• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL - What would happen if CGC stopped slabbing comics?

What would happen if CGC ever stopped slabbing comics?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. What would happen if CGC ever stopped slabbing comics?

82 posts in this topic

You'd have a bunch of very exprienced employees out of work and someone would start a new company with an already experienced core.

And who would put up the up-front capital needed to start up correctly? I'm not sure there would be alot of takers in the current environment especially considering the claims by Borock and others that the company isn't a particularly lucrative business...

Jim

Plus the fact a lot of the best books in the world (with the most profit margin for a company) have already been slabbed. There is less incentive to start a new company than there was for CGC to first start up operations.

Look, we all hope CGC never goes away, but I sometimes wonder what would happen to the value of my slabs if they stopped slabbing.

Not likely dude. It's a pretty big world out there.

You'd have a bunch of very exprienced employees out of work and someone would start a new company with an already experienced core.

And who would put up the up-front capital needed to start up correctly? I'm not sure there would be alot of takers in the current environment especially considering the claims by Borock and others that the company isn't a particularly lucrative business...

Jim

Plus the fact a lot of the best books in the world (with the most profit margin for a company) have already been slabbed. There is less incentive to start a new company than there was for CGC to first start up operations.

Look, we all hope CGC never goes away, but I sometimes wonder what would happen to the value of my slabs if they stopped slabbing.

There's all those 2000AD's for starters.

Jim

There's all those 2000AD's for starters.

Captain Britain.

I believe if the company folded, some former CGC graders would be receiving calls from Beaverton, Oregon for potential empoyment opportunities...

The "other company who will remain unnamed" would have the opportunity to become the pre-eminent grading company, even boasting in their advertisements that they have former CGC graders hm

What you could see is auction sites (Comiclink, Connect, etc.) certifying a grade for a comic they have listed...

Jim

Interesting... and probably right. They might even publish some standards... ok, maybe not.

All those raw NM/MT modern books would once again become bin fodder. 2c

Or maybe the prices go much higher because there will not be any more 9.8's added to the census hm

Doubtful...the CGC shine would lose it lustre over time. And you'd have people increasingly talking about the supposed "7-year rule" when you should have a comic reslabbed...

Jim

unfortunately slab damage/SCS does happen. :( i sent in a TOS 49 CGC 7.5 to be reholdered during the WC, and later i rec'd a call from CGC, stating that they couldn't reholder it in the same grade do to SCS. :sorry: we are currently working things out and a settlement is in the works. :wishluck:

I believe if the company folded, some former CGC graders would be receiving calls from Beaverton, Oregon for potential empoyment opportunities...

The "other company who will remain unnamed" would have the opportunity to become the pre-eminent grading company, even boasting in their advertisements that they have former CGC graders hm

i highly doubt this scenario would happen, because it's not stopping PGX now.

I believe life would still go on if they folded :o

Imagine that.

As long as they keep these boards rolling then everything will be OK (for the world). I'd hate to think what kind of trouble all of us released into the world at the same time might cause.

Or maybe the prices go much higher because there will not be any more 9.8's added to the census hm

Doubtful...the CGC shine would lose it lustre over time. And you'd have people increasingly talking about the supposed "7-year rule" when you should have a comic reslabbed...

Jim

unfortunately slab damage/SCS does happen. :( i sent in a TOS 49 CGC 7.5 to be reholdered during the WC, and later i rec'd a call from CGC, stating that they couldn't reholder it in the same grade do to SCS. :sorry: we are currently working things out and a settlement is in the works. :wishluck:

SCS does NOT happen a lot more times than it actually does happen.

(thumbs u

There is no such thing as a perfect slab but Borock always said CGC was happy to pay someone if they could come up with an improvement.

Jim

Couldn't it be pressed out?

That bad huh? :eek:

SCS does NOT happen a lot more times than it actually does happen.

Based on the slabs I've received, it happens alot more than anyone wants to admit...

Jim

Isolated incident

IFSCSA.jpg

meh

meh