• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Weight lifting #s

192 posts in this topic

I have a case where the guy claiming he was injured says he (5' 10", 210 pounds) used to bench 455 and now can only bench 135, used to be able to sitting shoulder press 315.

For those of you who are big into lifting, where in the pantheon of freakishness is a 210 pounder benching 455? I'm assuming the guy (who was previously incarcerated) didn't have access to steroids, HGH, etc....Is this something you might see from an NFL player? Is that ratio not big enough for me to describe him as a "near olympic" calibre weight lifter) (I see the bench record is now over 1000 pounds...maybe that would be pushing it)... without getting into a lot of details here I'm looking at a way to describe to the judge (to whom these numbers likely mean nothing) just how frigging strong this guy claimed to be at the time (to undercut his claim about how the injury occurred) and perhaps a source to cite to.

lol

I just find it funny that a weight lifting question is being asked by someone with the screen name of "the blob"

lol

Only thing I can offer is to PM Jespersen. He reps Doug mahnke and Mahnke is a competition powerlifter. You may want to see if the powerlifters have a chat board of their own. Imagine the flame wars on a powerlifting board . . . :cloud9:

5 plates is 495 lbs. Not easy, but not impossible by any stretch.

How bout 1010 lbs (and even that is outdated):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlDWdfTAx8o&feature=related

455lbs is doing 4 plates per side + 22.5 per side.

This guy doesn't seem all that much bigger than the size of the individual you are

claiming. He is lifting four plates with ease here.

Only thing I can offer is to PM Jespersen. He reps Doug mahnke and Mahnke is a competition powerlifter. You may want to see if the powerlifters have a chat board of their own. Imagine the flame wars on a powerlifting board . . . :cloud9:

Their hands are too big to type coherently.

They just mash the kybds!

:insane:

I can buy someone easily pushing up 455 pounds, but someone who's only 210 pounds? Linebackers in the NFL are around 250. I'm just not sure you can get strong enough to handle 455 without building enough muscle to make you weigh more than 210.

I can buy someone easily pushing up 455 pounds, but someone who's only 210 pounds? Linebackers in the NFL are around 250. I'm just not sure you can get strong enough to handle 455 without building enough muscle to make you weigh more than 210.

I don't know if there is a linear body mass/lifting capability scale, but I was able to do 295 pretty easily when I was about 180lbs as a youngster.

Back in the day (High School) when I was working out every day. I weighed in at 165 and I could bench 285. There were other guys on the football team who weighed in at 200 and benched well over 350. This was in High School which is far from the peak of male physical age.

So it's possible to bench up to near double your weight or beyond it if you train constantly.

C

Sheesh! When I was a young artillery lieutenant, I cam in at about 185lbs (I'm between 5'8 and 5'9) and was benching between 250-285 lbs (more in winter, less during running season). Can't IMAGINE 400+!!!

lol

I just find it funny that a weight lifting question is being asked by someone with the screen name of "the blob"

lol

yeah, that's what happens when guys who used to lift weights become lawyers and sit at their desks all day for a decade and a half..

i know 210 lifting 455 is not crazy...I got up 315 when I weighed about 185 in high school (I was a shotput and discus hurler), then again, getting that extra 150 up can be tough because I knew some big guys around my height that looked 2X as muscular as me getting stuck in the 360-380 range. it also helps to have really short arms (I knew a dude who was about 5 ' 3", had stubby arms, weighed maybe 160-170 pounds who was pushing like 380)

Sheesh! When I was a young artillery lieutenant, I cam in at about 185lbs (I'm between 5'8 and 5'9) and was benching between 250-285 lbs (more in winter, less during running season). Can't IMAGINE 400+!!!

Like I said, the guy was in prison. While I don't think he had access to the juice, he had nothing to do but lift weights. That's what most of these guys spend their days doing. It's a good thing the taxpayers can subsidize creating bigger and badder criminals. Luckily some of the corrections officers look like NFL offensive linemen.

I don't know if there is a linear body mass/lifting capability scale, but I was able to do 295 pretty easily when I was about 180lbs as a youngster.

(thumbs u

check out any collegiate football program, you'll routinely find guys in the low 200lb weight range that can throw up over 300lbs with little effort.

anyway, the point of all this is that he's basically claiming that another guy (also about 200 pounds, but not a weight lifter) was able to choke him for 5 straight minutes and slam him into the ground, etc. causing all these injuries, dropping his bench press by 320 pounds. i say B-S the other guy could hold on to this monster for 5 minutes like that.

anyway, the point of all this is that he's basically claiming that another guy (also about 200 pounds, but not a weight lifter) was able to choke him for 5 straight minutes and slam him into the ground, etc. causing all these injuries, dropping his bench press by 320 pounds. i say B-S the other guy could hold on to this monster for 5 minutes like that.

Not unless the other guy could bench 460. :P

I've seen smaller people take out some much larger people than their own size. You have to understand, different ethnicities have different bone structure and impact (trust me on this one, I've fought many, many matches). That being said, however, I don't see how kicking someone else's $$$, could cause that kind of damage. You'd likely need some kind of professional opinion from a trauma expert or something to verify though.

Spinal injury can do some major damage.