• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

59 posts in this topic

FOXNews.com has apparently fired their gossip columnist Roger Friedman for the following article posted on Thursday...and now yanked...

Yes, I’ve seen "X Men Origins: Wolverine." It wasn’t at a screening, either. I found a work in progress print of it, 95 percent completed, on the internet last night. Let’s hope by now it’s gone.

But the cat is out of the bag, as they say, and the genie is out of the bottle. There’s no turning back. But no, I will not tell you the big twist/surprise toward the end. Not now, a whole month away from release. That wouldn’t be nice.

Right now, my "cousins" at 20th Century Fox are probably having apoplexy. I doubt anyone else has seen this film. But everyone can relax. I am, in fact, amazed about how great "Wolverine" turned out. It exceeds expectations at every turn. I was completely riveted to my desk chair in front of my computer.

I don’t know what the really big headline is here: the fact that "Wolverine" is so good, or that I also found the current top 10 movies in theaters, as well as a turgid domestic drama called "Fireflies in the Garden" with Ryan Reynolds and Julia Roberts — the latter in a minor role while her husband, Danny Moder, is credited as director of photography.

I did find the whole top 10, plus TV shows, commercials, videos, everything, all streaming away. It took really less than seconds to start playing it all right onto my computer. I could have downloaded all of it but really, who has the time or the room? Later tonight I may finally catch up with Paul Rudd in "I Love You, Man." It’s so much easier than going out in the rain!

But back to "Wolverine": this is the prequel to the first "X Men" movie. Directed by Gavin Hood, the film is as cutting edge as it is old fashioned. This may be the big blockbuster film of 2009, and one we really need right now. It’s miles easier to understand than "The Dark Knight," and tremendously more emotional. Hood simply did an excellent job bringing Wolverine’s early life to the screen.

Hugh Jackman is Wolverine, of course, and he is more a movie star in this movie than ever before. It doesn’t hurt that he’s spent every waking minute in the gym. Hood doesn’t hide that. Jackman fans will get their fill of their hero. He’s joined by a phenomenal cast, too — Liev Schreiber as his evil but equally clawed brother, Victor, aka Sabretooth; Ryan Reynolds (he gets a lot of work, that’s for sure) as Deadpool; Dominic Monagan as Beak; Kevin Durand as the Blob; and the sensational sort of Han Solo-ish Taylor Kitsch as Gambit. There’s also sultry Lynn Collins as Wolverine’s love interest, and Danny Huston as the villainous Colonel Stryker.

I do think the film works so beautifully because the screenplay is so streamlined. David Benioff (whose real name, I read, is David Friedman — he’s married to Amanda Peet) carefully delineated these characters and did a smashing job. I had less trouble following this story than the one in "Fireflies in the Garden." He’s made "Wolverine" just the right kind of summer entertainment — a thrill ride with lots of emotional investment and a hero simply bigger than life. That’s all you can ask for.

Now, I did see "Wolverine" on a large, wide computer screen, and not in a movie theater, but it could not have played better. Still, this was a workprint and there were about a dozen things not finished. A couple of times it was possible to see the harnesses on the actors. It didn’t take away from the film at all. But obviously someone who had access to a print uploaded the film onto this website. This begs several questions about security. Time to round up the usual suspects!

I think the firing is a pretty severe move on Fox's part. Friedman wasn't encouraging downloading but rather reporting on what is blatantly obvious to most on the web. And the fact the movie is out there to view isn't a secret and information most other news outlets have reported on. I can't help but think this move won't hurt the website...

And I'm pretty annoyed by the firing. I think FOXNews' website is one of the worst designed news websites on the web. While Friedman's daily articles weren't news, they were regularly entertaining and no one has a better grasp, and sources, on the current wacko world of Michael Jackson. He was the main reason to visit the FOXNews website and now that he's apparently gone, I guess I can take another Favorite out of my list...

Jim

I guess something is only illegal when it affects you?

You buy a book on ebay, it isn't graded correctly! You're pissed!

You eagerly await your ebay purchase, you open the box... and it's empty! Fraud!

You download a movie that hasn't been released yet! Cool!

You wouldn't believe the cheesy promotional "stunt" going on right now (real time) over Sydney Harbour.

It's on the morning idi0t box shows (it's 8.a.m. Wednesday) and Jackman has just exited a helicopter that landed at Cockatoo Island (small island in the Harbour, scene for a lot of the film and a lot of sets still there, including the adamantium injection site).

Ha ha, now he's taken a "flying fox" (like a zip line) to a small stage and is addressing the assembled flacks and journos.

Pretty bad. The helicopter actually had "X-Men:Origins - Wolverine" in tiny letters stencilled on the side.

The Star Trek movie premiere was at the Opera House last night. Maybe the Wolverine people are trying to capitalise on the concentration of movie reporting types to get this thing off the ground.

I'll keep you posted

I didn't watch the entire Wolverine movie when it was linked, I didn't have time since that was the day I left for my vacation and had a plane to catch, however I did watch the ending fight...I wasn't exactly impressed. It was Cheese...

Here is hoping the final release improves.

SPOILER BELOW***

Who was that guy they were fighting anyways? the guy who can teleport/ phase / turn invisible ( or whatever he was doing ) and doesnt have a mouth? Looked rather lame :P

I didn't watch the entire Wolverine movie when it was linked, I didn't have time since that was the day I left for my vacation and had a plane to catch, however I did watch the ending fight...I wasn't exactly impressed. It was Cheese...

Here is hoping the final release improves.

SPOILER BELOW***

Who was that guy they were fighting anyways? the guy who can teleport/ phase / turn invisible ( or whatever he was doing ) and doesnt have a mouth? Looked rather lame :P

What name did Logan call him?

I loathed it.

:P

:o why that negative?

They could of written something waaaaaaay much better.

Wolverine deserves an Iron Man quality movie.

This movie was a sad Rambo type of movie with a new coat of mutant special effects paint.

Plus there were waaaay too many liberties with the characters.