gasp) reading them. 893whatthe.gif

If you can accept 80s comics as having some potential (which would have gotten you laughed out of town 10 years ago...or even last week on these boards!) then you have to allow for a point down the road when late 90s underordered and printed books will see more demand than supply. Time marches on and perspectives change... Iev had many dealers swear theyd never deal in those crappy Bronze books cause they were too new and worthless (and this was in the late 80s and 90s...)

If you can accept 80s comics as having some potential (which would have gotten you laughed out of town 10 years ago...or even last week on these boards!) then you have to allow for a point down the road when late 90s underordered and printed books will see more demand than supply. Time marches on and perspectives change... Iev had many dealers swear theyd never deal in those crappy Bronze books cause they were too new and worthless (and this was in the late 80s and 90s...)

I'd agree with late 90s books. If the comics market is still viable in a decade or two then these will be sought after. Late 80s/early 90s (pre-crash) on the otherhand are a different animal altogether. These were sold in such massive numbers that demand will never exceed supply IMO.

Jim

All I am saying is if you want to invest in 1990+ modern comics I wouldn't spend the money to have them CGC'd. If you want to invest, get some HG raw copies and store them away. In 10-20 years if they have gone up in value significantly and CGC is still around then by all means get them graded if you want to sell. If you buy a CGC book now for investment keep in mind CGC recommends that you have the comic re-slabbed every 7 years to change the micro-chamber paper which absorbs all the moisture and impurities and keeps your comic from aging (about $25 a pop including shipping both ways to CGC). So that 1990s + investment comic that you are spending all this money to have slabbed and re-slabbed better be valued in the hundreds of dollars or to me it just isn't worth the money to slab in the first place. In about 3 years a lot of people are going to have to decide whether or not they are going to have their old CGC'd comics re-slabbed or not. I expect there might be a lot of people selling at that time because they don't want to pay the money to have their modern comics re-slabbed when they are only worth less than $10 raw. Some bidders of CGC comics 7+ years might place their bids deducting the cost of re-slabbing fees at that time. I could be very wrong, but thought I would put that out there.

No, kids still collected comics back then, and the market and demographics are like night and day compared to then. Also factor in the number of copies kept in pristine shape, the 90's speculator fiasco, the current "adults only" marketing, and it's not even close.

Now if you're talking about the 1980's (up to Dark Knight Returns) then I'd agree there is some potential with these. Kids were still picking up books and actually using them for their intended purpose, and (gasp) reading them. 893whatthe.gif

Yeah, when I was collecting in the early 80's, I was actually buying everything to read (oh the horror!! shocked.gif), so the majority of my collection is probably in the F/VF range. I took good care of them, but they were taken in and out of the bags, and read a few times, so there are are bumped corners, spine stresses, etc. I could see myself when the hobby changed, in the mid to late 80's, when I, like all my friends, were buying books and never taking them out of the bags to even read once. I would suspect it's been like that for the majority of collectors since then.

Yeah, when I was collecting in the early 80's, I was actually buying everything to read (oh the horror!! shocked.gif), so the majority of my collection is probably in the F/VF range. I took good care of them, but they were taken in and out of the bags, and read a few times, so there are are bumped corners, spine stresses, etc. I could see myself when the hobby changed, in the mid to late 80's, when I, like all my friends, were buying books and never taking them out of the bags to even read once. I would suspect it's been like that for the majority of collectors since then.

I was the same way. I actually read and handled all my comic books while still trying to keep them in store bought shape. I remember expertly cutting a piece of invisible tape to just the precise length and width to repair a tear on the inside front cover of my X-men #169 that I stupidly took to school and carelessly let some of my classmates look at. I believe that is the issue where Angel is being held captive by the morlocks. It is a very dark cover where creases, spine dings, and (gasp) tears show up easily. I believe the Angel is bound to a wall or a big X or something in a dark room or subway tunnel.

I remember that issue. The butch chick with the eyepatch wanted him for her husband, right? I wonder why he wasn't flattered by that...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Me too. She has something other women don't. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif A 4th orifice to explore. 893whatthe.gif You know what they say, once you have used a well lubed empty eye socket you will never want a woman without one. 893naughty-thumb.gif

stooges.gif

I remember that issue. The butch chick with the eyepatch wanted him for her husband, right? I wonder why he wasn't flattered by that...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Me too. She has something other women don't. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif A 4th orifice to explore. 893whatthe.gif You know what they say, once you have used a well lubed empty eye socket you will never want a woman without one. 893naughty-thumb.gif

stooges.gif

Nothing beats a good skull----, huh?....... devil.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

stooges.gif

Nothing beats a good skull----, huh?....... devil.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, it definitely wasn't her looks that was gonna keep a man.

Moving on. I am not sure if this issue was pre or post Ororo going punk. That has to be one of the stupidest moves Marvel ever made. They took a perfectly fine looking character like Storm and turned her into a butch looking punker. After she went punk I was a little concerned about her relationship with Kitty. Actually, if I remember right Storm took on the eyepatch lady in hand to hand combat and became leader of the morlocks after she won.