• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: This or a Green Lantern #76 9.4?

30 posts in this topic

Wow...

I dont collect sports stuff.. But it amazes me that 15 cents worth of blue paint can make something worth 9000$ instead of 20$.

Still super cool.. Im just always iffy of company produced super-collectables (ie: Collectables for the sake of collectables) Also, it kind of sucks that all these will be found by STORES.. not random fans.. Its not like fans are buying cases and opening them...

Random card (sport and non sport) inserts are one thing.. since the fan buys a pack for 2 bucks and gets something cool.. But when "_________ and collectables" shop gets to open a case and then sell something for 9K... I mean its like the other day when I walked into a comic shop and new issues of BATTLE FOR THE COWL were all bagged for 10$ each and not cover.. Its BS..

/rant

haha

I really don't understand the desirability of this. This really makes me question collectors sanity. This is a manufactured rarity that was made in the last 6 months. Big freaking deal you get a Babe Ruth with a blue baseball cap and white letters instead of the usual White baseball cap with black letters. There is no historical significance to this at all. Freak if you want a blue hat with white letters just paint it yourself and save a ton of money. For all you know McFarlene could make this a habit and come out with 20 players next year with some kind of funky painted clothes. This is the biggest waste of money of all time.

I really don't understand the desirability of this. This really makes me question collectors sanity. This is a manufactured rarity that was made in the last 6 months. Big freaking deal you get a Babe Ruth with a blue baseball cap and white letters instead of the usual White baseball cap with black letters. There is no historical significance to this at all. Freak if you want a blue hat with white letters just paint it yourself and save a ton of money. For all you know McFarlene could make this a habit and come out with 20 players next year with some kind of funky painted clothes. This is the biggest waste of money of all time.

"What you collect is stupid, what I collect is cool." (thumbs u

Sorry, got this thread confused with "Coca Cola bottlecaps from 1960-1969 or Action Comic 1 CGC 6.0" that came up a few weeks back.

Someone made a very good point that McFarlane could create a false market just by "limiting" the production run on hundreds of figures to start out with by using a minor difference. Could be dangerous to venture into this market.

For $9k why not just go buy a Babe Ruth baseball card? I am sure you can get one for $9K. Wouldn't that be better than something manufactured to be a collectable? I don't collect cards and you may not be able to get one for $9K but I would rather show of my cool original Babe Ruth card from back in the day than an action figure that's claim to fame is it has a blue hat.

Wow...

I dont collect sports stuff.. But it amazes me that 15 cents worth of blue paint can make something worth 9000$ instead of 20$.

15 cents worth of blue paint put on paper by Picasso or Warhol or anyone of that ilk would easily be worth $9K or more.

I don't collect sports stuff either, but I find spending that much money for a manufactured collectible to not be the wisest move. But it's the buyer's decision what to do with his money.

And I like the card better.

Wow...

15 cents worth of blue paint put on paper by Picasso or Warhol or anyone of that ilk would easily be worth $9K or more.

I don't collect sports stuff either, but I find spending that much money for a manufactured collectible to not be the wisest move. But it's the buyer's decision what to do with his money.

And I like the card better.

But that is one of a kind art by a famous master...

This is a spray op variation by some unknown worker probably in china...

Holy Schmoly !!

This piece was limited to an edition of 3...

I think it will end up over $9,000, but I have to ask myself: is there potential for growth with this item? I can't imagine it would go up much, but then again, Yankee fans are crazy :-)

This piece came out of a case of 12 assorted pieces.Sold by a Colorado retailer named Brad Alexander.

As was said there is only three of these.Considering how many figures McFarlane makes this is indeed a needle in 100 haystacks.

These pieces are also very condition sensative.You get mint figures very seldom.So is that price insane?To me yes.But to each his own.And congrats to Brad.

Wow...

Random card (sport and non sport) inserts are one thing.. since the fan buys a pack for 2 bucks and gets something cool..

:o You mean they still sell packs of cards for $2.00 bucks????? Those are like 1990 prices.

two bucks in basically topps now.Packs range from one to the extreme oval edition cards that sold for 2500 a pack.You may have heard about the A Lincoln G Washington dual cut auto(sold for like 17k).It was out of this product.

Holy Schmoly !!

I think it will end up over $9,000, but I have to ask myself: is there potential for growth with this item? I can't imagine it would go up much, but then again, Yankee fans are crazy :-)

I wouldn't this because it has been taken out of the package and professionally resealed for a second time. Have the other two been resealed?

