• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELLBLAZER...is the market ripe for 9.8 CGC copies of early issues?

6 posts in this topic

I've got this really tight run of HELLBLAZER from 11-60 in an OO collection that is really tight. Haven't seen any (or much of) graded copies on the market.

Last sales I've seen in GPA on various issues from 11-43 happened around 2005-2006.

Thoughts?

Worth getting slabbed?

Nobobdy likes them. If you have any Hellblazer 9.8's I might take them off your hands for $25.... :whistle:

:jokealert:

9c396699.jpg

Seriously, I am always happy to pay $30-$40 for an early HB 9.8 slab that I don't already have :)

On the rare occasion that I see one on ebay I'm usually the only bidder and win with the minimum bid of $30 or so. If you had a #27 9.8 slab I'd pay $100.

They are RARE on ebay though, due to a lack of demand I suppose. However, I've been after them for a couple of years, and I believe I detect a flicker of an increase in interest...

PS I should clarify that I'm talking about demand for CGC copies. Demand for raw Hellblazers is always pretty strong, as a lot of people like reading and collecting it.

Counter intuitively, the early issues are the easiest to find (though not in grade). Print runs on the first 60-80 issues were much much higher I suspect.

Print run today is about 11,000.

Hellblazer, Sandman, Saga of the Swamp Thing always hot as the staples of the early Vertigo line.

Not slabbed, though - apart from a smattering of select issues & "keys" (like HB 27, Sandman 8, etc), you'd be lucky to get $30-40 for a CGC 9.8 copy from any of the series above. And if it's a CGC 9.6, you might make a couple of dollars on top of your slabbing fees.

They're hard to find, yeah - but that's because there's hardly any demand for them. I think I have 20-25 Sandman 9.8's in my registry set that I've paid less than $30 for ...

Hellblazer, Sandman, Saga of the Swamp Thing always hot as the staples of the early Vertigo line.

Not slabbed, though - apart from a smattering of select issues & "keys" (like HB 27, Sandman 8, etc), you'd be lucky to get $30-40 for a CGC 9.8 copy from any of the series above. And if it's a CGC 9.6, you might make a couple of dollars on top of your slabbing fees.

They're hard to find, yeah - but that's because there's hardly any demand for them. I think I have 20-25 Sandman 9.8's in my registry set that I've paid less than $30 for ...

Yeah, honestly, you're right Michael on this (and just this topic only :baiting:). I've seen issues like Sandman 18 or 19 CGC 9.8 error copies go for extremely low prices that shocked me afterwards because I passed them up assuming they would be much higher.