• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC price changes

119 posts in this topic

http://cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.asp?IDArticle=1206

I was just thinking today, that they haven't raised their rates in a long time. Anyone catch the update yet? If not, the link is above.

I completely understand the need to do so. They need to make money, and six years without a price change is pretty much un-heard of.

Still, it will hurt :eek: The biggest problem for me is the "Modern" tier date change from 1975 to 1980. Most of the books I send in are from late-1975. Certainly, 75% of my submissions are from 1975-1979. Going from $15 for a 20 day turnaround time, to being forced to submit those books "economy" for $32 and a 40 day turnaround time...it will hurt. To get the books back in the same 20 day turnaround time will be $40 (eco. fast track). No complaints, as I knew it was coming. But, it will be felt on my end significantly. :(

The gravy train has lost momentum. I can understand though, the huge spike in BA books they grade and the prices realised at sale are most likely dictating this move. Now those books may be submitted less, OR they will start making more money.

The changes in tier price, are small in my opinion. The modern date change was the big change. Submitting 1975-1979 books doubled in price. But, like I said, 6 years without a price change is a long time.

That's the biggie. The rest of the changes are very reasonable, seeing as it's the first change in six years.

The changes in tier price, are small in my opinion. The modern date change was the big change. Submitting 1975-1979 books doubled in price. But, like I said, 6 years without a price change is a long time.

I agree. A lot of books I have submitted are from 1975-1977. Books in this era have the biggest price increase.

The modern date change was the big change. Submitting 1975-1979 books doubled in price.

I'd guess that Value tier submissions will increase a lot. It's a good thing they'll be offering the pre-screen service for those books now.

I haven't submitted since my first coupons because I felt burned by the grade on my FF48. So, now my incentive is even less but I might submit some of the Xmen keys between 75-80 now.

Putting aside wait times, as I read it, at the cheapest those 1975-1979 books used to be $15 (if done 10 at a time) and now they're going to be $23 (submitting 30 at a time)? [assuming you're under the FMV cap]

That's a pretty steep hike. I understand not having raised prices, etc., but they're raising these prices at a time when some of these books are fetching less and less, particularly if you don't get back 9.8s. That bump has pretty much killed my desire to submit the 75-100 bronzers from that period that I thought might be slab-worthy.

I also don't entirely buy "prices have to go up." Actually, we're in a deflationary period. Rents and real estate prices in Sarasota have gone down. Wages have gone down (from last year at least). And part of the cost in CGC's early years was the learning curve. Actually, they should be doing this sort of work more efficiently and it should be costing them less to do it.

Just curious if CGC's costs really have gone up.

I also don't see any basis of now differentiating 1975-1979 and 1980-present in the price structure other than to get a "piece of the action." They know they can't really charge much more for most moderns, so they don't try.

Seeing as 90% of books I submit are pre 75, no big whoop :banana:

An extra couple of bucks won't hurt.

Just charge more for shipping lol

:jokealert:

Seeing as 90% of books I submit are pre 75, no big whoop :banana:

An extra couple of bucks won't hurt.

Just charge more for shipping lol

:jokealert:

I'm in the same boat. Either 1985 and later or 1975 and before.

In summary, here are the changes...

Value $23.00 per book (+$2 to grade, +50 max value of book)

Value Fast Track $31.00 per book (+$2 to grade, +50 max value of book)

Economy $32.00 per book (+$3 to grade, +50 max value of book)

Economy Fast Track $40.00 per book (+$3 to grade, +50 max value of book)

Standard $54.00 per book (+$5 to grade, no change in max value of book)

Express $85.00 per book (+$5 to grade, -$1000 in max value of book) :o

20 Day Express Coupon Col Soc Coupon (-$1000 in max value of book) :o

Modern *20 business days$200 /ea.$17.00 per book (+$1 to grade)

Modern Fast Track*10 business days$200 /ea.$25.00 per book. (+1 to grade)

Hmmm, so it looks like the Hulk 2 I've been thinking about submitting will cost me $54 vs. $49 presently. A 10% hike is a far cry from the 50%++ hike for the cheaper stuff. I can live with that.

And economy is going from $29 to $32, but the FMV cap fis bumped from $250 to $300.

once again, not a biggie.

So, basically, if you have a bunch of $300-$100 books, no biggie, and actually maybe cheaper if you're really worried about putting down an accurate FMV for books in the $250-$300 range.

If you live in the 1975-1979 $75-$150 market you are F-ED.

I guess that's one way to make sure that non-uber keys from that period stay rare in 9.8.