• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sean's Sad Little Pictureless Gem City Con Report

38 posts in this topic

Went to the GCC today and was pleasantly surprised (but ultimately disappointed) at how crowded it was. Pleasantly surprised because it is nice to see a small but growing regional con doing well. Disappointed because it was fricking hard to get through people's tables for a lot of the day.

I started by meeting pirate and Buck Biggins and checking out the lay of the land. There was no line for Frank Brunner, one of my favorite Bronze artists, so I decided to knock out my SS books. Frank was very pleasant and took great care to choose the right pen and the right spot for each sig. I also got on his commission list. More on that later.

BigMike is looking svelte already after his surgery and had a nice spot. I spent a little time with him checking out a nice longbox of 60's Westerns that he picked up. Motor City had the two nicest copies of Avengers 57 at the show, so I looked at them both for a while, almost bought them both, but ended up buying one that they have as an 8.0. I think they are close. It may be a 7.5 because of a funky rub on the spine. But the main cover image is as fresh, clean and reflective as the day it left the presses. :cloud9:

I was looking for some modern drek to get signed by some British talent at the Bristol show. I found several of the books I wanted, but they were all completely dogged-out. Who puts a 7.5 copy of Demon Annual #2 on their wall books? :frustrated:

Grabbed a quick lunch with pirate and brought lunch back for Buck Biggins and his nephew, a budding collector himself. (By the way, any Archie or Richie Rich fan should PM Andrew -Buck Biggins about his Pop Culture Pins. They are awesome. Also, for those who can't afford Shiverbones original art, he has sweet pins featuring our own Matthew Kirsht's designs.)

Approaching wall of text status - More to come.

Going around the show, there were more of the "rare" Deadpool issues than I have ever seen at all of the shows I have ever been to, combined. Apparently, the dealers have caught up to the trend. Lots of them on the wall, lots of aggressive pricing.

Did some $1 longbox diving. Got the 1st 9 issues of Boris the Bear, which I am realy looking forward to reading again. Some obscure indy #1s. A couple 9.8 quality Spiderman:Reign #1s that I was pretty stoked to find. I don't have a Kaare Andrews SS yet, so these should do the trick. But mostly it was really hard to get through a dealer's longboxes. I don't have the most patience in the world. Plus twice I got cropdusted big time by dudes who were looking at the boxes on the table while I was looking at boxes on the floor.

I checked back with Frank Brunner about my Dr. Strange sketch cover commission around 2:30. He hadn't started it. He apologized profusely, but stated that he was getting sweated big time by some of the others (even though I was the first commission on the list) especially someone waiting on a Green Goblin Dark Avengers book. :whistle: I helped get Buck Biggins and Whovianone's SS books done (Kudos to Whovi. He got a sweet pence copy Howard the Duck #1 done!).

I babysat the PopCulturePins booth for a while, so Andrew could stretch out his bad leg. Around four, I heard some dudes talking about what a sweet Dr. Strange sketch Brunner was working on, so I started getting antsy. When BB came back, I went to see Frank and it was indeed my book. He knocked it out of the park. It is so good, I bet it ends up in the gallery. Anthony and I did a deal on a couple of books and then I headed home.

Next year is supposedly in a much better venue, and I heard rumors about the guest list for next year that sounded realllly good. Viva Gem City Con!!

Sounds like you had a good day to me (thumbs u

Thanks, Pat. It was pretty cool. There was supposedly some really sweet late Silver DC (talking 9.2+) from a consignment that one of the Indiana dealers had. It was on the far wall and so mobbed that I never even went near it. :cry: Some dealer ended up cleaning it all out at a deep discount. Based upon the one Metamorpho that Buck got, a lot of it is probably headed to Sarasota . . .

hm

Have you seen Don Kramer's work? (I think that is his name) He is doing the JSA vs. Kobra book coming out in June. HIs work is tight and sort of Mahnke-like. I plowed the field for you to call him. We talked a little bit about all the "Minnesota guys," and their sketchy art rep. :whistle: I am going to get a couple of pages from him.

Let's see the Dr. Strange sketch cover (thumbs u

Its nice.

I did get a picture of it before my Blackberry died. Probably the best I can do would be to text or email it to JJ or Anthony and have them post it. The likelihood of that is slim to none and slim just left town. I hope it will be in the Gallery in about 7 weeks.