Wow...

Random card (sport and non sport) inserts are one thing.. since the fan buys a pack for 2 bucks and gets something cool..

:o You mean they still sell packs of cards for $2.00 bucks????? Those are like 1990 prices.

two bucks in basically topps now.Packs range from one to the extreme oval edition cards that sold for 2500 a pack.You may have heard about the A Lincoln G Washington dual cut auto(sold for like 17k).It was out of this product.

Not too long ago in the Gold forum we were talking about Action 1 in comparison to sports cards and I posted this info: I believe the Lebron/Jordan card was $500 a pack and you got a whopping 3 cards per pack. :o

2004 Upper Deck Lebron James/Michael Jordan card sold for $150,100. It is the only 1 of its kind.

kobelebron2_il.jpg

1996 Tiger Woods Sports Illustrated for Kids Gem Mint sold for $125,000.

woods_150.jpg

It's been awhile since I bought any cards but I knew a guy who ran a card shop and I would pop in here and there and buy some hockey packs. I gave up when the "good stuff" could only really be had in the $6-$7+ packs. I just thought to myself how much I enjoyed buying cards as a kid, when you could actually save up and buy a box of Donruss or Fleer for like $20. At the time I wondered how and if kids today even buy these $5+ packs or if its all just high end collectors and speculators trying to nab that Lincoln card or Ruth signature or whatever. I have fond memories of cracking open a fresh box and salivating over how many packs were waiting to be opened. What do kids do now? Save up 20 bucks for 2 packs and the experience is over in 35 seconds? Bummer.

Holy Schmoly !!

I wouldn't this because it has been taken out of the package and professionally resealed for a second time. Have the other two been resealed?

Andrew,

I really dont know what youre talking about.Maybe you could clarify.

This sale is legit.Brad is good as they come.

Wow...

Not too long ago in the Gold forum we were talking about Action 1 in comparison to sports cards and I posted this info: I believe the Lebron/Jordan card was $500 a pack and you got a whopping 3 cards per pack. :o

2004 Upper Deck Lebron James/Michael Jordan card sold for $150,100. It is the only 1 of its kind.

kobelebron2_il.jpg

1996 Tiger Woods Sports Illustrated for Kids Gem Mint sold for $125,000.

woods_150.jpg

It's been awhile since I bought any cards but I knew a guy who ran a card shop and I would pop in here and there and buy some hockey packs. I gave up when the "good stuff" could only really be had in the $6-$7+ packs. I just thought to myself how much I enjoyed buying cards as a kid, when you could actually save up and buy a box of Donruss or Fleer for like $20. At the time I wondered how and if kids today even buy these $5+ packs or if its all just high end collectors and speculators trying to nab that Lincoln card or Ruth signature or whatever. I have fond memories of cracking open a fresh box and salivating over how many packs were waiting to be opened. What do kids do now? Save up 20 bucks for 2 packs and the experience is over in 35 seconds? Bummer.

That Jordan/LeBron came out of 2003/4 Exquisite basketball.%00 was the suggested retail price.But these went for 1k the first day.By the time 6 months was you it was more like 3k a pack.Sealed cases topped out at 14k(3 boxes).

The Tiger card was cut from a sheet of 9 cards.There were many production problems on this card.Mostly trying to put the photo on the alloted space without bleeding onto the next space.As these were perferrated many were tore apart(think 80-81 Bird magic rookie).This was in sports illustrated for kids in 1996.So many were just recycled after the young ones had read them.

Comics are going the same direction - unit sales are plummeting, so the aging nerds are being asked to fork over ever-higher prices for their fix. We may scoff at $2500 packs of cards, but there may come a day that the dwindling number of comic buyers forced Marvel/DC to go a similar route.

Comics are going the same direction - unit sales are plummeting, so the aging nerds are being asked to fork over ever-higher prices for their fix. We may scoff at $2500 packs of cards, but there may come a day that the dwindling number of comic buyers forced Marvel/DC to go a similar route.

JC

2500 is a lot of money for a pack of cards for sure .But a dual authentic Washington/Lincoln auto.That is just awesome.

Holy Schmoly !!

Andrew,

I really dont know what youre talking about.Maybe you could clarify.

This sale is legit.Brad is good as they come.

I realize that but was only wondering why the figurine was taken out of the box. Also what is tape on the back of the packaging for? The listing states,"

This was pulled from an original case, and quickly shipped to Beckett Media. It was packed in one of the most secure methods we have ever seen. "

What am I missing here?