• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mylar - Flapped or Open-Ended ?

64 posts in this topic

Which is the Mylar of choice for most of you ? While you're at it , maybe someone can explain why the open ends - doesn't that leave the book vulnerable to dust ,air , etc ?

I have everything in Mylite 2's. If its a higher priced book and I want a little extra protection. I insert the book thats in the Mylite, in the open top Mylar ( which is 4 mil ). Just my 2c

DRX

I have everything in Mylite 2's. If its a higher priced book and I want a little extra protection. I insert the book thats in the Mylite, in the open top Mylar ( which is 4 mil ). Just my 2c

DRX

Only way to go. Open ended are great if reading the books a lot but for high grade or expensive books its so much easier to handle books when they are sealed. The first time you grab an open ended mylar and the book falls out on the floor will probably be the last time you use one. :eek:

From what i hear, the comic still needs a little air to breathe. If it is sealed shut, condensation can occur depending on what type of environment it is stored.

Original rigid mylars is the correct route. I have KEY SA books in an open flap Golden Age mylar...GA mylars are roomier and I keep them in my safe opened periodically to air it out. Get a safe that protects the books. Some have been known to release gasses, chemicals, etc. Mylites are ok but they are flimsy, some are wrinkly, and it scares me to pick up a key book in a mylite. I've tried them all (Mylars, Mylites, Showcase Sealers, Fortresses, Poly bags) and I always go back to the original mylar thick, rigid sleeves with acid free comfortable backing boards.

I've done this for many many years with NO change in the books conditions...none whatsoever!

Flaps for me... and I think putting a comic protected by a Mylite (with a Half-Back) inside the 4-mil rigid holders protects a comic book almost as well as a CGC slab.

Did I just say that out loud, on CGC's own forum???

:o

-slym

From what i hear, the comic still needs a little air to breathe. If it is sealed shut, condensation can occur depending on what type of environment it is stored.

How much is a 'little'? Most of the comics I kept after my big sell-off in the 90's were stored in longboxes with poly bags & boards, with about 2" of tape in the middle of the flap sealing it. The books were kept in a non-climate controlled area with very high humidity (lower Alabama), and after 10+ years (untouched) the only problem was minor PQ issues due to greatly fluctuating temps. No condensation, wavy covers, any of that.

I say buy Mylite2's and save yourself the debate and money.

DiceX- Who HATES open top mylars! :frustrated:

I concur.

Absolutely. Mylite2 with a fullback for the GAs, keys, and other "better" books.