• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it wise to flood the market by putting Registry Sets In Comiclink Auctions?

20 posts in this topic

I see Registry Sets being sold sometime in Comiclink monthly auctions.

This month there happens to be a PLANET COMICS set there, and perhaps others I did not see.

I was wondering about the wisdom of "flooding the market" with a registry set.

Sure, advertising it as a set gains some publicity for the books.

But most buyers also have a limited amount of money they spend on comics each month (even big buyers)

So when you flood the market, I would think you would get lower prices as a seller, as opposed to selling maybe 1/4 of the collection at a time, with a break of a couple months between each 1/4 being sold.

By comparison, I think that Crippen collection has been sold off over a number of years over at Heritage.

Opinions?

I see Registry Sets being sold sometime in Comiclink monthly auctions.

This month there happens to be a PLANET COMICS set there, and perhaps others I did not see.

I was wondering about the wisdom of "flooding the market" with a registry set.

Sure, advertising it as a set gains some publicity for the books.

But most buyers also have a limited amount of money they spend on comics each month (even big buyers)

So when you flood the market, I would think you would get lower prices as a seller, as opposed to selling maybe 1/4 of the collection at a time, with a break of a couple months between each 1/4 being sold.

By comparison, I think that Crippen collection has been sold off over a number of years over at Heritage.

Opinions?

The Planet run is 72 books. And that particular run is not complete. I have a hard time calling that "flooding the market". By contrast, the Crippen collection is 11,000 books. Over a two year period that would be the equivalent of auctioning 15 books a day. It hasn't seemed to hurt the market.

Interesting topic! I'm not sure if I would do that if I decided to sell my books. I did tell my wife that if I was to die to take them all to comiclink and get a reciept for them all.

How does selling a Registry set "flood the market"? There's no dupes in a registry set...are there? ????

It's not a matter of dupes, it's a matter of perhaps some people offering too much at once.

I am not saying this particular Registry Set of Planet Comics would qualify.

But for example, if a person owned a Registry Set of 100 books with a value in excess of $100,000 in total, then perhaps the seller might get higher prices if they sold off the collection in stages.

Because when you put them all up for auction at once, the buyers intrerested in that title only have so much money to spend on that title in any given month.

Spreading out the sales allows more buyers to participate in the bidding, because they are not limited to their "comic budget" for that single given month

How does selling a Registry set "flood the market"? There's no dupes in a registry set...are there? ????

It's not a matter of dupes, it's a matter of perhaps some people offering too much at once.

But for example, if a person owned a Registry Set of 100 books with a value in excess of $100,000 in total, then perhaps the seller might get higher prices if they sold off the collection in stages.

Because when you put them all up for auction at once, the buyers intrerested in that title only have so much money to spend on that title in any given month.

Spreading out the sales allows more buyers to participate in the bidding, because they are not limited to their "comic budget" for that single given month

Ive sold off both my #3 Green Lantern set and my #2 Detective 401-500 set and achieved nice prices for both sets.

I think the quality matters far more than the quantity.

Ive sold off both my #3 Green Lantern set and my #2 Detective 401-500 set and achieved nice prices for both sets.

I think the quality matters far more than the quantity.

I thought of this as soon as I saw the title. I watched the C-Link auction with Arex's Tec's. The books all seemed to do very well, and wouldnt say offered too much at once.

i think people are focusing on his wording 'flooding the market' instead of what i believe is his intended point...

ie, if there are only 10 people out there who have big interest in a 100 book set....what's the point of dropping the entire set of 100 books at once? the longer you release them to the market, the more these ten individuals can outbid each other and so forth....if you release all 100 books at once, then these ten people might only have enough $$$$ on hand to take a shot at a limited amount of the books....

this logic makes sense for sets with a narrow market.

I see what you are saying Phigam but I think that would be more relevent to lets say a person dropping 50 Af 15's at the same time since they are the same book. At that point I agree since even as a seller you would want to do it over time to maximize your money and not flood them in. I just don't see that as much with individual books even if they are part of a set.

i think people are focusing on his wording 'flooding the market' instead of what i believe is his intended point...

ie, if there are only 10 people out there who have big interest in a 100 book set....what's the point of dropping the entire set of 100 books at once? the longer you release them to the market, the more these ten individuals can outbid each other and so forth....if you release all 100 books at once, then these ten people might only have enough $$$$ on hand to take a shot at a limited amount of the books....

this logic makes sense for sets with a narrow market.

what he said

thanks for clarifying my original point

Not if it's the #5 ASM 1-200 Registry Set! :baiting::makepoint:

(Approx. $240K realized for the seller...)

Maybe he would have gotten more if he sold them off over the course of an entire year. :baiting: It's impossible to know.

It's impossible to know.

But it doesn't stop us from asking the question.

It's impossible to know.

true

also, it makes a difference that they are ASM comics, which have the widest collector base of any title I think. there are so many more potential buyers for ASM comics than for a title like Planet Comics

It's impossible to know.

true

also, it makes a difference that they are ASM comics, which have the widest collector base of any title I think. there are so many more potential buyers for ASM comics than for a title like Planet Comics

There's just no accounting for taste.