• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four cover corner box?

14 posts in this topic

Well, if it is unused then it isn't. You could say it is an unused Action #1 cover and you would be correct.

I do like the art but will most likely just relist it if it isn't published.

Well, if it is unused then it isn't. You could say it is an unused Action #1 cover and you would be correct.

I do like the art but will most likely just relist it if it isn't published.

no - this happens often. Meaning it was meant for an issue of FF but they used a different design. You could not say this was an unused Action 1 cover.

They were using similar cover boxes on the Heroes Reborn series. So I'd check there and the spin-offs that went along with that.

I just don't understand how one would prove something was intended for a project but never used. Every sketch and commission on the market could be listed as an unused. There must be many unknown pieces from artists no longer with us labled as unused and who can argue any different?

This happens all the time, editiors would reject covers after they are completed and they either change the existing (via stats etc) or just draw a new one. So these unused ones would look similar (or vastly different) than the actual cover but would be the unused one.

This happens all the time, editiors would reject covers after they are completed and they either change the existing (via stats etc) or just draw a new one. So these unused ones would look similar (or vastly different) than the actual cover but would be the unused one.

Ok so is it considered common practice to list items as covers or whatever if they are not in fact covers but planned covers that never made it without going into that small detail in the auction?

I understand everyone must do their own homework but for it to be a standard practice to call something what it could have been had things been different when it is not is lame.

"I see on your resume you were class valedictorian. So you were #1 in your class of 450, Impressive."

"That is a funny story. You see, while I was in the running for valedictorian in the end they went with another student. In fact several students had higher GPAs than I but had those students who scored higher than me not gotten in my way well I'd have been #1 so I claim the title as well."

:signfunny:

Well, it is common to have unpublished and unused pieces such as covers etc.

Of course when they are listed the seller should disclose whether or not it was used. The buyer should also do his due dilligence and confirm things before buying.

Let me take this chance to pimp one of my acquistions. When I bought this McFarlane Alpha Flight Promo Piece I really liked it because this was promoting the Alpha Flight issues I really enjoyed. I did not even knew that McFarlane drew a promotional piece to promote this new direction. After more research (including posting on the Alpha Flight boards) I'm still not sure if this piece is published. But the key to my enjoyment for this particular piece was not whether or not it was published. It is just a picture of a team/book that I enjoyed by a superstar artist.

In your case if being published is key to your enjoyment, I would do further research to see if it was published, if it wasn't, then I guess you'll be liquidating as you said.

Malvin

:signfunny:

Well, it is common to have unpublished and unused pieces such as covers etc.

Of course when they are listed the seller should disclose whether or not it was used. The buyer should also do his due dilligence and confirm things before buying.

Let me take this chance to pimp one of my acquistions. When I bought this McFarlane Alpha Flight Promo Piece I really liked it because this was promoting the Alpha Flight issues I really enjoyed. I did not even knew that McFarlane drew a promotional piece to promote this new direction. After more research (including posting on the Alpha Flight boards) I'm still not sure if this piece is published. But the key to my enjoyment for this particular piece was not whether or not it was published. It is just a picture of a team/book that I enjoyed by a superstar artist.

In your case if being published is key to your enjoyment, I would do further research to see if it was published, if it wasn't, then I guess you'll be liquidating as you said.

Malvin

Corner boxes are tough to track down. Really could have been used on any Marvel comic. My hope was that it was used.

I think I can settle this. I was Salvador's orginal art agent many years ago before Jim Warden. I remember this piece. If i'm not mistaking it was NOT used for a corner box. My memory is dim but if I remember correctly it was supposed to be used for a proposed Video game box cover.

Hope that helps.

Mike

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=157

I think I can settle this. I was Salvador's orginal art agent many years ago before Jim Warden. I remember this piece. If i'm not mistaking it was NOT used for a corner box. My memory is dim but if I remember correctly it was supposed to be used for a proposed Video game box cover.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Wow well that is WAY better than a corner box !

Hope that helps.

Mike

How long ago did you represent Salvador? There were not a lot of Fantastic four games prior to the recent blockbuster movies so it should not be too hard to figure this out. This is the old PS1 game cover as published the game was released in 1997.

e360_1.JPG

it's been at least 4-5 years. I last represented him during his run on X-treme X-Men. I think it was supposed to be a proposed game that never saw to frution. That's how I remember it.

Mike