• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Of Comics Exhibit at The Skirball

4 posts in this topic

My wife and I went to this yesterday:

ZAP! POW! BAM! The Superhero: The Golden Age of Comic Books, 1938–1950

Skirball Center, Los Angeles, CA

February 19-August 9, 2009

Through never-before exhibited art and objects culled from private and institutional collections, ZAP! POW! BAM! The Superhero: The Golden Age of Comic Books, 1938-1950 explores the genesis of cultural icons such as Superman, Batman, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, and Captain America. In the midst of the economic and political turmoil of the 1930s and 1940s, comic books offered America champions who shaped the values of an entire generation. ZAP! POW! BAM! examines the creative processes and influences that drove young Jewish artists to express their talents through the storylines and art of comic books. The exhibition features rare vintage artwork and books, 1940s Hollywood movie serials, and colorful interactive displays including a drawing studio, a newsstand, a vintage Batmobile ride, and stations that allow children to dress up as Superheroes or transform themselves via a quick costume change in a telephone booth. Guest curator Jerry Robinson brings a long history as a comic book industry insider to the exhibition. Working with Batman co-creators Bob Kane and Bill Finger, Robinson named Robin, Batman's young protégé. Robinson also co-created The Joker, Batman's nemesis and one of the first Super-Villains.

It was well worth the trip to see 3 holy grail artifacts of golden age comic book history on display there: the original art for the cover of Superman #14, the original art for the cover of Master Comics #27, and the original sketch of the first Joker playing card that Jerry Robinson drew.

Other highlights included the original cover art to early Daredevil Comics, Yankee Doodle Comics, and EC's Moon Girl #4.There were some early Fawcett Captain Marvel premiums, interior pages (many with Hitler) from All Star Comics, Black Cat, Superman, Detective Comics and many more. They also had a full color Joe Simon re-creation of the Captain America Comics #1 cover.

You can dress your kids up like superheroes and take pictures, there's art tables and paper for kids to draw on, old serial movies of Captain America and Superman playing, and DC Archives for reading under big color copies of Wonder Woman and Batman stories from the golden age.

They had lots of original golden age comics on display, most in VG condition. Saw Human Torch #2, Sub Mariner #1 and Wonder Woman #1. The copy of Green Lantern #1 on display I'm almost 100% sure is a color xerox in a comic bag, and I wonder about a few other books there as well, which is my only gripe about the show.

Seeing the art and kids enjoying the exhibit was great. Check it out if you can!

My wife and I went to this yesterday:

ZAP! POW! BAM! The Superhero: The Golden Age of Comic Books, 1938–1950

Skirball Center, Los Angeles, CA

February 19-August 9, 2009

Through never-before exhibited art and objects culled from private and institutional collections, ZAP! POW! BAM! The Superhero: The Golden Age of Comic Books, 1938-1950 explores the genesis of cultural icons such as Superman, Batman, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, and Captain America. In the midst of the economic and political turmoil of the 1930s and 1940s, comic books offered America champions who shaped the values of an entire generation. ZAP! POW! BAM! examines the creative processes and influences that drove young Jewish artists to express their talents through the storylines and art of comic books. The exhibition features rare vintage artwork and books, 1940s Hollywood movie serials, and colorful interactive displays including a drawing studio, a newsstand, a vintage Batmobile ride, and stations that allow children to dress up as Superheroes or transform themselves via a quick costume change in a telephone booth. Guest curator Jerry Robinson brings a long history as a comic book industry insider to the exhibition. Working with Batman co-creators Bob Kane and Bill Finger, Robinson named Robin, Batman's young protégé. Robinson also co-created The Joker, Batman's nemesis and one of the first Super-Villains.

It was well worth the trip to see 3 holy grail artifacts of golden age comic book history on display there: the original art for the cover of Superman #14, the original art for the cover of Master Comics #21, and the original sketch of the first Joker playing card that Jerry Robinson drew.

Other highlights included the original cover art to EC's Moon Girl #4, some early Fawcett Captain Marvel premiums, interior pages (many with Hitler) from All Star Comics, Black Cat, Superman, Detective Comics and many more.

You can dress your kids up like superheroes and take pictures, there's art tables and paper for kids to draw on, old serial movies of Captain America and Superman playing, and DC Archives for reading under big color copies of Wonder Woman and Batman stories from the golden age.

They had lots of original golden age comics on display, most in VG condition. Saw Human Torch #2, Sub Mariner #1 and Wonder Woman #1. The copy of Green Lantern #1 on display I'm almost 100% sure is a color xerox in a comic bag, and I wonder about a few other books there as well, which is my only gripe about the show.

Seeing the art and kids enjoying the exhibit was great. Check it out if you can!

You should've joined us yesterday because we were there too! Did you go to the 2nd room where they had an original Captain America costume from the 1970's I believe, an original Michael Keaton costume from Batman the movie, and even an original Superman costume. Also in that same room were the Batman motorcycle on display, some silver age keys, and of course an ACTION #1!!

You should've joined us yesterday because we were there too! Did you go to the 2nd room where they had an original Captain America costume from the 1970's I believe, an original Michael Keaton costume from Batman the movie, and even an original Superman costume. Also in that same room were the Batman motorcycle on display, some silver age keys, and of course an ACTION #1!!

There was a second room?!? doh!:frustrated:

There was a second room?!? doh!:frustrated:

Yep, I actually didn't know about it until Innocous (Jay) told me about it. I was ready to leave the museum.. Glad he was looking at the pamphlet and asked where he could see the Batcycle. Yeah, the museum should've been more organized and provide directions/locations on the other room. But hey, if you still have your sticker, maybe you can still get in for free :wishluck: