• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who buys slabs just for assurance of the grade, then cracks it open?

99 posts in this topic

Thanks, buddy. The Bat 15 went for less than half guide due to the cover cleaning and it actually looks nicer than a 7.5 outside the slab.It's nice to be able to take a 70 year old book out of the mylar that has the same slick suppleness it had years ago. I've got a buddy who owns a comic shop who's interested in it....but I'm not ready to let it go yet. He's like me and doesn't mind cover cleaning and stuff like staple replacement and tear seals.....especially if it gives you a serious price break.That's what I like about restored GA....they're more solid than newer books and can stand up to handling....plus when I've had to sell one I've always gotten what I paid or slightly more, even deslabbed....but I do keep the label and try to disclose. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Got a question for the deslabbers (is that a word??lol!). Once taken out of the slab do you report it to CGC to take off the census report?

The only way to take a book off the census is to hand the label back in to CGC.

If it's a keeper book then the label stays with the book.

If it's a resubmit then the label goes back to CGC to have it removed off the census.

I figure that keeping the label with the keeper book is akin to sending the label in if the book get's resubbed...the book/label does not get lost in the sea so to speak.

If a keeper ever gets resubbed I would send in the label.

R.

I have no issue with anyone who wants to crack or not crack their books. They paid for it, it's their business. However, cracking out a 9.6 GA book seems a little loopy to me. Whatever, different strokes and all that.

However, for those of you who pay a slab premium for high grade books and then still crack them out to read, why aren't you just going for a lower grade raw copy? Why pay more for the slabbed copy? You can read a raw 3.0 just as well as a slabbed 9.x

Not quite the same thing in my experience.

Reading a 7.5 or 8.0*, that you can imagine as just removed from a period collection, is far more fun than reading a 3.0 that looks far older than its 30 or 40 years. Such a distinction may not matter to many, but I do believe it to be more than a subtlety.

(*Perhaps not a rarer 9.2 where a small added crease might make a significant value difference.)

You said

Reading a 7.5 or 8.0*, that you can imagine as just removed from a period collection, is far more fun than reading a 3.0 that looks far older than its 30 or 40 years. Such a distinction may not matter to many, but I do believe it to be more than a subtlety.

I'm not going to argue with you about your preferences, but the idea that reading a 7.5/8.0 copy of a book is more fun than reading a 3.0 copy is more than a little nutty to me. Just my 2c

I fully understand the desire to own a higher grade copy. Let's face it, if money were not an issue, we'd ALL be high grade collectors. However, when it comes to actually reading it, what does the grade matter as long as its complete?

I'm not going to argue with you about your preferences, but the idea that reading a 7.5/8.0 copy of a book is more fun than reading a 3.0 copy is more than a little nutty to me. Just my 2c

I fully understand the desire to own a higher grade copy. Let's face it, if money were not an issue, we'd ALL be high grade collectors. However, when it comes to actually reading it, what does the grade matter as long as its complete?

J, I personally can not stand holding a ratty copy of a book. It has to feel solid, supple, be bright and glossy. Honestly it's been that way since I was a little tike. Don't know why but I just can't enjoy reading a VG or less copy of a book.

R.

J, I personally can not stand holding a ratty copy of a book. It has to feel solid, supple, be bright and glossy. Honestly it's been that way since I was a little tike. Don't know why but I just can't enjoy reading a VG or less copy of a book.

R.

I'm the same as Roy. I've been collecting HG since I was 11, and my goal was always to get the best copy possible. Back then there weren't as many HG collectors, and the multiples of guide for HG did, for the most part, not exist.

Since I started down the true collector road in 1972...., this strategy has paid dividends.

Got a question for the deslabbers (is that a word??lol!). Once taken out of the slab do you report it to CGC to take off the census report?

I do not report to CGC.

Not sure I even have access to 'the census report', as I've never looked at it.

I put the label behind the backboard, and keep it with the book for future reference.

I'm with Roy.

I'm with peewee22.

I'm with these two.

I thought I felt something....., :eek:

I have no issue with anyone who wants to crack or not crack their books. They paid for it, it's their business. However, cracking out a 9.6 GA book seems a little loopy to me. Whatever, different strokes and all that.

However, for those of you who pay a slab premium for high grade books and then still crack them out to read, why aren't you just going for a lower grade raw copy? Why pay more for the slabbed copy? You can read a raw 3.0 just as well as a slabbed 9.x

Not quite the same thing in my experience.

(*Perhaps not a rarer 9.2 where a small added crease might make a significant value difference.)

You said

I am a reader of comics and an appreciator of a near newstand quality comics. Since I have no problem preserving the current state of a sharp copy while reading it, I see no reason to own a 3.0 reader copy. The money and time spent chasing the 3.0 copy is better spent on finding books I really like.

I have purchased many 9.8s, broke them open to be signed (well, Chandler opened them) and reslabbed as SS. I've never had a 9.8 that I've done this with come back a lower grade, and even had one come back a 9.9. (That was sweet.)

I have purchased many 9.8s, broke them open to be signed (well, Chandler opened them) and reslabbed as SS. I've never had a 9.8 that I've done this with come back a lower grade, and even had one come back a 9.9. (That was sweet.)

Just a fair warning? I do crack my books but they can and have come back in lower grades.

(thumbs u