• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who buys slabs just for assurance of the grade, then cracks it open?

99 posts in this topic

Who buys slabs just for assurance of the grade, then cracks it open?

Me! :takeit:

But I don't collect the uber-grade stuff. :shy:

Yeah, I really don't plan on selling them anytime in the remotely near future, and I do keep the tags. You just can't beat a book in mylar that you can take out veeery carefully and look at, IMO.

My hero.

Yeah, I really don't plan on selling them anytime in the remotely near future, and I do keep the tags. You just can't beat a book in mylar that you can take out veeery carefully and look at, IMO.

I do it with GA.....especially if the price is right and it's mid grade. If it's 8.5 or higher, I just look for a reader.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That's cool as long as you never plan on selling your collection. Have fun being burried with them!

:insane:

You may never have intentions on selling your collection, but its inevitable. As a result, I think it's a bad idea to take them out of the slab, as that only decreases the potential value of the book--as well as increase costs if you need to reslab to resell to recoup...as I doubt not too many will pay the slab price for a raw book.

Since slabs are usually meant for high grade...if you really must read it...buy a reader. I understand why some crack as it makes their collection "uniform"...but they are making a fiscal decision in doing so.

That's cool as long as you never plan on selling your collection. Have fun being burried with them!

You may never have intentions on selling your collection, but its inevitable. As a result, I think it's a bad idea to take them out of the slab, as that only decreases the potential value of the book--as well as increase costs if you need to reslab to resell to recoup...as I doubt not too many will pay the slab price for a raw book.

Depends on which end of the financial spectrum you're at....is this a hobby or is this part of your livelihood?

Depends on which end of the financial spectrum you're at....is this a hobby or is this part of your livelihood?

You can de-slab, not be a dealer, and your equity in your books (value purchased vs. value when sold) will decrease when the deed is done. It's a fact, jack. Has nothing to do with your financial position...when you deslab, your stock goes down. You WILL sell one day, as surely as one day you will stop breathing. It may be part of your estate, or by others whom you have willed the books to...but it will happen.

So my point is...the I won't sell argument doesn't change the fact of the decrease of the asset you have purchased will occur, and costs will be incurred when you sell should you decide to re-certify the book. That's not counting the fact that the grade you receive may be different, creating further disparity in value.

You can de-slab, not be a dealer, and still a negative equity when the deed is done. It's a fact, jack.

Good point.

- Brannon

You can de-slab, not be a dealer, and your equity in your books (value purchased vs. value when sold) will decrease when the deed is done. It's a fact, jack. Has nothing to do with your financial position...when you deslab, your stock goes down. You WILL sell one day, as surely as you will stop breathing. It may be part of your estate, or by others whom you have willed the books to...but it will happen.

So my point is...the I won't sell argument doesn't change the fact of the decrease of the asset you have purchased will occur, and costs will be incurred when you sell should you decide to re-certify the book. That's not counting the fact that the grade you receive may be different, creating further disparity in value.

So what you're saying is that it's not worth it for you to do it because you don't place a value on such things as smelling and touching your books but that doesn't mean it's a negative thing to do.

For others it's simply another cost to factor into the hobby, that's all.