• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sean's Sad Little Pictureless Gem City Con Report

38 posts in this topic

We were hit with a couple of big bills late in the week, so we arrived at the show with next to zero money to spend. Like Sean, I found it frustrating trying to work through the crowd. But happy for the growth in the show.

Gem City is the only con I've been to. Just last year and this year. So perhaps I'm wrong in this limited analysis. But what I like about Dayton is that, to me, it's more a readers show than a collectors show. My take was that there was more raw and at better prices this year. I doubt if I saw a dozen slabs on the show floor. And it seemed that people were buying. Buying to read. And after all, isn't that really what our love of these books is about.

Took a cursory glance at most everyone's wall books. But the long boxes were where I spent the most time. Found a couple of sweet books at Motor City's tables. I'm looking to upgrade to VF or better the first books in each title that I bought as a kid. Motor City had great prices on an IM 28 and WF 189 that replaced my early 70s beater copies.

Only one impulse buy. My best buy all day. At Big Mike's table. I'm a big fan of the old 60s and 70s british sci-fi shows produced by Gerry Anderson. Found a NM copy of Space:1999 #2 with Mike. In fact, as I was looking at it, I was standing next to you Sean as you were talking with Mike about those westerns. Those were sweet books.

So all in all, I spent way less than I did last year. Still had as good a time. Met a couple of board regulars, and am looking forward to next years Gem City con.

It was a good show and it was good to see all the fellow boardies yesterday -- later today when i get home i`ll post a bunch of pics i took at both Lexington and Dayton shows -- (thumbs u

right now i`m a walking dead after 2 shows and not getting home until 11:00 last night --

Yea there were a lot of crop dusters there. Were quite a few mary jane fans there too. Overall one of the stinkiest smell wise in a whiile.

Okay, okay.

You want a pic?

Here is a candid photo of my beloved, which made the Dayton paper this AM.

Fun show, by the way, congrats to Bill and Fearless Readers!

http://projects.daytondailynews.com/cache/galleries/photos/1065976/

Going around the show, there were more of the "rare" Deadpool issues than I have ever seen at all of the shows I have ever been to, combined. Apparently, the dealers have caught up to the trend. Lots of them on the wall, lots of aggressive pricing.

Did some $1 longbox diving. Got the 1st 9 issues of Boris the Bear, which I am realy looking forward to reading again. Some obscure indy #1s. A couple 9.8 quality Spiderman:Reign #1s that I was pretty stoked to find. I don't have a Kaare Andrews SS yet, so these should do the trick. But mostly it was really hard to get through a dealer's longboxes. I don't have the most patience in the world. Plus twice I got cropdusted big time by dudes who were looking at the boxes on the table while I was looking at boxes on the floor.

I checked back with Frank Brunner about my Dr. Strange sketch cover commission around 2:30. He hadn't started it. He apologized profusely, but stated that he was getting sweated big time by some of the others (even though I was the first commission on the list) especially someone waiting on a Green Goblin Dark Avengers book. :whistle: I helped get Buck Biggins and Whovianone's SS books done (Kudos to Whovi. He got a sweet pence copy Howard the Duck #1 done!).

I babysat the PopCulturePins booth for a while, so Andrew could stretch out his bad leg. Around four, I heard some dudes talking about what a sweet Dr. Strange sketch Brunner was working on, so I started getting antsy. When BB came back, I went to see Frank and it was indeed my book. He knocked it out of the park. It is so good, I bet it ends up in the gallery. Anthony and I did a deal on a couple of books and then I headed home.

Next year is supposedly in a much better venue, and I heard rumors about the guest list for next year that sounded realllly good. Viva Gem City Con!!

Are you going to post that sketch?Brunner was awesome on that book (thumbs u

We love you, stumpy

Only until you've received your goodies, then one is to be cast aside until there is some other curiousity you need for your hoard. *sigh*

The time for me to be nice to you was before I paid for the item so you fail again.

We love you, stumpy

Only until you've received your goodies, then one is to be cast aside until there is some other curiousity you need for your hoard. *sigh*

The time for me to be nice to you was before I paid for the item so you fail again.

You are never nice, Po. If I email you the picure of the SI sketch, will you post it?

I found a bunch of nice books at the lexington show but only walked away with about 4 keepers at gem city. I figured it would be the other way around.

Nice package sent to CGC