• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has the CGC's grading become a little less strict lately?

32 posts in this topic

I've mentioned before that I am a huge fan of the CGC, but there has been one thing that has been bothering me a little bit lately. Has anyone else noticed that when the CGC switched their labels recently ever since then they haven't been grading older books as strictly as they used to? When I compare an 8.0 in an old blue label to an 8.0 in a new blue label the 8.0 in the old blue label always seems to look nicer. Am I imagining things? Has this already been mentioned?

Adam

I can't speak for CGC, but I've noticed that the grading at my local store has gotten a bit looser also. Stuff that used to be VG is now getting F-. And on some books, the OS seems to have been thrown out the window. Very troubling. Maybe it's a sign of the impending crash? Or perhaps we've gone overboard on the grading and "the market is correcting itself"?

I sent in 3 books about 2 months ago via Standard and got them back in the reasonable time frame. All 3 were graded exactly as I assumed, and all were just as toughly graded as any other books I had (with the exception of 2).

Brian

i've noticed the newer labels are getting slightly more $$$ on eBay than the older labels. confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifforeheadslap.gif

Couldn't that be because the time factor?

The "freshness" of the label and grading probably has the most to do with it right now.

The time factor should start applying in the next year or so. How long does CGC say the microchamber paper lasts again? 7 years?

Jim

I can't speak for CGC, but I've noticed that the grading at my local store has gotten a bit looser also. Stuff that used to be VG is now getting F-. And on some books, the OS seems to have been thrown out the window. Very troubling. Maybe it's a sign of the impending crash?

This is what happened in the early 90's, and if speculator demand is high enough, then grading becomes looser.... because they can sell it at that price and grade.

Also points to a lot of newbie specs entering the hobby, who don't know comic grading from cheese grating.

Interesting.... Could someone post some scans of examples... I have been thinking about trying to send some stuff to CGC but I am concerned that I dont grade as strict.... be interested to see what their standard of late has been....

Here's the deal:

Take the book out of the bag, look at it closely, angle it to the light, and if you can see any flaws, then it won't get a 9.4. thumbsup2.gif

i've noticed the newer labels are getting slightly more $$$ on eBay than the older labels. confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifforeheadslap.gif

I agree totally, as the amount of "storage damage" will be far less in a newly slabbed book that hasn't been flipped and shipped across the country a dozen times.

I think it has. I have a few 9.6's and i recently got a Superman redson #1 back and they graded it a 9.6. I cant beleive it because it just isnt that good. I dont notice anything wrong with my others that are graded the same and this comics spine just has white all the way up. Ive heard they were really strict back during the red modern labels but i dont own any from that time

How do they know that its production. It could have been in shipment. When i said white i meen that the spine is creased so white is coming though from top to bottom. in a few areas. I dont think its from production. I think a lot of books are damaged in shippment.Sometimes im at my comic shop im amazed at the condition these books arive in. some look like they were dragged to the shop.

The "freshness" of the label and grading probably has the most to do with it right now.

{snippage}

CGC labels are not fruit. An old 9.4 should be the same as a new 9.4.

How do they know that its production. It could have been in shipment. When i said white i meen that the spine is creased so white is coming though from top to bottom. in a few areas. I dont think its from production. I think a lot of

The stiffer glossy paperstock with the ink + varnish often cracks when the comic is bound and scored (printer speak for folded). I think this is what you are referring to on the spine. This is definately a production issue, and I always wondered how CGC evaluated this spine crack.

I'd think there are certain comics -- due to the color ink, the coverage and how quickly the comics were folded after the ink and varnish was applied -- where it's impossible to find an issue without the crack.