• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantasy GA cover creations?

43 posts in this topic

I started a crossover fantasy thread a while back.

Didn't get too much interest to continue though. :sorry:

I remember that. I think I was the only one watching. :insane:

Great work all.

Ryan, how did you get that fold? It that an actual fold, or an optical illusion?

I've done one. It was a "Rocket to the Moon" homage. Sadly, I don't have a copy of the final painting. It's from a couple of years ago when I was still in my "Must channel Kirby" phase. That's why Ted's all big and blocky. It does have an Atom Age Schomburg swipe though.

th_rocket.jpg

Here are the thumbs for the piece. I probably should have gone with the one on the left. What the heck, still can.

th_rocketthumb.jpg

Very, very nice - I wish I could do that. (worship)

Thanks telerites.

:gossip: Anyone could do that. All you have to do is swipe from Wood, Orlando, Cole, Schomburg, and Kirby. Those guys did all the heavy lifting. I just Frankensteined it together.

Thanks telerites.

:gossip: Anyone could do that. All you have to do is swipe from Wood, Orlando, Cole, Schomburg, and Kirby. Those guys did all the heavy lifting. I just Frankensteined it together.

I think you're being too humble. I've tried and just can't seem to get it right. Those are great ones to swipe from to be sure but you've got to have the talent to do it justice. It is very good.

My latest creation using several different programs and borrowing from a ton of books......I am not going to admit how many hours I spent on this tonight lol

From what I was told...it is the highest graded copy ;)

DCHolidaySpecialslab2.jpg

Thanks telerites.

I think you're being too humble. I've tried and just can't seem to get it right. Those are great ones to swipe from to be sure but you've got to have the talent to do it justice. It is very good.

Nah, it's not humility, and I'm not fishing for compliments, it's dissatisfaction. The work needs to be better.

Have you tried the "Draw three objects a day for a week" trick? I took a Scientific Illustration class 20 some odd years ago, and the Professor had us do that exercise. Take any object, push-pin, paper clip, what have you, and draw that three times a day. It's surprising how much you'll learn about drawing.

As far as talent goes... Wally Wood seemed to have an almost innate understanding of negative space. It's as if he intuitively understood how nothing could be something. In my opinion that was his talent. That was Wood's genius. The rest of it, is just drive, practice and perseverance.

I'll get off of my soap box now, and crawl back into my hole, but before I do, just so this post isn't too wildly off topic...

Here's one of the drawings I'm currently working. When it's finished, it will be a fit for this thread.

th_pc53iti01.jpg

Not sure if this is what you had in mind...

Its hand painted (not done in Photoshop). This was done as a commission for a fellow who wanted a BATMAN #1 alternate cover. Of course, first thing I did was throw Robin out the window...

MIKE_batman1LORES.jpg

Wish I had time to do more fantasy covers... they are a lot of fun.

Ryan this is frickin awesome!

Not sure if this is what you had in mind...

Its hand painted (not done in Photoshop). This was done as a commission for a fellow who wanted a BATMAN #1 alternate cover. Of course, first thing I did was throw Robin out the window...

MIKE_batman1LORES.jpg

Wish I had time to do more fantasy covers... they are a lot of fun.

Great painting! I'd love to see more like that.

Great work all.

Ryan, how did you get that fold? It that an actual fold, or an optical illusion?

Doctor Svord, that is indeed a fold. Its folded paper glued on as a base, and then primed and the image is painted over top. Gives it a bit of an old comic feel (I hope).

Wish I could see you drawings better, but the images are very small. Can you post them larger?

And thanks for the kind words guys!! Looking forward to seeing some more examples of boardie's work!

Great work all.

Doctor Svord, that is indeed a fold. Its folded paper glued on as a base, and then primed and the image is painted over top. Gives it a bit of an old comic feel (I hope).

Wish I could see you drawings better, but the images are very small. Can you post them larger?

And thanks for the kind words guys!! Looking forward to seeing some more examples of boardie's work!

Ryan - That's a really nice touch. (thumbs u

I was getting more of an old movie poster/lobby card vibe. That's the great thing about art: What we intend, and how it's interpreted are two totally different things.

Great work man. The piece you did for Mr. Bedrock is fantastic.

As for the stuff I posted, just click on the image and it'll take you to the larger (768 x 1024) version in the photobucket gallery. I think that's what you mean. If not I have to re-scan a bunch of .

Pete

This isn't really a fantasy cover since it is just a slight modification of the original art by Elias.

But I thought I should correct the price on his shave and a hair cut cover.

bb

3407689766_85a2ee486b_b.jpg