• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ontario residents, no more US comics for us!!!

53 posts in this topic

So the Ontario Budget for 2009 is out. We are getting a 13% harmonized tax, the PST will be harmonized with the GST. From the wording it sounds like all the tax will be federal since the provincial is being harmonized with the federal tax. This means 13% on any package that you get hit for duty on. Buy while you can.

Good new is rebates:

— A family with an income of $160,000 or less to get $1,000, spread over three payments starting June 2010, to ease transition to new sales tax.

— A single person with an income of $80,000 or less to get $300 to ease transition.

Bruce

Who the hell cares you are still paying 13% either way. What do you care who gets it.

Moreover, why the hell are they giving you "easing" payments? There's no change in your situation. Sounds like a stimulus cheque hm

From the way it was explained to me, we will be paying 13% on every single purchase now. Items that were tax exempt, are now taxable at 13%. Apparently baby clothes as well, but these are just things I've "heard".

Andy

7% provincial tax will now be charged on services. That's an extra 7% on everything from a haircut to labour charges on your car. Not a good thing, especially for those that can afford it the least. (shrug)

So the Ontario Budget for 2009 is out. We are getting a 13% harmonized tax, the PST will be harmonized with the GST. From the wording it sounds like all the tax will be federal since the provincial is being harmonized with the federal tax. This means 13% on any package that you get hit for duty on. Buy while you can.

Good new is rebates:

— A family with an income of $160,000 or less to get $1,000, spread over three payments starting June 2010, to ease transition to new sales tax.

— A single person with an income of $80,000 or less to get $300 to ease transition.

Bruce

Who the hell cares you are still paying 13% either way. What do you care who gets it.

Moreover, why the hell are they giving you "easing" payments? There's no change in your situation. Sounds like a stimulus cheque hm

From the way it was explained to me, we will be paying 13% on every single purchase now. Items that were tax exempt, are now taxable at 13%. Apparently baby clothes as well, but these are just things I've "heard".

Andy

The reason comic collectors buying books from the US will care is we are normally only charged 5%, I have only had PST on one package ever. Now when they levy tax on a package it will be 13%. This means any books bought from the US that get nailed at the boarder will cost me an extra 7%.

I noticed books are exempt, so some people might try to mark packages as books instead of comic books to try to avoid the tax. But I have to say that would be wrong and no one should do it.

Bruce

Good new is rebates:

Bruce

Andy

The reason comic collectors buying books from the US will care is we are normally only charged 5%, I have only had PST on one package ever. Now when they levy tax on a package it will be 13%. This means any books bought from the US that get nailed at the boarder will cost me an extra 7%.

I noticed books are exempt, so some people might try to mark packages as books instead of comic books to try to avoid the tax. But I have to say that would be wrong and no one should do it.

Bruce

Makes sense! I thought pst was charged on comics too but I guess I'm misremembering. Well that sucks then :/

7% provincial tax will now be charged on services. That's an extra 7% on everything from a haircut to labour charges on your car. Not a good thing, especially for those that can afford it the least. (shrug)

well that certainly blows

What is a provincial sales tax? (shrug)

kimik is baiting you. He lives in the tax haven known as AB, Canada. Unless he sends a comic to Quebec, then he has to pay the harmonized rip-off tax of that destination province on Canada Post plus fuel tax fee, not of the home province of shipment.

Alberta. :acclaim: Gotta love having pools of oil under every street. Well, the first thing you know, Jed's a millionaire.

As a public service feel free to have your comics sent to me for safe keeping. :insane:

I think PST was supposed to be charged, but the boarder guys are federal and would only collect the federal tax, the Ontario govt did to collect their own tax. Now that they are combined the federal govt will collect it all.

Bruce

I love the Cdn public education system:

5% gst + x increase = 13% harmonized tax

ergo x = 7% increase in taxes on everything in ON except books and the bible.

Now start complaining about the 8% reaming you are getting starting April fools day?

Auditor bronty must be in a daze during the current tax season. :cool:

Good new is rebates:

A family with an income of $160,000 or less to get $1,000, spread over three payments starting June 2010, to ease transition to new sales tax.

A single person with an income of $80,000 or less to get $300 to ease transition.

Bruce

Yeah reason's like this are why it has been a decade since I lived in Canada. I don't think I could ever go back to Canadian taxes.

By living in Hong Kong one only pays salary tax which caps out at 15% (9% if you own property and know how to structure it), no sales tax, no tax on interest, capital gains or dividends. (and we have a mostly nationalized healthcare here, my daughter had a Echoscan, EKG and X-ray at the hospital this morning and it cost me US$12.50).

It means you have a lot more money for comics :)

Also how come only people that make less than $160,000 get a refund to transition to the new tax, people who make more than that have to pay the tax too.

Comic Books = Books

If books are exempt, then comics are too. I had customs charge me PST on comics a couple of times....appealed and got my money refunded both times. (thumbs u

A comic book is more similar to a magazine as they both have ads. According to the gov't, comic books = books, (tsk) comic books = taxable goods.

Andy

PS. As an earlier poster mentioned, you could always have the customs label marked books. Disclaimer: I would never suggest that, though. :whistle:

MMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

what if they are marked as gifts?

Last year, I "heard" that they were not going to allow gifts to be tax exempt. I had one that was marked gift get taxed and I called them to question it. It was address to my business and they said that wouldn't be considered a gift. My bad. Having it addressed to you, and a lower value, usually $20 or under, will often slip under the radar.

Andy

I just check some of my packaging, received a lot of books in the past 2 weeks :grin: It seems that marking them as books or childrens books means no tax. I thought box size might have something to do with it, as customs might think that the item is more valuable but I had a pretty big box marked as childrens books with no duty. I did get hit for GST this week for a couple of slabs from a boardie and he marked them as comic books. Personally I am going to start keeping track of this. From know on I am getting the books marked as books to see if I ever get nailed for taxes again.

Bruce

Good new is rebates:

A family with an income of $160,000 or less to get $1,000, spread over three payments starting June 2010, to ease transition to new sales tax.

A single person with an income of $80,000 or less to get $300 to ease transition.

Bruce

Yeah reason's like this are why it has been a decade since I lived in Canada. I don't think I could ever go back to Canadian taxes.

By living in Hong Kong one only pays salary tax which caps out at 15% (9% if you own property and know how to structure it), no sales tax, no tax on interest, capital gains or dividends. (and we have a mostly nationalized healthcare here, my daughter had a Echoscan, EKG and X-ray at the hospital this morning and it cost me US$12.50).

It means you have a lot more money for comics :)

Also how come only people that make less than $160,000 get a refund to transition to the new tax, people who make more than that have to pay the tax too.

Because consumption taxes are worse for poor people than rich people. The poorer you are the higher percentage of your income you have to spend to survive. The more you make the more you have the option to save.

Bruce

Other items such as children's clothing and footwear, car seats, books, diapers and feminine hygiene products would be exempt from the provincial portion of the merged tax.

Other items such as children's clothing and footwear, car seats, books, diapers and feminine hygiene products would be exempt from the provincial portion of the merged tax.

:shrug: